You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-12 00:12:15

jamespharvey20

AUR package depends on another AUR package, clean chroot compatible

How is an AUR package depending on another AUR package handled?

Is the only option to make a monolithic PKGFILE using a package base, that makes separate actual packages for each component?

Or, is there a way to make the AUR PKGBUILD files with dependencies on other AUR packages to nicely depend on them?  So that they could be built by testing-x86_64-build?  I think ideally, an AUR's PKGBUILD could indicate a depend as being located also in the AUR.  Then, its PKGFILE would be downloaded from git and built/installed first.  I don't see a way to do that.  And, even trying to manually move the process along by building from the ground up and installing the .pkg.tar.xz files in a local repo doesn't do the trick, because testing-x86_64-build seems to use the official repos, ignoring any custom ones defined in /etc/pacman.conf (which I see why it ignores local ones - makes sense.)

I can make the leaf packages first and work my way up, and run:

testing-x86_64-build -- -I <depends>.pkg.tar.xz

But it doesn't seem "proper" to me (correct me if I'm wrong) to upload AUR packages in such a way.

#2 2015-07-12 00:26:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: AUR package depends on another AUR package, clean chroot compatible

jamespharvey20 wrote:

How is an AUR package depending on another AUR package handled?

But it doesn't seem "proper" to me (correct me if I'm wrong) to upload AUR packages in such a way.

I may be unclear about what you are trying to do in the middle with building in the chroot - but the start and end of this are pretty clear: users are expected to handle aur dependencies themselves, though some aur helpers (try to) do this too.  As for the end, you don't upload *any* of this to the AUR.  You just upload the PKGBUILD (and SRCINFO) and include the dependency name in the depends array.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-07-12 00:56:19

progandy

testing-x86_64-build uses the config in /usr/share/devtools/pacman-testing.conf

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2015-07-12 02:19:19

jamespharvey20

Trilby wrote:

I may be unclear about what you are trying to do in the middle with building in the chroot - but the start and end of this are pretty clear: users are expected to handle aur dependencies themselves, though some aur helpers (try to) do this too.  As for the end, you don't upload *any* of this to the AUR.  You just upload the PKGBUILD (and SRCINFO) and include the dependency name in the depends array.

Ahh, OK.  Hadn't run into that users are expected to handle dependencies like this themselves.

Regarding the clean chroot, it's probably overkill, but maybe others do it.  I really like the idea of building even AUR packages in a clean chroot, so if all the dependencies are required, the only thing outside the chroot modified is pacman installing a .pkg.tar.xz.  Keeps all of the makedepends out of the main sytem, unless they're externally needed.  (Granted, this means you install them over and over.)

progandy wrote:

testing-x86_64-build uses the config in /usr/share/devtools/pacman-testing.conf

Perfect, thanks.  Adding my local file repo there did exactly what I was looking for.

Board footer