You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-30 22:23:12

givinItAGo

[SOLVED] first time install - virtualbox - bootctl problems

I was wanting to use grub2 but the uefi options were for bootctl, so I figured I might as well go for that(especially since Its a virtual machine and no dual boot) but I am having some trouble. when I run the:

bootctl --path=$/boot install

I get

File system "/boot" is not a FAT EFI System Partition (ESP) file system.

I don't know what I have done wrong. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps it being a virtual machine on virtualbox, I should not be trying to use UEFI?

I know I'm a noob. Please advise!

I created 3 partitions, sda1 is 512M and does not display a mount point when I use lsblk /dev/sda. sda2 is 4G and displays [SWAP] under mount point. And sda3 is 14.6G and is Mounted at /

Please advise.

ps. is it true that burg is no longer supported? I was originally planning to use that on my new rig, but this changes my mind. Is burg2 themable? I have never looked into it. Thanks again.

Last edited by givinItAGo (2015-08-01 03:00:01)

#2 2015-07-30 22:43:53

Raynman

Re: [SOLVED] first time install - virtualbox - bootctl problems

It looks like you intend to make sda1 the ESP, so you should make sure it's formatted as FAT and mount it at /boot. If it wasn't mounted before, you'll also want to move the kernel and initramfs from the boot directory on the root filesystem to this partition (or remove the files from /boot, `mount /dev/sda1 /boot`, reinstall linux package).

/boot is the default --path for bootctl. You don't need to specify it (and risk typos with that dollar sign?).

Pretty sure VirtualBox supports UEFI, and completely sure you can find this in the documentation. And there's https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … n_EFI_mode

#3 2015-07-30 22:54:58

givinItAGo

Thanks, I was sure I had it formatted as vfat -F32  but I did it again and I also mounted it at /boot. Now it ran further but it said:

" Not booted with EFI, skipping EFI variable setup. "

I guess its not counted as uefi on the virtualmachine after all? I should probably have looked into that before starting?!

I will continue for now. Thanks again!

#4 2015-07-30 23:13:38

givinItAGo

I finally got to the end of the beginner guide, and I did the reboot. It started up as normal, and I didn't know which option to select, so I chose "Boot existing os" from the menu. This did not work and I had to shutdown the virtualmachine and launch it again. Then I looked up a video on youtube and the guy selected "Reboot" so I tried that, but nothing. What do I do now?!

#5 2015-07-30 23:22:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

givinItAGo wrote:

Then I looked up a video on youtube and the guy selected "Reboot" so I tried that, but nothing. What do I do now?!

Read the wiki, not random (read: outdated, full or incorrect advice) youtube videos.

Also, please read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: your post contains no information that can be acted upon.

Moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2015-07-30 23:25:36

givinItAGo

I don't know what more information to provide. I am installing arch for the first time, on a virtualbox virtual machine. I followed the guide and rebooted, now I can't launch it.  I don't know what to do, and this is all I know to provide! I'll provide any more information you can request, but I don't know what you need.

I followed the guide, set things to uk and used bootctl.

#7 2015-07-30 23:27:05

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with your other thread (please don't crosspost: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … s-posting)...

#8 2015-07-30 23:30:47

givinItAGo

Sorry, I will read the forum rules tomorrow, its late here and I would like to get finished up for the night.

#9 2015-07-31 00:35:15

givinItAGo

The newbie corner, where questions go to die...

Hope I can get some help tomorrow... almost 2am here now.

#10 2015-07-31 00:53:50

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

givinItAGo wrote:

jasonwryan four posts up wrote:

Also, please read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: your post contains no information that can be acted upon.

#11 2015-07-31 00:59:13

givinItAGo

I already asked what you want me to tell you... If I knew what you want, I would give it to you. I've provided you with all that I know to provide.

#12 2015-07-31 02:08:39

scryan

givinItAGo wrote:

I already asked what you want me to tell you... If I knew what you want, I would give it to you. I've provided you with all that I know to provide.

To be honest, your here asking us to take our time to help you.... If we are to do a favor for you it sure would be nice if we didn't have to do all your work for you, dig everything out of you, and beg for information.

Did you read the "how to ask smart questions"?
Give us stuff to work with? I have no idea what your machine is doing, I am not in front of it... You need to give the details of what is happening if you want help.

I have no idea what it means "I cannot launch it"
because your hand is broken?
because your mouse is broken?
does your screen work?
are there no menu option?
does choosing the correct menu option issue you a small shock, preventing you from wanting to choose it..

I feel like my computer supplies a stead stream of output, words you can read to tell what its doing... Any of that going on on your end? If so do any of them say anything along the lines of error or fail or kill all humans?

