You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-03 06:28:13

mcubed

Openbox helpers

New(-ish) Arch user here.*  I installed it yesterday, and already got a kernel upgrade this morning ... my, people come and go so quickly here!  big_smile

I was hoping for some general helpful advice about where to look to find useful helper apps to use with lightweight WMs.  Specifically, I'm using Openbox, which I really like.  The keybindings are fantastic -- you can manage just about anything with keyboard shortcuts.  Be that as it may, I'd still like a couple of things I grew used to using Gnome.  For one, a graphical pager of some sort.  Fbpager doesn't seem to work so well with Openbox, and OBpager won't compile.  Right now, I'm using fbpanel just because it has a pager and a notification area, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Beyond that, is there any good resource people use for finding nifty, neat-o little apps that brighten up your day (or just your desktop)?  I've found some cool things just browsing through various threads in these forums, but that's a pretty haphazard method.  Maybe that's just the way it is, though.  The wiki is great for instructions on setting up various WMs, but doesn't go much beyond the essentials.  It would be great to expand some of the sections, at least for the non-DEs, with something like "ten most useful add-ons."  Obviously, what's useful or fun is subjective, but it would be a start.  It's great that Arch Linux lets you choose rather than foisting someone else's choices on you; alas, it's hard to choose when you don't really know what's out there.

The easy thing to do would be use Gnome or KDE, but I wanted to try to keep it simple, a la Arch's philosophy.  So any tips or pointers are welcomed.

*(New-ish because I did use Arch before, for a few months, two years or so ago.)

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson

#2 2006-04-05 17:47:46

bdptcob

Re: Openbox helpers

Pypanel has a pager option. I thought adesklets would too, but I could not find one.

#3 2006-04-09 16:22:37

marteus

Try netwmpager in AUR, works fine with openbox.

#4 2006-04-10 01:45:04

mcubed

Thanks for the suggestions.  I didn't think pypanel had a pager; I must've missed it on the website.  I'll check out netwmpager also.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson

Board footer