You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-16 02:12:32

KuroYoma

[SOLVED] Can't log in a normal user!

I just jumped into archlinux from many other distros yesterday.  I got everything setup, got xfce4 xorg-server and slim login manager.  I have been messing with xorg settings and just thought, "hey I should make a normal user account".  I proceeded to do this.  Logged out of xfce and tried to log in but the screen just flashes a couple of time and then goes back to slim LM.  I tried a couple more time to no avail.  I logged back in as root.  deleted my user and then recreated it.  Reboot this time still same thing.  Did I mess up by waiting till after I got xorg and xfce installed before making a normal user account or is there something I am missing.  I know how to make a user and then I followed the directions on Arch Wiki page.  I add the proper groups.  Still nothing   

Please help

Last edited by KuroYoma (2009-03-16 02:56:10)

#2 2009-03-16 02:46:59

ladislaio

Re: [SOLVED] Can't log in a normal user!

The first thing that I think of with this problem is that you may not have a proper $HOME/.xinitrc file.
To fix this, simply create a file named  .xinitrc  in your home directory, or edit the one already there, to be like this:

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#

exec startxfce4

If that does not fix it, can you log in as this normal user in one of the terminals?  (<alt><ctrl>F2  to access the second one)
Are you able to log into XFCE4 as the root user?

Hope that that helps

mmm... Linux...

#3 2009-03-16 02:55:38

KuroYoma

ladislaio wrote:

The first thing that I think of with this problem is that you may not have a proper $HOME/.xinitrc file.
To fix this, simply create a file named  .xinitrc  in your home directory, or edit the one already there, to be like this:

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#

exec startxfce4

If that does not fix it, can you log in as this normal user in one of the terminals?  (<alt><ctrl>F2  to access the second one)
Are you able to log into XFCE4 as the root user?

Hope that that helps

I feel so ashamed that I forgot to do that.  That was exactly the problem the file was there but the exec startxfce4 was commented out.  Thank You so much for your help!!!!

#4 2009-03-16 03:01:18

ladislaio

You can 'fix' this problem with future user accounts by editing the .xinitrc file in /etc/skel
/etc/skel is the folder that is used for the base when you create a new user.

mmm... Linux...

#5 2009-03-16 03:56:39

KuroYoma

ladislaio wrote:

You can 'fix' this problem with future user accounts by editing the .xinitrc file in /etc/skel
/etc/skel is the folder that is used for the base when you create a new user.

Thank You.  That is a good piece of info.  Thanks again.

#6 2009-04-29 17:47:34

robertoprs

KuroYoma wrote:

I feel so ashamed that I forgot to do that.  That was exactly the problem the file was there but the exec startxfce4 was commented out.  Thank You so much for your help!!!!

While reading this I was thinking "That can´t be my problem, I can´t possibly be that distracted..." Turned out that was exactly my problem. lol

Please do laugh at me. I deserve it smile

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know...
It's what we know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain

#7 2015-06-22 23:45:15

JL-ramos

So, I've a question too.. How do you edit the .xinitrc file in /etc/skel in order to can log as a "new user"?

#8 2015-06-23 10:11:31

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

JL-ramos, please don't bump ancient threads, especially when they're solved.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … bumping.22

There is no longer an .xinitrc file in /etc/skel, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xi … figuration instead. If you still have problems, feel free to open a new thread and link back to this one if you feel it is still relevant.

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer