You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-06 16:51:07

raingloom

Running a Pacman operation during an AUR build

I've recently installed Emscripten and am currently installing Krita, both through AUR packages. These packages take a very long time to build and sometimes I realize mid-build that there is something else I also need installed.

I'm pretty sure there are dangers involved, but using some common sense are these dangers life threatening?
For instance, if I know that the AUR package provides Qt and I see that the other package will also use Qt, I would not install it.
If I read the PKGBUILD and the README files, can I assume that my judgment is right and there won't be any conflicts?

Just to clarify, I don't mean "doing two installs/uninstalls at once", I only want to install during tediously long build phase.
Not sure if it matters in this case, but I'm using Yaourt.

Last edited by raingloom (2015-08-06 16:52:12)

#2 2015-08-06 16:52:39

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Running a Pacman operation during an AUR build

Building and installing are two separate things. There shouldn't be a problem unless you're doing an upgrade of something the build is using (for instance).

#3 2015-08-06 18:34:05

progandy

Re: Running a Pacman operation during an AUR build

Here is an example:
While building qtalarm (from AUR) it is possible to install qtfm.
While building qtalarm (from AUR) it is dangerous to upgrade qt5-base.
While building qt5-base-git (from AUR) it is possible to install qtfm. (Problems may occur if the qtfm binary is incompatible with your new qt5, but that cannot be resolved with the installation order alone. In that case you'll have to rebuild qtfm after installing qt5-base-git)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer