satchmosgroove

Re: Google Chromebook Pixel 2

ukk wrote:
satchmosgroove wrote:

did you run smart tests?

This is what I get from

smartctl -a -d ata -T verypermissive /dev/sda

:

smartctl 6.4 2015-06-04 r4109 [x86_64-linux-3.19.2-3-samus] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-15, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Read Device Identity failed: Input/output error

The problem started when I left the machine running while I left for lunch.

Hm, if you would have corrupt sectors I would recommend this, but yours looks more like a hardware failure. Can you mount any partitions when booted into the arch install image?

#127 2015-06-08 09:32:20

ukk

Nop, I can't mount the SDD at all sad

I believe that this is either a hardware malfunctioning or problem with the bios as others with similar problem on different machines have reported.

If it is a hardware malfunctioning, then I suppose the warranty is void, as I've removed the physical hardware write protection, and can't get a replacement from Google. <--- correct?

I'm ready to flash a new copy of Coreboot to try to fix through a new copy of Seabios, but I could use some help in setting the correct parameters in the make config. <---- Anyone who knows how to do this?

Would be awesome if I could flash a copy of Coreboot without the scary boot screen.

edit: Well I've tried changing the Seabios now, but didn't help. But the help was really appreciated! wink
        And yeah, that should teach me for buying outside of warranty requirements tongue Now I'm doomed to run from USB :'D

Last edited by ukk (2015-06-08 12:49:29)

#128 2015-06-08 14:17:40

satchmosgroove

did you flash the bios in the first place?

Wasn't there a link in this thread to a guide howto flash the bios? Maybe you try once more?

#129 2015-06-08 14:19:53

satchmosgroove

oh, and one other thought: What is the chrome os recovery tool doing? Does that fix anything for you? Not sure if it also fixes seabios.

#130 2015-06-08 14:44:43

ukk

chromeos flash recovery can't do anything... It only reports that I should contact support. The cause is probably that it can't contact the SSD.

I flashed with the help of John Lewis script, but didn't help. It did change the BIOS, but no effect on the SSD.

#131 2015-06-08 17:24:24

satchmosgroove

Then, hardware replacement it is?

#132 2015-06-08 17:29:15

ukk

Is it possible? big_smile I thought the SSD was non-removable?

#133 2015-06-08 17:56:00

satchmosgroove

I meant the whole pixel ;-) sorry

#134 2015-06-08 19:53:15

ukk

Well, that will have to wait for another time. Running from an USB is okay, just feels itchy.

It really sucks that they had to hardwire it...

#135 2015-06-09 21:05:17

bja

ukk, I experienced this exact issue. I hadn't removed my hardware screw yet, and they took it as a hardware failure.

#136 2015-06-10 17:30:22

bendavis78

My SSD failed to after about a week and a half of running arch. My system started randomly locking up, more and more over the course of a few days. Eventually it locked up completely and after rebooting it couldn't find ChromeOS or Arch. I booted from a USB Arch and gdisk showed weird errors. I couldn't repartition. I tried the ChromeOS repair USB, and that failed too.

Luckily I hadn't removed my hardware screw, and they replaced it under warranty.  Naturally when I got the next one I had to install Arch again and watch more closely what happened. After about a day I saw things locking up again. This time I realized it was due to kernel OOM kills. I hadn't created any swap. After some research I installed zramswap from AUR and that fixed the lockups (also better for SSD since it's not swapping to the drive). I'm now super paranoid about my SSD's health, so I've installed smartmond, and have studied this page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives

#137 2015-06-10 18:40:46

satchmosgroove

wow, I don't have my pixel to double check today, but I am pretty sure I didn't create any swap as well. I just made sure trim is passed through (lvm, luks, kernel parameter) and never had degrading performance of any kind.

How are OOM kills bad for your ssd? And how does having swap on make a difference?

#138 2015-06-17 20:02:30

jackro

Anyone else getting terrible graphics performance (like can't even scroll fluidly in a pdf) on the Pixel 2? I am using the xf86-video-intel driver and can't even watch a YouTube video.

#139 2015-06-18 08:50:11

hobn

ukk wrote:

Nop, I can't mount the SDD at all sad

I believe that this is either a hardware malfunctioning or problem with the bios as others with similar problem on different machines have reported.

If it is a hardware malfunctioning, then I suppose the warranty is void, as I've removed the physical hardware write protection, and can't get a replacement from Google. <--- correct?

I'm ready to flash a new copy of Coreboot to try to fix through a new copy of Seabios, but I could use some help in setting the correct parameters in the make config. <---- Anyone who knows how to do this?

Would be awesome if I could flash a copy of Coreboot without the scary boot screen.

edit: Well I've tried changing the Seabios now, but didn't help. But the help was really appreciated! wink
        And yeah, that should teach me for buying outside of warranty requirements tongue Now I'm doomed to run from USB :'D

I am assuming you just flashed using John Lewis's script, but if you did compile from source, what parameters did you use? I'm trying to get rid of the CTRL + L screen and the boot menu so I can boot directly to Arch without requiring any input after power on. Does the John Lewis script at least get rid of the CTRL + L screen?

As a side note, I was able to disable hardware write protection despite being unable to remove a stripped screw on the back plate in the center near where the groove for opening the lid is. The plate had enough flex for me to lift it up where the write protect screw is and unscrew it at a slight angle. I felt like I was playing Operation when I was removing the washer with a pair of tweezers.

Last edited by hobn (2015-06-18 08:59:47)

#140 2015-06-19 17:29:10

Hideaki

A 4.1-RC8 build with the patches we need for sound and backlight support is available here: https://github.com/raphael/linux-4.1-samus

It looks like the default config disables swap. Does this affect zramswap? I've found that enabling zramswap fixes a lot of small hangs I was getting on Firefox.

#141 2015-06-19 19:52:43

ukk

hobn wrote:

I am assuming you just flashed using John Lewis's script, but if you did compile from source, what parameters did you use? I'm trying to get rid of the CTRL + L screen and the boot menu so I can boot directly to Arch without requiring any input after power on. Does the John Lewis script at least get rid of the CTRL + L screen?

Yes, I ran John Lewis' script, but it only updates the Seabios, so no changes to Coreboot and whatever the scary boot screen is. There is script that you can run so that you boot directly to Seabios, shown in this thread somewhere :)

I've, on the other hand, not compiled from source, so can't help you with that. Would be nice to be able to do it though :)

Isn't there a crazy procedure to replace a hardwired SSD? :D

#142 2015-06-19 23:23:49

genki

Has anyone been running that 4.1 @ https://github.com/raphael/linux-4.1-samus (that Hideaki mentions above) and could comment on it so far?
And/or hopefully be able to provide insight after, say, a week of using it?

#143 2015-06-19 23:40:43

Hideaki

genki wrote:

Has anyone been running that 4.1 @ https://github.com/raphael/linux-4.1-samus (that Hideaki mentions above) and could comment on it so far?
And/or hopefully be able to provide insight after, say, a week of using it?

I just tried to boot it with my setup, but it's not using the standard Arch kernel config so I ran into issues. It will probably work if you are not using F2FS or zramswap. I need those features so I'd have to reconfigure and compile my own to get it to work at the moment.

#144 2015-06-20 00:35:33

genki

I have normally used a standard kernel config so that does sound promising.
I'll chicken and wait for someone bolder than I.
(Please do let me know if/when you do that though!)

#145 2015-06-20 01:23:34

satchmosgroove

Am I making this up or was there a post from tsowell earlier today? He was talking about trying something tonight in regards to sound.

#146 2015-06-20 01:37:00

ewaller
Administrator

satchmosgroove wrote:

Am I making this up or was there a post from tsowell earlier today? He was talking about trying something tonight in regards to sound.

Last post from them was in March

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#147 2015-06-21 08:25:46

hobn

ukk wrote:
hobn wrote:

Yes, I ran John Lewis' script, but it only updates the Seabios, so no changes to Coreboot and whatever the scary boot screen is. There is script that you can run so that you boot directly to Seabios, shown in this thread somewhere smile

I've, on the other hand, not compiled from source, so can't help you with that. Would be nice to be able to do it though smile

Isn't there a crazy procedure to replace a hardwired SSD? big_smile

Hmm, that's too bad. The FAQ suggested that it would at least remove the dev mode screen. Is the script you're referring to set_gbb_flags.sh?

I've been trying to compile the source but I've been running into error after error with coreboot.

#148 2015-06-23 05:45:25

bendavis78

Has anyone been having problems with lock-ups in Xorg? They're becoming more frequent for me. Everything completely locks up except for the mouse. Last time this happened my hard drive failed and I had to RMA my chromebook. So, getting a little nervous again. My dmesg  output doesn't show anything interesting, and neither does the Xorg.0.log. Any ideas on what might cause this?

#149 2015-06-23 18:10:28

Hideaki

bendavis78 wrote:

Has anyone been having problems with lock-ups in Xorg? They're becoming more frequent for me. Everything completely locks up except for the mouse. Last time this happened my hard drive failed and I had to RMA my chromebook. So, getting a little nervous again. My dmesg  output doesn't show anything interesting, and neither does the Xorg.0.log. Any ideas on what might cause this?

I was getting those issues and they were mostly fixed by installing and enabling the zramswap package from AUR. I still notice it happen, although less frequently, if I'm using a ton of RAM.

#150 2015-06-23 23:05:23

bendavis78

@Hideaki, I enabled zramswap a while ago (hoping it would fix it), but am still seeing this issue. Zramswap did help with reducing disk writes, though.

Board footer