You are not logged in.

#51 2014-11-16 09:22:57

TheSaint

Re: gummiboot menu does not appear

I think one problem is LVM on the USB-HDD.
Secondly you may not use efbootmgr to write USB entry. The BIOS should recognize the USB ESP and add one entry in its boot list. Later you may modify the boot order.

Then your listing doesn't show any partitions of sdb. Instead there's 4 partitions on sdc.
But your gummiboot status points to partuuid 1af51a36-df2b-48ce-b0df-727d1dacdf30 which is sda4 (internal ?? ) And windows boot loader points to 977cd65a-eba5-11e3-b3df-60029210ec8f which is sdc2.

When I did my USB-HDD I copied all EFI directory from the Arch iso to the HDD ESP. Then I modified the entries gummiboot entries.  BIOS recognizes it and after plugged in I can set a different order. The only problem will appear when USB-HDD is unplugged, the order gets unpredictable some time.
Gummiboot setup would take place only when you are running from USB in EFI mode, otherwise all efivars would point to the internal system. Therefore your fixes should start when you'll get USB running and acting from there.

Try to semplify your tests. What happen when you plug Arch iso in?
Kind of gummiboot status, partuuid list and efibootmgr -v.
If you understand these first points, then you can imitate on your USB-HDD as it would the Arch iso.

Very interesting trouble wink smile smile

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#52 2014-11-16 16:42:28

toni

TheSaint wrote:

I think one problem is LVM on the USB-HDD.
Secondly you may not use efbootmgr to write USB entry. The BIOS should recognize the USB ESP and add one entry in its boot list. Later you may modify the boot order.

Then your listing doesn't show any partitions of sdb. Instead there's 4 partitions on sdc.
But your gummiboot status points to partuuid 1af51a36-df2b-48ce-b0df-727d1dacdf30 which is sda4 (internal ?? ) And windows boot loader points to 977cd65a-eba5-11e3-b3df-60029210ec8f which is sdc2.

When I did my USB-HDD I copied all EFI directory from the Arch iso to the HDD ESP. Then I modified the entries gummiboot entries.  BIOS recognizes it and after plugged in I can set a different order. The only problem will appear when USB-HDD is unplugged, the order gets unpredictable some time.
Gummiboot setup would take place only when you are running from USB in EFI mode, otherwise all efivars would point to the internal system. Therefore your fixes should start when you'll get USB running and acting from there.

Try to semplify your tests. What happen when you plug Arch iso in?
Kind of gummiboot status, partuuid list and efibootmgr -v.
If you understand these first points, then you can imitate on your USB-HDD as it would the Arch iso.

Very interesting trouble wink smile smile

Below the replies:

When I reboot system and using arch linux live USB stick, depending on the usb is connected the external USB HDD it got sda, sdb or sdc. In last post, sda is the external USB HDD, in fact, sda4 is the ESP partition in the external USB HDD where my arch is installed. sdc in this case is the internal HDD.

When I did my USB-HDD I copied all EFI directory from the Arch iso to the HDD ESP.

This is a good idea. Maybe I will do it. I have put arch iso in the USB stick, and I have added a new entry (pointing to the external USB HDD) in the arch live menu that comes with the arch iso in order to boot from USB stick and it works. So I can copy all the EFI directory from the arch iso to the externa HDD ESP. It should work. I will try and tell you something.

I am trying to understand arch iso structure to do the same with my external USB HDD.

#53 2014-11-16 16:44:39

toni

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
toni wrote:

In my arch linux live in USB stick I have added an entry to point to the external USB HDD.

How have you done this?

I can only repeat my suggestion that the Windows-generated ESP is over-riding the HDD ESP.
I don't know why this doesn't apply to the USB stick -- maybe your firmware treats USB sticks & HDDs differently.

I have modified the menu that comes with arch iso live which I have put in the USB stick. I have copied vmlinuz-linuz and initramfs-linux-fallback.img, initramfs-linux.iimg to the USB stick as well. The new entry I have added in the arch iso live menu is pointing to the root in external USB HDD.

#54 2014-11-16 20:46:26

toni

I have checked below two scenarios:

1) Once in WIndows 8.1 if I restart, then external USB HDD boots into arch linux without problems.
2) Once in arch linux, if I restart, then no external USB HDD boots but Windows 8.1 does.

I have copied entire EFI folder from arch linux live iso into /boot (ESP partition in external USB HDD).

#55 2014-11-17 08:47:41

TheSaint

Is Fast Boot, in the BIOS setting, disabled ?
Rebooting from Win8, what do you find on the BIOS boot page?
Once you got Arch started, what says

$ efibootmgr -v
$ gummiboot status

At some point, it's needed to see if the BIOS recognize your USB-ESP. Did you try to make a boot selection from within the BIOS ?

In my case I use to boot UEFI successfully on 2 PC, Asus based PCs. But I have to choose the USB-HDD from inside the BIOS.
I have a Dell inspiron 3521, which doesn't recognize any ESP on the USB-HDD. For that laptop there're several UEFI options, but none is working. It sees just the ISO ESP from a pendrive.
I mean that, in some BIOS, the UEFI is not well implemented. The USB ESP should be listed if there's a device with one.
Maybe you need to use the win8 boot loader sad (there is bcdedit for that)

Last edited by TheSaint (2014-11-17 08:56:02)

#56 2014-12-31 03:06:23

JohnB

I recently changed to a UEFI system and had a start up issue where it would hang while loading Arch. It was very frustrating not being able to see the Gummiboot menu in order to set parameters on boot etc in order to problem solve. So I tried for about a day and a half of formatting, re-formatting, checking every single configuration step I could think of. I too was like the OP and convinced I had everything set up correctly..

Then stumbled across a post which fixed my Gummiboot menu not showing, and thus enabled me to fix my boot problem after.
Goto your BIOS and make sure 'Boot Logo Display' is set to On/Auto and not Disabled.

My motherboard (ASUS Hero VII) obviously shows the Gummiboot menu as the 'Boot Logo', and when disabled would not show me the menu, just a blank screen for the timeout setting in the gummiboot loader file.
Perhaps it is the same for other motherboards too; if so this is quite frustrating as I have always preferred watching the POST over a graphic. I believe many Arch Linux users would be in the same position as me and like to see the POST stuff too..

Let us know if that is a fix smile

#57 2014-12-31 10:18:15

TheSaint

What's the BIOS brand ?
AMI ?

#58 2015-06-15 00:32:59

xijix

I've been beating my head against the wall over this one and it turns out it was the Boot -> Boot Logo Suppression in the UEFI settings.  Switched it from Disabled to Auto and the gummiboot works fine now.

Asus Z97 with the 4/27/2015 firmware which is AMI based (ver 2.16.1240 I think)

Board footer