You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-23 22:34:35

Quanttek

[SOLVED] Arch failed to mount /boot

Hey there,

after my btrfs filesystem somehow got corrupted, so it would only mount my "/"-filesystem as read-only, I backed it up with rsync, recreated the partition and then transfered the data back. After that, I was unable to boot anymore with this error:

[1.593560] systemd-fsck[306]: fsck.fat 3.0.27 (2014-11-12)
[1.594292] systemd-fsck[306] /dev/sda1: 98 files, 43105/98304 clusters
        Mounting boot...
[FAILED]Failed to mount /boot.
See "systemctl status boot.mount" for details

SystemD the prompted me with it's emergency mode, but this didn't react to any keyboard presses, so I couldn't check the exact error with sth. like journalctl -xb. I then booted a, today downloaded, Arch Live-CD and tried to access the logs via journalctl -b -D /var/log/journal/ didn't work out: It only had the logs from before the boot problem.

With a bit of googling I figured a way of fixing this could be chrooting in and reinstalling initramfs, typing chroot errored out with:

chroot: failed to run command /usr/bin/zsh: No such file or directory

I tried commenting out /boot in fstab, but at booting something [FAILED] with Load Kernel Modules and I instantly got prompted with a blank, black screen with a "_" blinking in the top left corner, like a normal console, expect any prompt of any kind was missing and it didn't react to my keystrokes, similiar to SystemD's emergency mode

So essentially two smaller problems with few google results are hindering me from solving my big problem.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Quanttek

Last edited by Quanttek (2015-05-26 09:48:21)

#2 2015-05-23 22:48:28

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Arch failed to mount /boot

Did you use UUIDs when you set up your boot loader and /etc/fstab.  After reformatting, that volume will have a new UUID.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-05-23 23:05:36

Quanttek

Did you use UUIDs when you set up your boot loader and /etc/fstab.  After reformatting, that volume will have a new UUID.

Yes, after reformatting /dev/sda4 I changed /etc/fstab accordingly, but I'd wonder if this would affect /dev/sda1.

To make sure I regenerated fstab with genfstab -p -U from the Live-CD and it matched my new fstab file exactly.

#4 2015-05-23 23:18:06

ewaller
Administrator

Okay, lets work the chroot first.  Did you use chroot or arch-chroot? Specifically what command did you use?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2015-05-23 23:38:38

Quanttek

For whatever reason this time my system booted a little bit slower than before and I could spot a "[FAILED] Start Load Kernel Modules",  so this isn't unique to the car,  where I comment out /boot. So I would guess this is the reason for the not working keyboard and the failed mount, but I can't see which module as long as I can't see the logs (see OP)

#6 2015-05-23 23:43:10

Quanttek

ewaller wrote:

Okay, lets work the chroot first.  Did you use chroot or arch-chroot? Specifically what command did you use?

I use plain "chroot". "chroot --help" works, but not chroot itself. I also tried to rebuild the symbolic link from the normal lib -> /usr/lib to /lib/* -> /usr/lib/* and it didnt work

#7 2015-05-24 00:07:23

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Quanttek wrote:

I use plain "chroot". "chroot --help" works, but not chroot itself. I also tried to rebuild the symbolic link from the normal lib -> /usr/lib to /lib/* -> /usr/lib/* and it didnt work

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ch … ing_chroot

Probably easier to use `arch-chroot` though:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ch … rch-chroot

#8 2015-05-24 00:12:27

ewaller
Administrator

Okay, but what were the first and second parameters you passed to it?

Edit: Head on a Stick is ahead of me smile

Last edited by ewaller (2015-05-24 00:13:11)

---

#9 2015-05-24 01:27:05

Quanttek

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Quanttek wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ch … ing_chroot

Probably easier to use `arch-chroot` though:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ch … rch-chroot

Thanks. Using arch-chroot worked out. It is/was certainly no environment issue, I even tested it with both i386 and x86_64.

I used it to reinstall mkinitcpio and to update my system, so now on boot I dont get a failure on mounting /boot anymore, but I still have problems with Load Kernel Modules.

My screen now looks something like this: http://m.imgur.com/ATWHJoq

Again it's not reacting to any keystrokes. I'll get some sleep now and will look tomorrow into getting some information from the journal logs.

#10 2015-05-24 10:23:52

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Quanttek wrote:

I still have problems with Load Kernel Modules.

I have seen that error after failed custom kernel compilations -- try re-installing the linux package.

#11 2015-05-26 09:48:07

Quanttek

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Quanttek wrote:

I still have problems with Load Kernel Modules.

I have seen that error after failed custom kernel compilations -- try re-installing the linux package.

So I reinstalled linux and also now was able to look into the logs: The kernel module, which failed to load was - again - fglrx. It seems like it got updated and now I needed to recompile it again: catalyst_build_module all. The problem was, that my keyboard didn't work in emergency mode, so I wasn't able to spot it early and save myself a lot of trouble. But thanks to you guys, I could access the logs again and fix it.

Board footer