You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-06 20:54:49

James Barrett

Laptop Intel HD 4600, PWM flicker, White pixel glitch bottom of screen

Hello,

I have a few slight issues that i need a bit of help with

1. I have a slight problem with PWM on my laptop screen, this is most notable on a greyish background or terminal. Which is giving me terrible eye strain

i have tried changing the PWM frequency using intel-gpu-tools, is seems to work for a second or so then switches back to normal, although Intel_read shows the correct value that i set.
Also it mainly happens on a clean desktop, if i have a small terminal open ( small as to see a lot of screen estate ) then no PWM or flicker of any kind, the second i minimize the terminal the flicker starts again?  Maybe the screen redraws more frequently when active and this hides the flickering effect?

when i adjusted the pwm it was about 209 Hz factory default and i went to about 700Hz didn't fancy the risk of going any higher as could not see any sign of it improving

2. I have the occasional screen glitch, its like a few white pixels at the very bottom of the screen.

i have tried the linux-lts and this seems to fix this issue but i don't think it has built in CPU frequency management so my laptop runs hot. So i went back to the normal arch kernel.

tried the linux-git kernel and both problems persist.

also im usually just running awesome wm , but have installed gnome and kde to see if they would help, just clutching at straws really.

Last edited by James Barrett (2015-08-06 23:14:03)

Board footer