You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-23 08:42:51

icbrainy

"Uber basic" BASH text input

Hi guys,

I have managed to establish a "from scratch" PXE initrd image consisting of only 44 files and 5.6MB in size. I have encountered a problem though with BASH in regards to (USB) keyboard text input.

Right now I can't get any input response and I get these errors when BASH starts:

bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell

BASH doesn't self-terminate though, thus keeping the system alive and avoiding the "PID 1 terminated" kernel panic.

Anyone got any ideas or inklings?

I am aware that this error can also occur with Xorg's use, but I do not have this in my image. All I'm trying to do for now in my step-by-step learning of Linux is to get a super-simple text-line shell working.

These are currently the drivers present (in currently loaded sequence):

hid.ko
intel_powerclamp.ko
usb-common.ko

usbcore.ko

ehci-hcd.ko
ohci-hcd.ko
usbhid.ko
xhci-hcd.ko

Many thanks.

#2 2015-06-23 11:55:21

Spider.007

Re: "Uber basic" BASH text input

Is this initrd in any way related to Arch? Do you use systemd?

#3 2015-06-24 07:22:39

icbrainy

I don't know what you mean by initrd having connections to Arch Linux since every Linux distro I've seen to date uses them in some way or another as part of the startup process, but I'm piecing this initrd together from scratch by using components and files only procured from the Arch Packages repository (x86).

I'm not yet using systemd as I'm a hatchling when it comes to Arch and Linux's frameworks and I do not want to overload myself by jumping in at the deep end. I am aware of its purpose as PID 1 and its alikeness to MS Windows's services controller (services.exe).

#4 2015-06-24 09:18:47

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

icbrainy wrote:

I'm not yet using systemd as I'm a hatchling when it comes to Arch and Linux's frameworks and I do not want to overload myself by jumping in at the deep end. I am aware of its purpose as PID 1 and its alikeness to MS Windows's services controller (services.exe).

Knee-jerk remarks like that aren't going to get you anywhere.

but I'm piecing this initrd together from scratch by using components and files only procured from the Arch Packages repository (x86).

LFS is better suited for these purposes:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Last edited by Alad (2015-06-24 09:20:46)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

Board footer