You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-02 08:56:12

fofoni

Linux console goes crazy ("cpu pipe a fifo underrun") when Xorg quits.

Hi,

>> Short story:

When I run `startx', it works alright, it runs the `twm' window manager. When I quit twm, however, the display starts behaving like an old TV with a bad signal. I took a picture:

erro1.jpg

>> Long story:

I installed Arch on a new DELL Inspiron and, following the wiki ([1] and [2]), installed:

xorg-server
xf86-video-intel
mesa-libgl
libva-intel-driver
libva
libvdpau-va-gl

My xinitrc is ends with:

exec ~/.tdm/sessions/TWM

which in turn exec's the following script:

#!/bin/sh
twm &
xterm -fg white -bg black &
exec xmessage "Exit"

So far so good; I log in, run `startx', and when I quit the `twm' window manager, havoc starts (see the "short story" above hehe). In the above "screenshot" you can see that the display shows the console in "three times" in the same display, each of the three overlapping each other, and all of them blurry, etc. But I can still type, and everything appears to be working alright, except for the display. Sometimes, when the display stops blinking for a second, I can read the kernel message invading my bash prompt:

[drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun

Changing virtual terminals doesn't work. If I ssh into the computer, it all seems calm, it all works, and when I run `journalctl -xe', I can read clearly the same kernel message above.

I have tested both the default kernel, and the `linux-lts' kernel, and I can reproduce the above in both of them (both always boot in UEFI mode, with Intel Microcode properly loaded). Both the cpu and the graphics card are Intel. Here's some info:

[smt-dell ~]$ uname -a
Linux smt-dell 4.0.4-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 22 03:05:23 UTC 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[smt-dell ~]$ lspci |grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics (rev 09)

I have absolutely no idea what this bizarre behaviour could mean, or what package could be acting poorly. Does anyone have the slightest idea?

Thanks

Last edited by fofoni (2015-06-02 09:26:28)

#2 2015-06-02 10:24:26

smnpl

Re: Linux console goes crazy ("cpu pipe a fifo underrun") when Xorg quits.

Hi,

seems to be the same for me on my Lenovo T450s. Its a very recent install (about two weeks ago). Since I don't quit X that often, I've been to lazy to investigate till now. Though, if you get a solution, that might help me as well...
I'm running xfce, so doesn't seem to be a twm issue.

Simon

The road to wisdom? - Well, it's plain and simple to express: Err and err and err again but less and less and less. - Piet Hein -

#3 2015-06-02 18:59:34

fofoni

Solved. It was just a matter of following the recommendation that was given when I installed the video driver `xf86-video-intel':

This driver uses SNA as the default acceleration method. You can try
falling back to UXA if you run into trouble. To do so, save a file with
the following content as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf :
  Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
    #Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
  EndSection

#4 2015-06-02 21:40:06

ArmlessJohn

I had the very same issue until moments ago with a Dell Inspiron 13 7348. Solved with the same method

#5 2015-06-05 14:14:30

Nighpher

Thanks man.... you helped me solve the same problem on my Asus Zenbook UX305!!

#6 2015-06-19 10:27:25

smnpl

Today I came across some problems with the provided solution of using uxa mode. On my laptop, Thinkpad T450s, running xfce the laptop reacted very slow on inputs, when compositing was activated in xfce settings. Meaning for example window switch with Alt+Tab took ~ 1 second to activate and typing in terminal emulator / vim was delayed as well.
Deleting the 20-intel.conf again solved the problem.

That just fyi, in case some one gets the same issues.

The road to wisdom? - Well, it's plain and simple to express: Err and err and err again but less and less and less. - Piet Hein -

#7 2015-06-19 10:31:56

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

I guess "SNA vs UXA" is the new "Nvidia vs ATI".

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#8 2016-05-10 14:43:45

nishac

I am running KDE on a system 76 Gazelle. I thought the problem was with KDE since I couldn't login through the KDE login manager unless I typed my password many times. I just never investigated what the problem was but now it seems to have gone away after I followed this method! 

Thank you very much!

#9 2016-05-10 14:55:07

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Glad you solved your problem, nishac, however, please do not "necrobump" old topic. Thanks.

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer