You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-06 17:45:58

daplan

[SOLVED]Keyboard layout

Hello

I've been using Arch Linux for more then three months now and I am really happy with it. The wiki is very helpful and detailed to help me out with occasional problems. However there is one issue I am not able to fix. I have a up to date installation of arch with Cinnamon running on top of GDM. When booting my machine, the US keyboardlayout is loaded automatically and I am not able to change that on the graphical interface. Once loged on my preffered Layout (de_CH-latin1) is loaded without any interaction from my side. The strange thing in my opinion is, that when I am switching to a console after booting the correct Layout is already loaeded.

I have been looking trough the wiki and I think my problem can be resolved in the xorg config file. Did someone have a similar issue? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by daplan (2015-07-08 20:54:08)

#2 2015-07-06 17:52:21

respiranto
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Keyboard layout

The Xorg-keyboard is to be set separately from the console one, as described in:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … on_in_Xorg

#3 2015-07-06 18:24:28

daplan

Hi respiratno

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I have browsed around that wiki page as well and I have issued the following command "setxkbmap -layout ch". This layout also showes up when printing the configuration. But still the us keyboard layout shows up when booting. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

setxkbmap -print -verbose 10                             
Setting verbose level to 10
locale is C
Trying to load rules file ./rules/evdev...
Trying to load rules file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev...
Success.
Applied rules from evdev:
rules:      evdev
model:      pc104
layout:     ch
options:    grp:shift_caps_toggle
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types:      complete
compat:     complete
symbols:    pc+ch+inet(evdev)+group(shift_caps_toggle)
geometry:   pc(pc104)
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include "pc+ch+inet(evdev)+group(shift_caps_toggle)"	};
	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc104)"	};
};

#4 2015-07-06 20:11:32

respiranto
Website

So it's working before reboot?

setxkbmap does only set the keyboard-mapping for the current session.
So either you place it in your xinitrc as proposed under #Using_setxkbmap or make it persistent #Using_X_configuration_files.

#5 2015-07-07 09:25:33

daplan

Hi respiranto

It was always working "before" a reboot. My problem lies in the login mask of gdm where I always have the US keyboard preset no matter if I use setxkbmap or make a persistent entry using the documentation provided under  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … tion_files.

Once I am loged in the correct layout is loaded automatically and can be used. Also if I log out and I am promted again with the loginmask the preffered layout (de_CH) is loaded. My Xconfig file under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-keyboard.conf looks as following:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "system-keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbLayout" "ch"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
        Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

#6 2015-07-07 13:14:01

respiranto
Website

So it's an issue with GDM only.
Although the wiki states at one point, that GDM's keyboard layout should be configured exactly as you did, it is written later, that it uses Wayland as backend by default, so I this is probably the issue.

So I think you have to either make GDM #Use_Xorg_backend or you configure Wayland accordingly.

Last edited by respiranto (2015-07-07 13:14:39)

#7 2015-07-08 16:50:28

daplan

Also if I am forcing gdm to use xorg the configured layout does still not get loaded. I tried configuring de (german) layout in case it would not recognize ch (switzerland) but I had the same results. Any other suggestions on this topic?

#8 2015-07-08 16:58:51

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

Two things:

1) localectl creates the file 00-keyboard.conf but yours is 10-keyboard.conf. Perhaps try renaming the file?
2) Try editing ~/.dmrc as per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM#GDM_2.x_layout
(I know it says it's for GDM legacy but I'm not 100% convinced that's accurate. I'll have to test that one out at some point).

#9 2015-07-08 19:15:24

daplan

Thank you very much Chezza

First point worked for me smile. I have been using the beginners guide to setup my arch-installation. Maybe this could be usefull in further releases? Can I mark the post als solved or is that done by a moderator. Thank you also respiranto for your effort.

#10 2015-07-08 19:50:41

ewaller
Administrator

daplan wrote:

Can I mark the post als solved or is that done by a moderator. Thank you also respiranto for your effort.

Please do.  Just edit your first post and change the title by prepending[SOLVED].  We ask that you do it as only you truly know when it is solved.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer