You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-20 07:25:18

tehdely
Website

For those who don't want to use devfs (me)

I love Arch Linux.  It's my third distro, I've been using it for two days now, and it absolutely owns me.  Definitely a keeper.

The one thing I didn't like is devfs (it's not that it's a bad technology, but more that it's on its way out), so I decided to go with a classic /dev layout while I wait for udev to be finished.

Here's the steps I took:

1) Grab MAKEDEV.  This is a nice automated utility to create all the standard character and block nodes you'd find in /dev.
2) Mount your root partition at a second mount point (I used /mnt/hd).  This is important, as devfs is still running.  You want to make these changes in /mnt/hd/dev.
3) Change directories to /mnt/hd/dev and run MAKEDEV.
4) In your grub or lilo configuration, make sure to change the path to the root device to a standard /dev path (in my case, /dev/hda3)
5) In inittab, where it runs agetty, make sure to change all the tty nodes from vc/x to ttyx (starting at tty1).
6) Do the same in /etc/securetty so you can log in as root!
7) If you are running gpm, make sure to change the path to your mouse device in /etc/conf.d/gpm to a new one (if it's using a devfs path like mine was).  Do the same for any other daemons where such a change might be relevant.
8) Rebuild your kernel without devfs, reboot, and pray.  (It took me a few panics to get this procedure down tongue )

If I'm missing anything, let me know.

Arch linux owns me smile

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

#2 2004-02-20 09:28:17

andy

Re: For those who don't want to use devfs (me)

Hmmm, I, too, tried the LFS MAKEDEV. but AFAIR there were some issues with a slightly different group/user setup. The MAKEDEV tried to change ownerships to non-existent users/groups. Did you run in such problems ?

P.S.:
For the hammer port, I do need this, since devfs is broken in the amd64 kernel. You can't even select it in the various "make *config". There seems to be some memory corruption going on on amd64 uisng devfs.

P.P.S.: I have an almost working base system in (almost) complete 64bit mode.

#3 2004-02-21 11:58:59

d3c3it
Website

i know udev is very very young software atm but ive been trying to get arch working with it anyway *i got gentoo working a treat* but i cant get the kernel to boot, i always get kernel panic of "cannot open itinal console" and thats it

"Covered in blood, Cant understand" - Biffy Clyro

#4 2004-02-21 19:38:53

sarah31
Website

d3c3it wrote:

i know udev is very very young software atm but ive been trying to get arch working with it anyway *i got gentoo working a treat* but i cant get the kernel to boot, i always get kernel panic of "cannot open itinal console" and thats it

you probably do not have devpts enabled and the proper line in your fstab to mount it.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-02-21 20:20:06

d3c3it
Website

ill have to wait till monday to check *testing it on works machine atm* just out of interest are you using udev?

#6 2004-02-21 20:21:48

sarah31
Website

me? no it is not stable so i won't use it. there is also not enohg good info around yet on its use so i will wait.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-02-21 22:50:10

d3c3it
Website

sarah31 wrote:

me? no it is not stable so i won't use it. there is also not enohg good info around yet on its use so i will wait.

i use it on my desktop with ....we shall say an unnamed distro *coughs gentoo and hides* and afaik its working, but i do agree there isnt much info about it, good for a test thou, if it works smile

#8 2004-02-22 18:03:36

cmf

to me it seems pretty retarded to replace devfs with static dev on thegrounds devfs is on theway out as so is the possability of a static dev (in 2.7 Linus plans to randomise node numbers so this will all gone).
Why not test out udev.. or stick with devfs, not like it gives a smaller /dev and doesn't create pointless nodes for stuff you'll never use.

IMHO

#9 2004-02-22 19:10:07

d3c3it
Website

reason being is i just like messing smile to be honest ive not come up to any problems with it currently everything works ok smile

#10 2004-02-22 19:25:32

cmf

fair do's but 'messing' would really be getting udev working instesad.. static dev si just a matter or runninga  ascript and disabling devfs

#11 2004-02-23 09:23:50

tehdely
Website

I am testing out udev, but it's not fully ready yet.  Plus there's a few cases where I need static device nodes.  By 2.7 when this randomization is to have occured, udev will probably be ready for prime time, so my problem will be solved smile

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

#12 2004-02-23 12:11:35

d3c3it
Website

im going to have another play with udev *in work now* , its my thing i like to see how much i can break my works pc and see how i can fix it, soak test as it were smile

Board footer