You are not logged in.

#526 2015-05-15 09:15:30

embik

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

d_rail wrote:

Did you guys see Manjaro Pantheon Shell?  I've switched to KDE Plasma 5 for my desktop because of the config options and better multiple desktop compability.  But I will try Panjaro on my laptop. 

Manjaro isn't that bad.  You'll have to remove some packages that you don't want.  Also, you'll receive updates a little slower, which is probably a good thing for a computer that you don't use everyday and religiously update.

Well, Manjaro Pantheon does not ship wingpanel though (it's budgie-panel from what I've seen). It's also shipped with gnome-tweaks and gnome-control-center which *might* break stuff, I don't know. Would be nice to hear some testers reporting in.

Last edited by embik (2015-05-15 09:15:46)

#527 2015-05-15 17:12:28

d_rail

embik wrote:

Well, Manjaro Pantheon does not ship wingpanel though (it's budgie-panel from what I've seen). It's also shipped with gnome-tweaks and gnome-control-center which *might* break stuff, I don't know. Would be nice to hear some testers reporting in.

I tried it last night on a flash drive.  The first thing I noticed was the budgie-panel.  However, it also ships with wingpanel.  But, budgie-panel is autostarted by default.  It is probably because indicators work for budgie.  For wingpanel, it had the sound and session indicators installed and the session indicator seems to work well.  As for gnome-control-center, from my experience, doesn't break anything.  If you are editing settings with both gcc and switchboard at the same time, you will have conflicts.  I'm not sure if it has switchboard installed, but that would be easy to add because it uses  Alucryd's repo for Pantheon apps.  Another thing I noticed was it was using lightdm's gtk greeter, not the pantheon greeter.

It also has the ugly shadows around gtk3 apps that started happening after the 3.16 update.  If anyone has an fix for that, please let me know.  From what I have read, it is because the Elementary theme is not updated for gtk 3.16.  Since Ubuntu 14.04 uses 3.12, it is probably not getting worked on.

Now you may ask, why don't I just use Arch and Alucryd's repos.  I recently did a fresh install to do this, but I couldn't get it working.  Gala would instantly crash and I couldn't figure out why.  Also, I had trouble installing ubuntu's gtk3.  I will try installing Manjaro Pantheon this weekend and report on their forum.

#528 2015-05-16 03:41:00

quequotion
Website

VenomGameworld wrote:

Hi,

In the past I've used Docky in combination with the Dockmanager package so I could use dock helpers. Now I'm migrating to Pantheon and want to use Plank. After some searching I've found that Plank doesn't support Dockmanager, but there is (or should be) support for libunity. I already installed this package, but how can I configure Plank to use it? Do I need to rebuild it with a specific build parameter? I've searched on it, but didn't really find any useful information...
Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Do you mean interaction between plank and libunity? I believe bamf handles that.

#529 2015-05-16 06:09:43

d_rail

quequotion wrote:

Do you mean interaction between plank and libunity? I believe bamf handles that.

Can you tell me why you use libunity/bamf?  I'm confused why you need it.

#530 2015-05-17 07:27:05

d_rail

d_rail wrote:

It also has the ugly shadows around gtk3 apps that started happening after the 3.16 update.  If anyone has an fix for that, please let me know.  From what I have read, it is because the Elementary theme is not updated for gtk 3.16.  Since Ubuntu 14.04 uses 3.12, it is probably not getting worked on.

I found a workaround on the Manjaro forums, downgrade mutter to 3.14.

#531 2015-05-17 19:49:47

joacoej

I don't know if someone already commented this, but they are about to make it in Fedora and Fedora is more bleeding edge than Ubuntu. I think that for Fedora 22 they will have Pantheon.
You may ask them and compile it in Arch with their version.

#532 2015-05-17 22:33:51

cedeel
Website

joacoej wrote:

I don't know if someone already commented this, but they are about to make it in Fedora and Fedora is more bleeding edge than Ubuntu. I think that for Fedora 22 they will have Pantheon.
You may ask them and compile it in Arch with their version.

No they aren't. All the news regarding that is from October last year. The wiki page hasn't been edited since then when it was at 5% completion.

It's not getting added as they have already done their release freeze.

#533 2015-05-21 06:50:35

quequotion
Website

d_rail wrote:

Can you tell me why you use libunity/bamf?  I'm confused why you need it.

I can tell you what they generally do, but I do not really understand how they work either.

Plank comes from the same roots as the left-side icon-panel in unity. Specifically, the method of matching (multiple) running applications to (unified) icons. I guess libunity supplies an panel/xdg interface and bamf is an application matching framework, which is needed to clue the icons in the panel as to which and how many running (x11) applications they represent.

There isn't anything for users to do really, but if you're asking about developing for this framework I'm afraid I have no idea sad

#534 2015-06-04 09:20:34

capybara

Hi! I have a question. Window control buttons aren't working on some windows like dconf-editor or gnome-terminal when using gala. I guess this is related to gtk 3.16, right? Is this a known problem and is there a way to fix this problem?

#535 2015-06-04 11:12:37

C6M6

capybara wrote:

Hi! I have a question. Window control buttons aren't working on some windows like dconf-editor or gnome-terminal when using gala. I guess this is related to gtk 3.16, right? Is this a known problem and is there a way to fix this problem?

it's a know problem, the problem are mutter-3.16 and gtk-3.16,now the decoration are handled by the toolkit (client and server side, i think), and they dropped metacity support from mutter. A possible solution should be to downgrade mutter to the 3.14 version and recompile gala (at least that's what the manjaro guys are doing)

ps: seem like they eos guys are rewriting wingpanel to drop the ubuntu dependencies, here the new panel sourcecode, if someone wanna try out

Last edited by C6M6 (2015-06-04 11:13:18)

#536 2015-06-04 14:33:51

Alucryd
Developer
Website

I just added the new wingpanel to my repo, install "wingpanel-rewrite-x11-bzr" to try it out. Please note that out of all the new indicators, only the datetime, sound and power build properly, and power does not work due to a missing gsettings key. Also, slingshot with new wingpanel support does not build so wingpanel is not really usable for now.
In any case, this is great news, probably the biggest stride yet towards inclusion of Pantheon in [community].

Last edited by Alucryd (2015-06-04 14:34:39)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

#537 2015-06-04 17:36:21

C6M6

some update....
indicator-power to me gives GDbus error
the network-indicator to compile need a patch wingpanel (here the patch)
slingshot-indicator gives this error

Slingshot.vala:36.5-36.41: error: overriding method `Slingshot.Slingshot.get_widget' is incompatible with base method `Wingpanel.Indicator.get_widget': incompatible return type.
    public override Gtk.Widget get_widget () {
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
/home/archie/Scaricati/wingpanel-indicator-slingshot-bzr/src/wingpanel-indicator-slingshot/src/Slingshot.vala:36.5-36.41: error: Slingshot.Slingshot.get_widget: no suitable method found to override
    public override Gtk.Widget get_widget () {
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but if you change, other indicator had this api update

-    public override Gtk.Widget get_widget () {
+    public override Gtk.Widget? get_widget () {

it generate the c code, but hang saying

Slingshot.c:22:18: fatal error: glib.h: No such file or directory

obviously glib is installed...

ps: like always the indicator-session won't restart/poweroff since it still rely on gnome-session (while lock, logout and suspend work)

#538 2015-06-05 06:08:37

d_rail

quequotion wrote:

Plank comes from the same roots as the left-side icon-panel in unity. Specifically, the method of matching (multiple) running applications to (unified) icons. I guess libunity supplies an panel/xdg interface and bamf is an application matching framework, which is needed to clue the icons in the panel as to which and how many running (x11) applications they represent.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

C6M6 wrote:

it's a know problem, the problem are mutter-3.16 and gtk-3.16,now the decoration are handled by the toolkit (client and server side, i think), and they dropped metacity support from mutter. A possible solution should be to downgrade mutter to the 3.14 version and recompile gala (at least that's what the manjaro guys are doing)

Please go here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/gala/+bug/1456787 and click "this bug affects me" AND subscribe to get the Elementary Team to take notice of it.

C6M6 wrote:

ps: seem like they eos guys are rewriting wingpanel to drop the ubuntu dependencies, here the new panel sourcecode, if someone wanna try out

That is great news indeed.  Thanks for sharing.

#539 2015-06-08 18:03:02

SolarAquarion

#540 2015-06-09 18:29:17

SolarAquarion

#541 2015-06-09 20:24:57

Alucryd
Developer
Website

I'm pretty sure the +junk is a hint implying not to use that repo. Anyway I had already uploaded a PKGBUILD on AUR with the correct source: https://aur4.archlinux.org/packages/win … gshot-bzr/

#542 2015-06-09 21:59:38

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

Just a quick heads up here. I notice that some Pantheon packages depend on gnome-settings-daemon-compat. I did drop this package just over a month ago as I have no further use for it. Therefore, if you guys need it for Pantheon, somebody will need to take it forward to aur4.

#543 2015-06-10 00:32:35

SolarAquarion

Alucryd wrote:

I'm pretty sure the +junk is a hint implying not to use that repo. Anyway I had already uploaded a PKGBUILD on AUR with the correct source: https://aur4.archlinux.org/packages/win … gshot-bzr/

the dev told me that i should be using that

#544 2015-06-10 04:53:57

quequotion
Website

Chazza wrote:

Just a quick heads up here. I notice that some Pantheon packages depend on gnome-settings-daemon-compat. I did drop this package just over a month ago as I have no further use for it. Therefore, if you guys need it for Pantheon, somebody will need to take it forward to aur4.

It's also needed for pantheon-3d/lite. I gave it a refuge in pantheon-bzr-qq for now; once I get around to doing the aur4 process, I'll try to get it in there.

off topic: what does aur4 mean for aurploader?

Last edited by quequotion (2015-06-10 04:54:11)

#545 2015-06-10 06:15:47

Alucryd
Developer
Website

SolarAquarion wrote:

I heard nothing like this, but so be it. In any case, I'll wait until that branch comes out of +junk and becomes official.

quequotion wrote:

It won't work, each package is its own git repo now, you only need git and pkgbuild-introspection to use AUR now.

Last edited by Alucryd (2015-06-10 06:16:02)

#546 2015-06-10 10:29:40

SolarAquarion

Alucryd wrote:
SolarAquarion wrote:

I heard nothing like this, but so be it. In any case, I'll wait until that branch comes out of +junk and becomes official.

quequotion wrote:

It won't work, each package is its own git repo now, you only need git and pkgbuild-introspection to use AUR now.

<eSlackBot> <djax> There is no slingshot indicator yet
<eSlackBot> <djax> you can use this one till there is one
<eSlackBot> <djax> <https://code.launchpad.net/~parnold-x/+ … r-launcher>

#547 2015-06-30 19:53:40

olud22

Hi everyone. Am a noob who just joined the arch linux forum. I have been uing linux for a year now starting with ubuntu and its derivatives, including elementary os. I started using arch linux 2 months ago and i remember my first install took me 14 hours on my HP 2000-2D00 laptop. Till date, i have used gnome and xfce as my desktop environments. I just recently bought a MSI GP60 Leopard Pro 2QF gaming laptop and I tried severally to install Arch linux on it.Since i liked Elementary's Pantheon DE a lot, i have unsuccefully tried to install in on top of my arch installs by following the official guide at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon ,this youtube tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5flWWg6Bv0 and this one here at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cKC … sp=sharing .Sadly, it seems like they are all outdated as i keep running into packages that won't compile and or packages that have been orphaned.
My most successful attempts at installation resulted in a wingpanel that has just the only the application shortcut even when i installed the following dependencies : indicator-datetime,indicator-power and indicator-sound. Also, although switchboard-bzr works, some of the plugs are either not working or crashing or just plain not compiling e.g swicthboard-plug-gcc
So in the end, I guess what am trying to say is can anyone who has RECENTLY successfully installed Pantheon DE on Arch tell me how they went about it? Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by olud22 (2015-06-30 19:55:23)

#548 2015-06-30 20:15:44

Alucryd
Developer
Website

You're still better off sticking with GNOME or XFCE atm, though the time when Pantheon will be completely usable on Arch seems to be at hand. If you still feel adventurous, you can find my pantheon repo and a list of packages here, installing "pantheon-unstable" should get you all the latest packages. Also, wingpanel is dead, long live wingpanel-rewrite-x11, some indicators still have issues though. As for switchboard issues, some plugs are still very much WIP, unless you can hack your way around your best bet is to leave it to upstream. BTW the gcc plug was just a temporary solution for them until they had native plugs, it has never worked on Arch and never will (we don't ship libgcc because upstream deprecated it, only ubuntu does because they thought reverting an upstream commit was the way to go), gcc is now mostly covered anyway.

I personally have a mostly working Pantheon session on my laptop for testing purposes, from that nightly repo, but am still using GNOME full-time because Pantheon is not yet production ready for us archers.

#549 2015-06-30 20:22:44

olud22

Alucryd wrote:

You're still better off sticking with GNOME or XFCE atm, though the time when Pantheon will be completely usable on Arch seems to be at hand. If you still feel adventurous, you can find my pantheon repo and a list of packages here, installing "pantheon-unstable" should get you all the latest packages. Also, wingpanel is dead, long live wingpanel-rewrite-x11, some indicators still have issues though. As for switchboard issues, some plugs are still very much WIP, unless you can hack your way around your best bet is to leave it to upstream. BTW the gcc plug was just a temporary solution for them until they had native plugs, it has never worked on Arch and never will (we don't ship libgcc because upstream deprecated it, only ubuntu does because they thought reverting an upstream commit was the way to go), gcc is now mostly covered anyway.

I personally have a mostly working Pantheon session on my laptop for testing purposes, from that nightly repo, but am still using GNOME full-time because Pantheon is not yet production ready for us archers.

Thanks for your reply, i still feel very much adventurous and i will once again try attmept installation.

#550 2015-07-09 23:45:02

ElectricPrism

I wanted to request a status update from those running Pantheon on the indicators, date time, application menu, and shutdown/startup menu.

If I get the date/time, applications & shutdown startup menu working better I'll update my guide - it really is a shame that Pantheon doesn't run 100% like butter on Arch yet as it is a very minimalist & useful shell.

Board footer