You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-16 03:48:15

sorkaud

[SOLVED]Some qusestions about newbie level (give me advise)

I installed arch following wiki's begginer guide. i skipped a few part which i think it is not important. (keyboard  , network things) and i set up xfce4 DE to my user account(archie)  then, i realized that my root has no DE.(i followed wiki, there is $ mark so i think that's the reason it happen.) when i do 'statx' with root account there is 3 white boxes which is console.

so Q1. Do i have to set up DE for root account? is it better when i fix the bug?

Q2. if i should set up DE for root, then i will set up xfce4 double time so, isn't it waste of my SSD storage?

and other topics 

Q3. i give user account sudo permission which is fullly permitted. is it all right? since it is my PC there will be root and 1user only. isn't it too powerful? isn't there any chance to destroy my system by my hand? while using user account?

purpose of PC: web surfing, latex , word, excel etc...

Q4. recommandation of latex program for me plz for xfce4

Q5. what is openbox? does it have no mouse cursor?

Q6. when i boot and login, there is root@arch or user@arch. this is console right?   and i read display manager section in wiki(general reccomandation). DM has console also( for example, CDM, console TDM ...) . so if i'm right, that first black console has name also. what is the name?

Q7. when i'm in xfce4 . there is console ( ctr+alt+ Fy , y=number , y=/ 1) and there is also terminal( basically xfce termial ,rignt? ). Are they  different?  it confused me. and if i do something on C+A+F2 console. then is it apllied to my user system? why there is many console? 

sorry for my poor english. i tried haha.

plz help newbie.

umm.... it takes me 3 full days to install arch, and there is many things i have to do like battery, cpu freq, touchpad,latex,firefox etc . as you can see i am not familiar with linux computing, console

Last edited by sorkaud (2015-08-13 11:09:03)

#2 2015-07-16 04:16:12

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED]Some qusestions about newbie level (give me advise)

Q1 and Q2: Why would you want to run X as root?
If you haven't set root's .xinitrc, it uses /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. Read that file to see what it runs.

Q3: As root or with sudo you can remove files you shouldn't remove, for example.
Q4 and Q5: Please read the wiki to find out what latex applications are available, what is openbox etc.
Q6 and Q7: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_console is a different thing from X / DEs / display managers.

Last edited by karol (2015-07-16 04:16:33)

#3 2015-07-16 06:59:14

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Some qusestions about newbie level (give me advise)

Please read the Forum Etiquette, notably https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer