You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-16 18:03:54

Osiris
Website

Document management for home use

Hello,

I am going to / wanting to scan all documents (bills, insurance stuff, tax, ...) that I receive and want to archive it on my machine. For that I'm looking for some document management system suitable for home use. While I'm not afraid of some configuration (heavy Emacs user), I'm not very fond of big fat solutions that involve setting up an entire LAMP system (ok, the L is already there ;-).

Format will be PDFs mostly that have some meta data added (date, tags, received from, ...).

There is TagSpaces http://www.tagspaces.org/ which goes into the right direction, but still looking for alternatives....
I also thought about adapting Emacs org-mode to it....

GUI prefered, but CLI may be fine too.

What do you use? Any ideas and thought welcome!

Thanks!

Last edited by Osiris (2015-06-16 18:07:02)

#2 2015-06-16 21:11:56

Rob_H

Re: Document management for home use

What are you looking for this system to do? Some desktop environments like KDE Plasma enable you to tag files with arbitrary metadata and search by them if that is your goal.

#3 2015-06-16 21:59:44

genEric

Osiris wrote:

I am going to / wanting to scan all documents (bills, insurance stuff, tax, ...) that I receive and want to archive it on my machine. For that I'm looking for some document management system suitable for home use.

// … //

Format will be PDFs mostly that have some meta data added (date, tags, received from, ...).

Calibre?

I use that for all my pdf's. Great tagging system, and if you give all files a common tag you could setup a virtual library inside to keep it more together, apart from your other pdf's/ebooks.

[genEric@…] ~$

#4 2015-06-17 13:13:55

jakobcreutzfeldt

Just set up a sqlite database. Or, even easier, set up a Recutils database*. You can also look at LibreOffice Base for a graphical database manager.

disclaimer: I work a lot with GNU, but I'm not shilling for them.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2015-06-17 13:14:28)

#5 2015-06-17 17:12:29

Osiris
Website

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

Just set up a sqlite database. Or, even easier, set up a Recutils database*. You can also look at LibreOffice Base for a graphical database manager..

Recutils sounds interesting. Is there a way to attach files to it?

#6 2015-06-18 09:04:29

jakobcreutzfeldt

Osiris wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

Just set up a sqlite database. Or, even easier, set up a Recutils database*. You can also look at LibreOffice Base for a graphical database manager..

Recutils sounds interesting. Is there a way to attach files to it?

I would just put the file's URI in a field in the record.

#7 2015-06-18 11:23:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You could also use a bibtex database - perhaps even with your own document type @Bill.  Then you could choose from a wide array of front ends, most of which give a variety of views and make it easy to open an associated pdf and/or website, etc.  Until I wrote my own cli frontend I used jabref.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer