You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-26 18:30:30

tredaelli
Package Maintainer (PM)

vps2arch: The fastest way to convert a VPS to Arch Linux!

I just released vps2arch!

This is a tool that allows you to migrate any (in the future) VPS to Arch Linux.

Please test it and report me any fails or success, thanks!

#2 2015-07-25 01:24:55

stabwound

Re: vps2arch: The fastest way to convert a VPS to Arch Linux!

The current version didn't work for me, throwing the error "ERROR: /mnt is not a mountpoint!"

I fixed it by reverting the changes in commit 0d8a64e - the script works again.

It also wouldn't work for me from a Debian base. I forget the errors now, but I could only get the script to finish with a CentOS base. It failed after downloading the packages.

I can confirm it installed and works fine on a 128MB OpenVZ VPS from Securedragon. I was disappointed to see that it consumes about 45MB on a fresh boot because of systemd, much heavier than a minimal Debian 7 install. Any way to make that lower?

Last edited by stabwound (2015-07-25 04:24:56)

#3 2015-07-30 09:58:10

tech4david

This is a great idea and I tried it on my free Koding VM. Unfortunately it wouldn't connect to the VM after the reboot, as I was using the web interface rather than SSH. It just hanged saying "Checking remote VM." I will try again using SSH instead of the web interface, as I guess there's a higher likelihood of that working.

Update 1: now because it won't start, I can't terminate or re-initialise it, and free accounts are limited to 1 VM. :-\
Update 2: nvm, got it to terminate eventually. I'll try the script again over SSH
Update 3: IT WORKED!! This is awesome! Dunno how long it'll last before something breaks, as Koding automatically turns off VMs when you've stopped using them. Maybe it won't work because I'm not using Ubuntu any more big_smile
Update 4: Web interface says it's turned off when it's on, so I think I've just given myself a free always-on VM. Better not tell Koding devs big_smile

TL;DR works using SSH, don't try it with the web client or you'll just lock yourself out of your VM

Last edited by tech4david (2015-07-30 11:01:32)

GitHub: tech4david // Twitter: @tech4david // Email: ʇǝu˙xnuıןɥɔɹɐ@ʎǝןıɐq˙pıʌɐp // GPG: 0E4A 8642 3E38 0B5D D98B 3413 FE28 D356 A90A 8B49

Primary OS: OS X // Favorite DE: MATE // Favourite editors: Atom+Vim // Favourite browsers: Safari+Chrome // Favourite programming language: Ruby

#4 2015-07-30 14:48:16

tredaelli
Package Maintainer (PM)

stabwound wrote:

The current version didn't work for me, throwing the error "ERROR: /mnt is not a mountpoint!"

I fixed it by reverting the changes in commit 0d8a64e - the script works again.

It also wouldn't work for me from a Debian base. I forget the errors now, but I could only get the script to finish with a CentOS base. It failed after downloading the packages.

I can confirm it installed and works fine on a 128MB OpenVZ VPS from Securedragon. I was disappointed to see that it consumes about 45MB on a fresh boot because of systemd, much heavier than a minimal Debian 7 install. Any way to make that lower?

Hi,
I reverted the commit because on some old distros findmnt doesn't work correctly.

vps2arch on OpenVZ was tested on CentOS 6 and Debian 7. Debian 8 doesn't work for errors on removing some directories.

To reduce the footprint you can try using another init system, like OpenRC or Sinit.

WARNING:The only supported init in ArchLinux is systemd, using another init is not supported.

#5 2017-09-26 19:06:23

MarthaParkin

This no longer works and gives PGP errors on verification of keys.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

#6 2018-02-10 21:08:25

chmercesmoreira

Is there any hope this package get maintained by some experienced Arch Linux user?

Knowledge is Irresistible

#7 2018-02-11 00:28:16

eschwartz
Fellow

chmercesmoreira wrote:

Is there any hope this package get maintained by some experienced Arch Linux user?

tredaelli is not only an experienced Arch Linux user, he is a retired member of the ruling class which created and maintains Arch Linux. wink

So, rather than asking for a new maintainer, why don't you tell us why you think it doesn't work? So far all I see is complaints without even an explanation of what is being complained about. Not very impressive...

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#8 2018-02-17 02:33:59

chmercesmoreira

Eschwartz wrote:
chmercesmoreira wrote:

tredaelli is not only an experienced Arch Linux user, he is a retired member of the ruling class which created and maintains Arch Linux. wink

So, rather than asking for a new maintainer, why don't you tell us why you think it doesn't work? So far all I see is complaints without even an explanation of what is being complained about. Not very impressive...

Sorry, I didn't know who was tredaelli, I'm just a newbie user amazed by one of his contributions: https://github.com/drizzt/vps2arch

I don't know if he has the slightly idea of how vps2arch helps people around the world to install Arch Linux on their cloud products without the need of support from the cloud providers.

I didn't find any problems running his script, I was just worried if this package gets abandoned, there is no other similar on the open source community.

Sorry again and thank you for the clarifications.

Knowledge is Irresistible

#9 2018-02-18 03:02:37

eschwartz
Fellow

His forum account title is "Trusted User (TU)". smile

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer