You are not logged in.

#176 2013-11-03 17:08:10

kachelaqa

Re: PkgBrowser: A utility for browsing pacman databases and the AUR

pierre5549 wrote:

After different updates, when I star pkgbrowser from a terminal, I get the following message : WARNING: config key has an invalid type: bookmarks/names

The soft opens, but nothing appears in the update category even if there is plenty on them. I've tried to remove  "pkgbrowser.conf", but it didn't change anything.

The error message relates to a known problem, which seems to have been caused by recent upgrades to qt4 and/or pyqt4. At the moment, I'm pretty sure this is not a bug in pkgbrowser. But tbh I'm not exactly sure what the actual root problem is at the moment - removing "pkgbrowser.conf" should definitely fix it, though.

As for the updates not appearing: I can't reproduce this.

Are you absolutely sure there are updates available on the systems in question? What is the output of pacman -Qu? Have you downloaded the latest package databases from the server (i.e. pacman -Sy)? Pkgbrowser is completely read-only - it won't automatically refresh the system for you.

Last edited by kachelaqa (2013-11-03 17:10:43)

#177 2013-12-13 22:02:00

kachelaqa

version 0.17.1 has been released today.

please see the changelog for further details.

#178 2013-12-24 16:05:43

lelele

My Foreign -> Not Installed doesn't show anything. Already updated the cache. Do I need to edit the config files?

"In hearing news about Adobe Flash dropping linux support."
GERGE: There is nothing wrong with this; as already pointed out, Flash is dead outside Windows.
Awebb: That's like saying fish is dead outside the ocean, GERGE.

#179 2013-12-24 16:50:29

Sanne

lelele,

Foreign -> Not Installed is blank for me also, but I guess that's because I only have foreign packages from aur and local. Since those are not repositories, I wouldn't expect PkgBrowser to list anything.

Maybe you would see something if you activate a real thirdparty repository. Or have you?

Don't know if I'm right, though, let's see what kachelaqa says.

Last edited by Sanne (2013-12-24 16:51:17)

If our currency were not money but appreciation and acknowledgement for what we do for others, for the community, for the benefit of all, we would have paradise on earth.

#180 2013-12-24 18:08:23

kachelaqa

lelele wrote:

My Foreign -> Not Installed doesn't show anything. Already updated the cache. Do I need to edit the config files?

Nothing should ever appear in Foreign -> Non-Installed, so you don't need to edit anything. The same set of filters is used for all the top-level items (except for the Categories, of course).

Was there something you were expecting to appear in there?

#181 2013-12-24 18:31:18

kachelaqa

Sanne wrote:

Foreign -> Not Installed is blank for me also, but I guess that's because I only have foreign packages from aur and local. Since those are not repositories, I wouldn't expect PkgBrowser to list anything.

Maybe you would see something if you activate a real thirdparty repository.

Foreign includes all the installed packages that don't belong to any repo listed in pacman.conf. That mostly means packages installed from AUR (or locally built packages), but it can also include packages that have subsequently been dropped from the official repos. Non-AUR packages are given the repo name of "local" by the pacman backend (i.e. libalpm).

Third-party repos (e.g. archlinuxfr) will show up in pkgbrowser as a top-level item in the Filters tree, along with the official repos.

The "local" repo is not to be confused with user-created repositories on the local system. These will usually have a distinct name, and will also show up in pkgbrowser as top-level items in the Filters tree. I suppose it is possible that someone could call their user-created repo "local" - which would be confusing, but I don't think pacman will disallow it.

Last edited by kachelaqa (2013-12-24 18:38:00)

#182 2013-12-24 19:34:47

Sanne

Ah, great, makes sense. Thank you for the explanation, kachelaqa.

Last edited by Sanne (2013-12-24 19:35:32)

If our currency were not money but appreciation and acknowledgement for what we do for others, for the community, for the benefit of all, we would have paradise on earth.

#183 2013-12-25 08:19:53

GSF1200S

kachelaqa, do you happen to know the gtk element used for links in PkgBrowser? I know its a Qt program, but I have set Qt to use my gtk theme and any links/files in dependency tree are tough to read. Gtk docs are so sporadic and with all the changes in Gtk3 its near impossible to figure out what element is the culprit.

Not at all PkgBrowsers fault though. This is an issue with my gtk theme even outside PkgBrowser. I came here to post that your current approach to coloring in the information section of PkgBrowser is perfect- the background, tables, text and everything exactly matches my Gtk theme (unlike before when I was editing fmt.py), dark theme or light theme. Thanks for your work on this as it shows!

Last edited by GSF1200S (2013-12-25 08:21:28)

#184 2013-12-29 00:12:05

GSF1200S

Have you ever considered adding a VTE tab to PkgBrowser? It would be convenient and it wouldnt change the program's philosophy that all package management itself should be done by the user, though I dont know if it would be difficult to add to the program or maintain. Just a thought...

#185 2014-02-02 02:49:12

kachelaqa

GSF1200S wrote:

kachelaqa, do you happen to know the gtk element used for links in PkgBrowser? I know its a Qt program, but I have set Qt to use my gtk theme and any links/files in dependency tree are tough to read. Gtk docs are so sporadic and with all the changes in Gtk3 its near impossible to figure out what element is the culprit.

Not at all PkgBrowsers fault though. This is an issue with my gtk theme even outside PkgBrowser. I came here to post that your current approach to coloring in the information section of PkgBrowser is perfect- the background, tables, text and everything exactly matches my Gtk theme (unlike before when I was editing fmt.py), dark theme or light theme. Thanks for your work on this as it shows!

I'm sorry I haven't answered this before now. I haven't visited the forum for quite a while, and stopped getting notifications.

The link colour in PkgBrowser is controlled by the desktop settings for link colours. I have never used gnome, so I have no idea what the specific settings are. Pkgbrowser is set up to automatically detect palette changes. At the moment, I use an openbox-based desktop, but kde system-settings is still functional. When I change the link color in kde system-settings, they are immediately reflected in PkgBrowser, so I know that the basic mechanism still works.

I would hope that changing an equivalent setting in gnome, would have the same effect, but I have never tested it. Hopefully a knowledgeable gnome-user would be able to tell you what the appropriate settings are.

Last edited by kachelaqa (2014-02-02 02:59:27)

#186 2014-02-02 02:58:59

kachelaqa

GSF1200S wrote:

Have you ever considered adding a VTE tab to PkgBrowser? It would be convenient and it wouldnt change the program's philosophy that all package management itself should be done by the user, though I dont know if it would be difficult to add to the program or maintain. Just a thought...

No I haven't. I'm pretty sure it would be possible, but I doubt whether it would be trivial to do. Personally, I prefer having separate applications for this sort of thing, so there would be no motivation for me to do the work.

#187 2014-02-04 01:12:23

GSF1200S

kachelaqa wrote:
GSF1200S wrote:

I'm sorry I haven't answered this before now. I haven't visited the forum for quite a while, and stopped getting notifications.

The link colour in PkgBrowser is controlled by the desktop settings for link colours. I have never used gnome, so I have no idea what the specific settings are. Pkgbrowser is set up to automatically detect palette changes. At the moment, I use an openbox-based desktop, but kde system-settings is still functional. When I change the link color in kde system-settings, they are immediately reflected in PkgBrowser, so I know that the basic mechanism still works.

I would hope that changing an equivalent setting in gnome, would have the same effect, but I have never tested it. Hopefully a knowledgeable gnome-user would be able to tell you what the appropriate settings are.

No worries smile

Ill see if I can use what you mention to find a solution; all of the obvious stuff for link colors does nothing. GTK3 imo doesnt handle things anywhere near as well as Qt does (KDE/Qt in general is much less fragmented). I am using Openbox as well, but use primarily GTK apps.

kachelaqa wrote:

No I haven't. I'm pretty sure it would be possible, but I doubt whether it would be trivial to do. Personally, I prefer having separate applications for this sort of thing, so there would be no motivation for me to do the work.

Thats cool; to each his own and all that smile This would be a ways down the road, but if I coded something, would you consider accepting it into PkgBrowser? I would aim to have it a manually enabled config file option instead of default (with vte itself being an optdepend and all that). Not sure when if ever ill have the time for this...

#188 2014-02-04 01:48:50

kachelaqa

GSF1200S wrote:

This would be a ways down the road, but if I coded something, would you consider accepting it into PkgBrowser? I would aim to have it a manually enabled config file option instead of default (with vte itself being an optdepend and all that). Not sure when if ever ill have the time for this...

Well, I wouldn't want to put you off trying, so I'll just answer by saying: it depends what you come up with... Then again, even if I didn't want to accept it, there's nothing stopping you from maintaining your own fork.

#189 2014-02-10 01:14:21

GSF1200S

kachelaqa wrote:
GSF1200S wrote:

This would be a ways down the road, but if I coded something, would you consider accepting it into PkgBrowser? I would aim to have it a manually enabled config file option instead of default (with vte itself being an optdepend and all that). Not sure when if ever ill have the time for this...

Well, I wouldn't want to put you off trying, so I'll just answer by saying: it depends what you come up with... Then again, even if I didn't want to accept it, there's nothing stopping you from maintaining your own fork.

Lol I gotcha smile

If that time comes ill PM you and we can talk about it. Otherwise, Id just release it on the AUR as a plugin or patch to your package rather than trying to fork your whole project.

#190 2014-05-28 17:47:20

kachelaqa

version 0.18 has been released today.

#191 2015-07-15 04:29:03

tsaber

Hey I'd like to see the results sorted by votes. Ist that possible?

#192 2015-07-15 15:40:06

kachelaqa

tsaber wrote:

Hey I'd like to see the results sorted by votes. Ist that possible?

Not at the moment. It would need an extra column in the package list pane. The main problem I see with it, is that votes only have meaning for AUR packages, so I don't like the idea of having a permanent column for it. But maybe the columns could be made configurable.

I don't work on pkgbrowser much at the moment. But when AUR4 goes fully live on the 8th of August, I will have to release a new version that is compatible with it, and I will probably also port the codebase to PyQt5. I will look at the possibility of adding configurable columns then, as well.

#193 2015-07-17 17:14:23

tsaber

ok nice!
I'm torn between trying everything out myself (the right way) or going by popularity (the lazy way) for things like themes.

by the way:

I just finished a python course and I'd like to get into it some more by helping someone out.
If you have some work you would like to outsource I'd be glad to help.

#194 2015-07-17 18:27:52

kachelaqa

tsaber wrote:

I just finished a python course and I'd like to get into it some more by helping someone out.
If you have some work you would like to outsource I'd be glad to help.

Thanks for the offer, but pkgbrowser is pretty much a done deal apart from maintenance and the occasional new feature.

If you'd like to put your new python skills to good use and help people out at the same time, I would suggest stackoverflow. You can learn an enormous amount by answering questions there, especially if you make a point of tackling questions that are slightly outside your current area of knowledge.

#195 2015-07-17 18:38:27

tsaber

thanks!

#196 2015-07-21 21:04:28

JKAbrams

I changed these lines near the top of backend.py to make it work with AUR4:

AUR_DOM = os.environ.get('AUR_DOM', 'https://aur4.archlinux.org')
AUR_PKG = AUR_DOM + '%s/plain/PKGBUILD'

From my limited testing it seems to work fine.

#197 2015-08-10 01:39:00

kachelaqa

JKAbrams wrote:

I changed these lines near the top of backend.py to make it work with AUR4:

AUR_DOM = os.environ.get('AUR_DOM', 'https://aur4.archlinux.org')
AUR_PKG = AUR_DOM + '%s/plain/PKGBUILD'

From my limited testing it seems to work fine.

Not that it matters, now - but no, that wouldn't be enough to get everything working properly.

#198 2015-08-10 01:40:49

kachelaqa

version 0.19 has been released today.

#199 2015-08-10 19:05:54

JKAbrams

Thank you! Very much appreciated, the qt5 upgrade is a nice bonus.

When I try the Cache-function i get a server-related error:
Could not fetch url:
http://repo-arm.archlinuxcn.org/search? … phonon-qt5

[Errno 111] Connection refused

#200 2015-08-10 20:02:59

kachelaqa

JKAbrams wrote:

When I try the Cache-function i get a server-related error:
Could not fetch url:
http://repo-arm.archlinuxcn.org/search? … phonon-qt5
[Errno 111] Connection refused

Yeah, the ARM server is down - it's been like that for a several days, now. Hopefully it will come back up soon, otherwise I may have to look at switching to the one here (but I'm very reluctant to do so, because it doesn't provide a proper search api).

You can temporarily kill the error messages by setting the environment variable ARM_DOM to an empty string.

Board footer