You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-03 09:14:39

Jarsto
Website

Ethernet dual-boot problem

My new onboard ethernet - Realtek PHY RTL8201CL on an ASRock K8NF4G-SATA2 board - seems to have a strange problem with dual-booting. After I've booted Windows XP it refuses to work in linux. My system hangs for a time during bootup at "Network" and finally moves on after network has registered as failed.

The only solution seems to be to turn-off the computer and truly power it down (unplug it). Once I've done that everything seems to work again without any trouble. I believe it must be the ethernet since this didn't happen with my old computer using exactly the same ethernet ADSL modem.

Since I don't use windows often it's not a big problem for me, but it is an annoyance. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Jarsto

#2 2006-04-03 16:55:38

test1000

Re: Ethernet dual-boot problem

weird, not that related but i remember an issue with ati users where starting windows first was necessary to initialize the ati card; thus getting it to launch in linux...

maybe you can alleviate this by having some initialize down/up code in your startup code before 'network'.

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

Board footer