You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-13 22:37:31

Chris Cromer

Laptop keyboard status lights

My laptop keyboard has 3 buttons that have a light to show status. However 2 of them do not work now after recent updates to the system. It is an HP envy laptop. The capslock button, the volume mute button, and the wifi button.

The capslock button is different from the other 2 buttons because the light is off when it's off, and on when it's on. This one works correctly.

The mute and wifi button lights are orange when off/muted and blue when on/not muted. However the light is stuck on both buttons. On the mute sound button the light is permanently orange(muted) and on wifi it is blue(on). The buttons do work correctly when I press them, but the lights don't change like they used to. Any ideas on this?

Chris Cromer

#2 2015-07-14 04:33:40

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Laptop keyboard status lights

Are you using Gnome?
Mute works fine on my Envy as long as I am not in Gnome.
Caps Lock works only in Gnome.  i3 and Openbox it is remapped as a CTRL key.  Of course, the Gnome developers know far better than I how I want my Caps Lock key to behave hmm

I have a WIFI LED?  Some day I'll boot into Windows to see if it still works.  When I do, I'll see if there is an LED there or not.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-07-14 14:51:58

Chris Cromer

ewaller wrote:

Are you using Gnome?
Mute works fine on my Envy as long as I am not in Gnome.
Caps Lock works only in Gnome.  i3 and Openbox it is remapped as a CTRL key.  Of course, the Gnome developers know far better than I how I want my Caps Lock key to behave hmm

I have a WIFI LED?  Some day I'll boot into Windows to see if it still works.  When I do, I'll see if there is an LED there or not.

No, I am not using gnome, I use cinnamon. All 3 buttons work correctly. It's the LED status lights that don't work.

Last edited by Chris Cromer (2015-07-14 14:58:03)

Chris Cromer

#4 2015-07-14 23:19:27

Chris Cromer

Well I found some new information on this problem.

If I boot into windows and press the mute audio button it turned blue like normal. Then after I rebooted into arch linux it was blue as well. The led still does not change when I press the button, but windows can change what color it is, so I assume the settings gets saved into the bios?

Chris Cromer

#5 2017-10-09 12:04:58

ducklin5

Same issue here, hp envy x360, Im running awesome wm, gnome and windows. The volume keys work in gnome and windows but not awesome wm

Board footer