You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-09 22:11:56

chaolis

(Solution)Cannot boot on other machine after installing in VM from USB

I had this issue, and it was very hard to find the solution, so I thought I would share it. I have ARCH running on a usb 3.0 128 GB Flash drive with no swap file.
After installing in vmware, i moved to a physical PC, and after grub it would always say cannot find root partition.
I kept thinking the issue was the UUID, I checked and checked, all was good. finally I found this fix....

This occurs right after installing to USB on a brand new install, ive replicated it about 5 times in a row.

"Instead of booting with the normal image, I used the fallback version and managed to boot into the system. As it turns out, Linux could not detect any drives due to the block mkinitcpio hook (responsible for block devices) missing from the default image. This was due to it being placed after autodetect in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. To fix this, the HOOKS=... line in that file needs to be changed so that block comes before autodetect
Before the fix:
HOOKS="base udev autodetect block modconf filesystems keyboard fsck"
After the fix:
HOOKS="base udev block autodetect modconf filesystems keyboard fsck"
Running mkinitcpio -p linux to regenerate the initramfsthen fixed the problem permanently."

hope this helps someone else.

Thanks,

Board footer