You are not logged in.

#1 2003-01-13 17:37:31

hab1t
Website

kernel package

i noticed in crux linux the kernel is not actually a package in the package system which allows for more simple upgrading process
this might be an idea for arch?

#2 2003-01-13 18:17:50

ody
Website

Re: kernel package

kernel actualy is, pacman -S kernel

tongue

#3 2003-01-13 21:00:18

Arielext
Website

hab1t wrote:

i noticed in crux linux the kernel is not actually a package in the package system which allows for more simple upgrading process
this might be an idea for arch?

Now I'm cunfused, what is good for arch?
Removing the kernel package?
or to have a kernel package?

damn I read this sentence 3 times and still I'm in the dark

apt-get install arch

#4 2003-01-16 17:36:56

hab1t
Website

well the thing is this, if i download 2.4.20 bz2ball, and recompile and install it, now i have the following (potential) issues (which are minor, i admit, but i'm super picky about my configuration)
1. /usr/src/linux and /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 now exist, usually i like to have linux be a link pointing to the current version linux->linux-2.4.20
2. i can just nuke /usr/src/linux which is just include files, and install the 2.4.20 bz2ball, but then what if i go to remove or upgrade the kernel package?  its prolly going to remove all my include files from /usr/src/linux and all my modules and everything sad

so i guess i have to build a kernel package and remove the installed package or upgrade it to the new one?  which will also break alsa, so i need to remove the alsa packages first, at least alsa-driver...

also, i've noticed i can't get any low latency patches to work with the .config provided with the stock kernel, must be like the high memory setting or something?  i've tried the alan cox patch, andrew morton, and con kolivas, none of those 3 work, they all die horribly in sched.c on bootup.

really the stock kernel is pretty much fine except i want it compiled for athlon not 686 tongue

#5 2003-01-16 18:25:06

Arielext
Website

I posted the low-latancy buildpkg for 2.4.19 somewhere on this forum, but I forgot where smile

Try to do a search, it's here somewhere

apt-get install arch

#6 2003-01-17 04:48:07

sarah31
Website

hab1t wrote:

well the thing is this, if i download 2.4.20 bz2ball, and recompile and install it, now i have the following (potential) issues (which are minor, i admit, but i'm super picky about my configuration)
1. /usr/src/linux and /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 now exist, usually i like to have linux be a link pointing to the current version linux->linux-2.4.20
2. i can just nuke /usr/src/linux which is just include files, and install the 2.4.20 bz2ball, but then what if i go to remove or upgrade the kernel package?  its prolly going to remove all my include files from /usr/src/linux and all my modules and everything sad

so i guess i have to build a kernel package and remove the installed package or upgrade it to the new one?  which will also break alsa, so i need to remove the alsa packages first, at least alsa-driver...

also, i've noticed i can't get any low latency patches to work with the .config provided with the stock kernel, must be like the high memory setting or something?  i've tried the alan cox patch, andrew morton, and con kolivas, none of those 3 work, they all die horribly in sched.c on bootup.

really the stock kernel is pretty much fine except i want it compiled for athlon not 686 tongue

1. Yes linux is usually a symbolic link to the uncompress kernel source when you self compile the kernel in this case packaging the kernel up required some changes.

2. If you want your own kernel the best way is to compile and install it then remove the arch kernel then recompile the kernel again to fix the broken module dependencies. And yes als a will have to be reinstalled and no you do not have to remove it first but i don't see the trouble anyway as the main concern is that the settings that activate your sound are not affected. Reinstalling the alsa stuff is a very simple matter that should take less that a minute or two. If your module loading stuff is in rc.local just run /etc/rc.local or log out then in. again a few minutes is all that is required. once your own kernel is compiled and the stock kernel is removed then you will never have to worry about being bother with the arch stock kernel again as it is not installed and thusly will not be upgraded.

However having your own kernel will create a few extra steps as you will have to edit alsa's PKGBUILD (removing the kernel dependency) and then rebuild it. Every time Alsa is upgraded you will have to do this. The same will have to be done for other packages which have the kerne as a depend (alsa is the only one i can think of at this time).

As for patches it has been done so i don't see why the 2.4.20 kernel would be different.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2003-01-17 07:23:35

Arielext
Website

hab1t wrote:

The difference is minimal, I've build a complete Arch system for the athlonxp, not that I saw any difference in speed (stability is something else)

I installed 0.4beta, since still I want to help developing this great distor, and building a "arch-lon linux" isn't helping much.
I had a fix for xfree 4.2 (which now is in Arch) but I coudn't upload it, since it was build for the athlonxp and not all users have an athlonxp. (maybe that's why we're optimizing for the i686?).

Maybe you / we can start a side project which does build all and everything for the athlonxp.

apt-get install arch

#8 2003-01-19 20:35:14

mordantly
Website

im still eyein an xp myself so ill get back to u when i secure her (a matter of savin the money) and ill help in any way i can.

try to be a man and some day, you'll understand   -ccr
oh dont u worry.. ill be eating ur balls fur lunch tomorrow.   -Hugh "HughMan" Stahl
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '11]

#9 2016-09-17 22:26:56

kenduron

how is the kernel packaging nowadays?
still on package for source and headers?

#10 2016-09-17 22:28:57

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You bump a thirteen year old thread to ask a question that you could have answered by querying pacman?

Don't be such an idiot. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … bumping.22

Closing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer