You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-06 01:45:14

sinister

via82xx and alsa so the kde3.2 has sound

Ok. i realize there have been several posts about this but i am getting confused reading 15 different ways to do it. I want sound to work . Plain and simple. I'd like to install alsa and have it work so that when i install the kde3.2 build I will have sound. I've tried several different instructions with no avail.

Can someone please post what they did to successfully make their sound work here?

Thanks.

I bought a dog the other day...I named him Stay. It's fun to call him...  "Come here, Stay! Come here, Stay!" He went insane. Now he just ignores me and drools.

#2 2004-02-06 07:41:42

hcman

Re: via82xx and alsa so the kde3.2 has sound

Hello,

I compiled kernel 2.6 with alsa support (and oss emulation); installed alsa-lib and alsa-utils.

I have this sound stuff in my devfsd.conf:

#compatibility names for sound devices.
#So apps can open /dev/dsp instead of /dev/sound/dsp and so on.
REGISTER        sound/.*        MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER      sound/.*        RMOLDCOMPAT

REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660
REGISTER snd/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660

# Load ALSA sound when needed
LOOKUP snd MODLOAD
LOOKUP dsp MODLOAD
LOOKUP sound MODLOAD
LOOKUP mixer MODLOAD
LOOKUP sequencer MODLOAD

# setup some symlinks for oss audio/alsa oss emulation
REGISTER        ^sound/mixer$   CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname mixer
REGISTER        ^sound/mixer$   CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname mixer0
UNREGISTER      ^sound/mixer$   CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink mixer
UNREGISTER      ^sound/mixer$   CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink mixer0
REGISTER        ^sound/dsp$     CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname dsp
UNREGISTER      ^sound/dsp$     CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink dsp
REGISTER        ^sound/adsp$    CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink $devname dsp1
UNREGISTER      ^sound/adsp$    CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink dsp1

I have this in my modprobe.conf:

# Sound (ALSA)
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
alias char-major-14 soundcore

# OSS/Free emulation
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss                                                                                 

# Sound lookup entries for devfs support
alias /dev/sound/dsp sound-service-0-3
#alias /dev/sound/sequencer sound-service-0-1
alias /dev/sound/mixer sound-service-0-0

alias /dev/dsp sound-service-0-3
#alias /dev/sequencer sound-service-0-1
alias /dev/mixer sound-service-0-0

And finally I have these modules loaded in rc.conf:

snd-via82xx snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss
(I have an onboard via chip on my latop see).

Also, make an 'audio group'  and add yourself to it.
The reboot or simply restart devfsd ('killall -HUP devfsd') log out and back in and load the modules by hand.

I hope this is kinda what you were looking for.

HC

#3 2004-02-06 15:49:44

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I'm intending to research alsa sound on arch, get it working on my system and write a readable howto next week. No gaurantees on that time frame or that it will be any good to you though.

I have a via82xx as well, so it might be helpful. I might not get anything working, and would end up eating my words, of course.

No help here, just info, but good luck.

Dusty

#4 2004-02-06 20:30:39

Caesium

well i spent the better part of 2 days on getting sound to work the way i want it to with alsa 1.0.2c, kde 3.2 and the 2.6.2 kernal on a nforce2 platform. the result? Success.

I recompiled my kernal with nothing but the soundcore suport (no alsa no sound card specific suport), then compiled alsa from the most current source at www.alsa-project.org. had to do some tinkering with the start script (alsa checks for 2 directories to place the alsasound script neither of which exist for arch apparently). added the changes to modprobe.conf, added some configuration to /etc/asound.conf and changed ther permissions on the devs.
In kde I turned off the sound system, set the audio device to no audio input/output and in the system notifications panel -> player settings, set an external player "aplay".

in xmms I configured the alsa plugin to use software volume control and disabled mmap mode (disabling mmap mode got rid of all the clicks and crap i was getting and I'm useing software volume control so it can remain independint of the general pcm vol control that everything else is useing).

at the moment I can play multiple sounds from diffrent consoles at the same time as haveing xmms playing and hearing system event sounds from kde and sounds from some lame screen saver i found, all crystal clear.

my /etc/asound.conf :

#default device is configured to use the alsa dmix plugin. so no other mixer deamons required.

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
    }

pcm.dmixer  {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,0"
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 4096
        rate 44100
    }
    bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
    }
    }

ctl.dmixer {
    type hw
    card 0
    }

my modprobe.conf :

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

# OSS/Free portion - card #2 (cmipci)
alias sound-slot-1  snd-card-1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

I'm a linux noob but got a pretty good grasp on how this is working if you have any questions, it should be pretty much the same process for other sound devices i'd think.

#5 2004-02-07 10:47:06

Bobonov

You are speeking about alsa and kde, these are two separate steps.
At first you have to get alsa working, and verify if it work.
Then  (I suggest after having alsa working)  configure oss in you alsa driver and verify it work
It is not strictly necessary if you use kde but I suggest  you to install esd. This allow you to mix up sounds and verify it work. Having esd installed allow you to access to a wider range of multimedia programs.
After that start up kde. Now kde as sound mixer use artsd and normaly this create problems with esd and alsa. The latest version (in kde3.2) seem to work quite well.
When you configure arts, from the sound setting pannel in kde, in the first tab you have the option to activate it and on the second tab you have the option to chose to what arts should use. Here you can specify, oss, alsa or esd.
If you installed esd and want to use it disable full duplex support (this allow you to have you sound card to recive -line-in or mic- and send -line out or spk- at the same time). Generally this is usefull if you use voice over ip programs.
It is very important to disable it if you user esd-arts otherwise the sistem hangs.  At least my system freze each time I tell arts to use esd. Also arts developer suggest to disable it in general unless you need it and say it is mandatory in arts esd combination.

If you decide to not use esd do not start it, anyway it dies when arts start.

So these are some general suggestion, if you have any problem with any of the steps post again.
From your original post was not so clear if you gets alsa work or not.

#6 2004-02-20 02:13:10

well, i hope that u can help me

i use same module, snd-via82xx but i cant get sound
i probe whit ur configuration and alsa-page  configuration, and modules eppear charged, but i havent sound sad

what could be?

my mb is asus a7v8x-x

#7 2004-02-20 02:56:02

i3839

Make sure that the soundcard isn't muted (check with amixer).

#8 2004-02-20 09:06:38

Bobonov

It is not enoght putt the level to max, under each of the normay apper a M that mean mute.
To unmute an input/output with amixer move to that "column" and press M

Board footer