You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-26 15:30:53

viniosity
Website

question about testing repo

I wanted to grab the 2.6.16 kernel from the testing repo without grabbing everything else from testing.  Is this something I can do? 

Alternatively, if I upgrade to testing and then remove the testing repo after I do that will I mess up my system?  As far as I can tell, doing this will make pacman give you warnings that the installed version is newer than the current version.. a warning that goes away once the file in testing makes its way to current. 

This is my main machine so I'm hesitant about doing a full upgrade, but I'd like to have the new kernel asap to see how it works with my system.

#2 2006-03-26 15:45:31

_Gandalf_

Re: question about testing repo

You can get the kernel alone.. Activate testing Repo and

pacman -Sy testing/kernel26

and then desactivate testing again
ATTENTION: if u're going to do full pacman -Syu, u'll get dbus0.60 and gnome 2.14 (if u're using gnome), or KDE 3.5.2 if u're using kde... wink

#3 2006-03-26 15:48:06

dswain
Website

What I would do is add the testing repo, and then do a search for it like so:

pacman -Ss kernel26
testing/kernel26 2.6.16-6
    The Linux Kernel and modules
current/kernel26 2.6.15.6-2
    The Linux Kernel and modules
extra/kernel26-km 0.6.1-1
    Video4linux interface to video capture capabilities of Mach64, Rage128 and
    Radeon cards for the Kernel 2.6
extra/kernel26archck 2.6.15.archck7-4
    The Linux Kernel and modules, with the ArchCK patchset.
extra/kernel26mm 2.6.13.rc5.mm1-1
    The Linux Kernel and modules (IDE built-in, SCSI as modules) [mm Kernel]

From that point, I would do this since I want it from the testing repo:

pacman -S testing/kernel26

That should do it, and I imagine it will only install the packages required to install the kernel to be updated (which isn't a lot I don't believe).

#4 2006-03-26 22:44:22

DeusExLinux

Also, if you put the testing repo under the main and extra repos in the pacman.conf file, it will get things from the main and extra repos first.

#5 2006-03-27 11:51:51

codemac
Website

Just to clarify on what DeusExLinux was saying:

The order that you place your repos in /etc/pacman.conf matters.  If [current] is at the top, then that has priority over everything below it.  So if you place [testing] above [current], and then run pacman -Syu, your system is now running everything possible out of [testing].  If you place [testing] at the bottom of all your repos, then it will only affect apps that you have explicitly installed from testing.  pacman -Syu now does what you probably would want it to.

#6 2006-03-29 15:32:49

FrankTM

If you put testing way down in your pacman configuration you can install it the way like gandalf said it.

pacman -S kernel26

pacman -Syu won't install any testing packages this way

Here is your parachute and here is the manual. Welcome to Linux.

#7 2006-03-29 17:24:25

Moo-Crumpus

I doubt this is true.

If you enable testing and move it's entry in pacman.conf in the last order, you would recieve packages from all other repositories with priority, relating  to their order in the list of pacman.conf. The first entry has the highest priority, and so on.

This said, if there ever is a package in testing that has no mature predecessors in current, extra etc, and you would request pacman to fetch it, it would be installed from testing. So, if you search for a package with pacman and have testing enabled, you should have a look which repository contains the package. If it is only in testing, you might as well recieve it's dependencies from testing.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#8 2006-03-29 20:08:25

DeusExLinux

Honestly, I have testing as my second repo, and I rarely run into issues. You just need to watch what you;'re upgrading (like Xorg)

Board footer