You say you select "reboot" "but then nothing"
Like your enter key does not even click?
or the computer just does not restart?
or it shuts down instead of restarting?
or like, all the lights go out and your vision fades to white (or would "nothing" be black?)
is this philosophical nothing?

givinItAGo wrote:

so I chose "Boot existing os" from the menu. This did not work

My typical fix for this is to select the correct option from the menu, but your setup may vary from mine... I can't tell... You were pretty tight lipped on this one.
Again, tell us what your computer is ACTUALLY doing...
"stuff", "some error message", "very little" and the like are not useful.

givinItAGo wrote:

I apologize 2 fold.

First, I am sorry I kept you waiting. I'll work on my service.
Second, I was unaware that the newbie corner was where question go to die... I fear my participation may have hindered this but will do my best not to interfere with the natural process in the future...

Last edited by scryan (2015-07-31 02:13:47)

#13 2015-07-31 02:48:31

givinItAGo

You're right, I'm asking for a favour, and I'm greatful for any I get. But I have provided all I knew to do so, and am happy to provide more. I'm not sure what to give you though, and I don't think thats a crime or an unreasonable situation.

I took a glimpse, but as its after 3am I have given up for the night.
I clearly stated what my machine is doing...

There is no need for that kind of tone. I said already, I followed the guide, at the end one reboots, I did so. At this point I selected the options from the list that the arch iso provides, that option lead nowhere so I had to restart the machine, then I tried the other options and none of them resulted in the desired booting of the operating system I had setup from following the guide.
I can not launch it, that is all I can say. If I knew why, I wouldn't have to ask the question in the first place. It is not helpful to try to mock me.

No, they don't. No, there isn't. I said already, my options are no greater than they were before I started following the guide. What more to that could I add... other than perhaps an answer to my own question, which I am not capable of.

Again with the mocking. I could provide ten million words but that would defeat the concept of abstraction. I have made pretty clear using plain english what my problem is. I don't know what more to say. I rebooted, but I can't seem to load it. A million words from someone that doesn't know why this is the case wont add anything to it. I'm sorry for that.

Very funny.
It's doing lots of things. The virtual machine, however, is doing fuck all more than it was before following the guide, as stated.
Good thing I didn't say those things then...

Perhaps it was unfair to say that, I did not mean to suggest I should be pandered to. I was merely frustrated and said something lightheartedly to alleviate some of it.I was just surprised that I got such great help before and that as soon as I was in the newbie corner, I got nothing from anyone for hours, other than told that my answer wasn't detailed enough. I'm sorry if it read differently than I intended, but I don't save my best thinking for after midnight and a drink.

#14 2015-07-31 04:11:30

ewaller
Administrator

givinItAGo wrote:

I know I'm a noob. Please advise!

O.O

I cannot reconcile those.  Regardless, Newbie corner is a place where we make no assumptions as to your skill level and we cut you some slack if we get the impression you are not doing your own due diligence.

That said,

Where are we at?  What are  the output of sudo fdisk /dev/sda -l

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#15 2015-07-31 08:08:13

Raynman

So it seems this issue has not been addressed:

givinItAGo wrote:

Now it ran further but it said:

" Not booted with EFI, skipping EFI variable setup. "

I guess its not counted as uefi on the virtualmachine after all? I should probably have looked into that before starting?!

I already linked to a section of the VirtualBox wiki page claiming you need to activate EFI in the VM settings (and again, if the wiki is unclear/outdated, VirtualBox should also have a manual somewhere, or do a web search).

Or forget UEFI and install a BIOS bootloader.

#16 2015-07-31 23:05:01

givinItAGo

I decided to delete and start over again. I have gone through and I'm following the bios setup. I am up to isntalling grub, but when I run grub-install --recheck /dev/sda  I get a command not found error. I previously ran pacman -S grub  os-prober  and pacman -S grub

Please advise. I will continue trying to solve this while awaiting answers. Thanks in advance.

#17 2015-07-31 23:07:55

givinItAGo

I think I have messed up the internet connection and failed to download the packages. I will look into that...

--------------------

I have two links listed under ip link, one is an ethernet with interface enp0s3. I ran the  systemctl enable dhcpcd@enp0s3.service seemingly worked. But when I try to ping a network other than the loopback, it fails.

I have made sure it was started by starting it again. dhcpcd enp0s3 tells me its already running. But ping -c 3 google.com or youtube.com or any other site still fails.

----------

I noticed that under ip link it is marked "state dormant mode dormant" I have tried to ip link set enp0s3 up  and it is still marked dormant?

---------

before I had ran pacman -S dialog and I just now tested to see if it was on teh system, which it is. SO some point between then and now, something happened to break it. I don't know whats happened here.

Last edited by givinItAGo (2015-07-31 23:49:25)

#18 2015-08-01 02:43:29

givinItAGo

Got to the end of the beginners guide and can now boot the arch setup, however, still don't have networking configured.

Last edited by givinItAGo (2015-08-01 02:48:26)

#19 2015-08-01 02:55:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

That makes this solved. Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

If you do need to open a networking thread, please include all of the relevant detail: the exact commands you typed when following the wiki page on setting up a connection.

Board footer