You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-05 19:08:36

raingloom

Is there a proper way of deleting post/thread?

I've recently posted about something I thought was an issue with the Krita package, but turned out to be my own fault (and an obvious one). I've seen a delete button on some forums, but I didn't find one here.
I suppose it would be bad if non-mods could destroy threads at will.
I couldn't find anything on how to ask for a deletion, is just editing the starting post and/or title enough?

#2 2015-08-05 19:10:06

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Is there a proper way of deleting post/thread?

No: you need to hit the report button and request deletion.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-08-05 19:12:31

karol
Archivist

You can edit the post and add info what was the solution. You can also edit the thread's title and append e.g. [user error] or [pebkac] pseudo-tag.

#4 2015-08-05 23:40:39

raingloom

Thanks, I reported it.
Have it been considered that there should be some guidelines or hints about this in the rules or the wiki? It might make things smoother for newcomers and ease the work of moderators.

#5 2015-08-06 00:25:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thread's are rarely deleted - and *extremely* rarely at the OPs request.  In fact deletion might not have been right for your post - I didn't look at it too closely.  We discourage deleting posts - even if you realized the issue right after you posted it.  If you made a mistake, there is a fair chance someone else could make the same mistake.  So your post and solution could be a resource for others.

There are times when the mistake is really silly and we feel embarrased about having even posted something.  But - frankly - all errors are obvious in hindsight, and we all feel a bit foolish once we have to solution in hand.  Hindsight is 20/20 - but when someone else is facing a frustrating problem, they could benefit from others' hindsight.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer