You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-23 21:15:34

smnpl

[SOLVED] UEFI / Grub Partitioning

Hi,

first of all, I'm very sorry, that I'm asking a question of that level. Though, I've gone over the Wiki, an several attempts to google an answer... The topic seems to be very vague, and more or less I just want to have a confirmation of what I'm planning to do.

I want to install Arch on my uefi enabled notebook; no secure boot; Grub as bootloader.
What I already understood, is:

- GPT Table isntead of MBR
- Create an EFI system partition (like this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … Partition)
- Proceed as usual

So what I'm planning these partitions:
gdisk:
- 1: 1024 MB EFI Partition (bigger then recommended, to be save)
- 2: / (of any size)
- 3 /home (of any size)

Is that sufficient?
Do I need that 1 megabyte EF02 disk for Grub like on MBR?
Do I need /boot partition?

I'm confused (Probably obious) and a bit desperate, as it seems that I'm not able to find a proper guide on that. Please help.

Best regards
Simon

Last edited by smnpl (2015-05-25 12:01:19)

The road to wisdom? - Well, it's plain and simple to express: Err and err and err again but less and less and less. - Piet Hein -

#2 2015-05-23 21:53:38

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] UEFI / Grub Partitioning

smnpl wrote:

1024 MB EFI Partition (bigger then recommended, to be save)

While this is unlikely to cause any problems, I do have one laptop that will only accept an EFI system partition if it is 512MiB -- if you want to be "save" [sic], you should probably make it that size.

smnpl wrote:

Do I need that 1 megabyte EF02 disk for Grub like on MBR?

You only need an EF02 partition if you intend to boot in non-EFI mode as well (using GRUB). Also, that partition type is not needed on MBR disks (it is only used on disks with a GUID partition table).

smnpl wrote:

Do I need /boot partition?

Yes, you need a separate /boot partition mounted to the EFI system partition -- make sure it is FAT(32) formatted.

#3 2015-05-23 22:43:21

ewaller
Administrator

I might suggest Gummiboot instead of Grub.  I am a long time user of Grub -- all on MBR systems, I gave it up when I moved into my first UEFI system.  Gummiboot is dead simple to get working.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2015-05-25 11:45:51

smnpl

Big thanks you two. Both tips helped me to get on track an my system running and get a little better understanding of that topic.
Its now:
sda
- 1: /boot (512mb) ef00
- 2: /swap
- 3: /root
- 4: /var
- 5: /home

As well I tried gummiboot, which is working fine!

Best regards

The road to wisdom? - Well, it's plain and simple to express: Err and err and err again but less and less and less. - Piet Hein -

#5 2015-05-25 11:49:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Excellent news!

Please add "[SOLVED]" to the thread title for the benefit of others wink

Board footer