You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-15 12:09:14

therover

Restore default Arch fonts

Hi everybody, I installed new fonts from AUR (the package "ephifonts") and I tried some manual installation of new fonts on my own copying them in /usr/share/fonts/newfontsfolder/fontX and doing:

fc-cache

I'm not sure it is the correct way to do that, anyway I delete the  and I update fc-cache again.
The result is something goes wrong.. I don't know what. But fonts in all windows changes in what I think is a kind of helvetica font.
I never changed the default font setting. In System Setting (I use KDE as DE) the fonts settings show Bookman URW in all choices.
What I want is to restore the original Arch font.

#2 2015-04-15 12:17:53

therover

Re: Restore default Arch fonts

I discover something new.
I deleted the folder created with the installation of the AUR package. And I saw that the fault is that package.
All I wanted when I installed it is to have the helvetica fonts in my Arch distribution in order to use them in a Latex document. I did'n want to set them as default fonts.
I suppose that installing tha package somehow fonts are setted as default choises.

Here is the PKGBUILD --> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ep/e … s/PKGBUILD
Where does it happend?

#3 2015-06-29 05:37:08

spble

I am experiencing the same problem.

I believe the issue is that the actual name of the fonts that are installed is incorrect.

For example, in the output of 'fc-list' is the line:

/usr/share/fonts/OTF/HelveticaNeue-HeavyCond.otf: Helvetica Neue:style=Regular

I don't think "Heavy Cond" equates to Regular style, but I suspect this is the one that causes sites like Facebook to look like the following:
Facebook with bold condensed fonts

I'm not quite sure how the font installation chooses these names though. If one uninstalls the ephifont AUR package there is only one line that is output from the command:

fc-list | grep -i 'Helvetica'

#4 2015-06-29 09:58:41

thisoldman

fc-list only tells you that a font is installed. To determine which font will be used when an application calls for a font face, try fc-match. Note that I use a purchased font for Helvetica.

$ fc-match Sans    # Font to use when app asks for 'Sans' font
DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"

$ fc-match "Sans Serif"    # Font to use when app asks for 'Sans Serif' font
DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"

$ fc-match Helvetica    # font that will be used for Helvetica
helveticaltstd-roman.otf: "Helvetica LT Std" "Roman"

$ fc-match "Helvetica Neue"    # font face used for 'Helvetica Neue'
helveticaltstd-roman.otf: "Helvetica LT Std" "Roman"

Font substitutions are normally set up system-wide by rules set up in /etc/fonts/conf.d. User customisations are usually set within $HOME/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf.

In my '$HOME/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf', this sets up my substitution for Helvetica:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>

<!-- Replace ugly Helvetica -->
    <match target="pattern">
        <test name="family" compare="contains">
            <string>Helvetica</string>
        </test>
        <edit name="family" mode="prepend" binding="strong">
            <string>Helvetica LT Std</string>
        </edit>
    </match>

</fontconfig>

With just a quick look, I did not see anything in the ephifonts AUR package that altered a user's or a system font configuration files.

Board footer