You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-18 19:58:14

bbarcher
Website

Is switching from IDE to AHCI going to mess my mounting configuration?

The possibility to switch either way is out of the question. It just involves mkinitcpio modules. But my concern is this. I have several disks and partitions connected, huge mess in the default mounting configuration (permissions, working on it...) and no knowledge to deal with additional mounting problems without hitting the forums. Does switching the interfaces back and forth involve the risk of altering mounting configuration? At system installation I've set up fstab using GUIDs.

An additional question:
I use dual boot with Windows 7 configured for IDE. I've disabled AHCI to accomodate heavy overclocking. What if, after I completely set up my linux install to use AHCI, I forget to switch the BIOS from IDE to AHCI and boot to linux?

Put up or shut up. 
--Austin Meyer, the lead developer of X-Plane
[ url=http://... ]  Text  [ /url ]

#2 2015-04-18 20:09:02

beta990

Re: Is switching from IDE to AHCI going to mess my mounting configuration?

Only way to test is to create a backup of your current systeem/HDD's (Clonezilla, Acronis, etc.).
And boot in AHCI-mode.

About the need of updating UUID's, you can always chroot and update the /etc/fstab file.
blkid is a command that could help.

About Windows, you should update the driver to AHCI. Don't recommend using IDE (anymore).
What do you mean with overclocking in IDE-mode?

If you forget to set it back to IDE-mode, Windows doesn't boot.
But if you set it back it should boot normal again.

Last edited by beta990 (2015-04-18 20:10:09)

#3 2015-04-18 20:37:22

bbarcher
Website

Thanks beta 990!

Overclocking:
Increasing the base clock (BCLK) increases clocks of every component based on BCLK and AHCI is said to be one of the most sensitive components.

Put up or shut up. 

#4 2015-04-19 12:50:16

bbarcher
Website

Most curious thing. Arch didn't require any actions from me to succesfully boot into the system after switching to AHCI

# dmesg | grep -i ahci
[    1.883905] ahci 0000:00:11.0: version 3.0
[    1.884180] ahci 0000:00:11.0: AHCI 0001.0100 32 slots 6 ports 3 Gbps 0x3f impl SATA mode
[    1.884183] ahci 0000:00:11.0: flags: 64bit ncq sntf ilck pm led clo pmp pio slum part ccc 
[    1.885364] scsi host0: ahci
[    1.885508] scsi host1: ahci
[    1.885640] scsi host2: ahci
[    1.885772] scsi host3: ahci
[    1.885903] scsi host4: ahci
[    1.886033] scsi host5: ahci

Additionally GRUB seems to be sensitive to overclocked systems. I get stuck on Veryfying DMI pool data. GRUB won't start when disk controller is set to IDE. To get GRUB to start I have to:
- enable AHCI (GRUB starts)
- reboot and disable AHCI (GRUB starts)

My OC configs have never caused such behavior when I had only Windows 7 installed.

Last edited by bbarcher (2015-04-19 15:40:39)

Put up or shut up. 

#5 2015-08-08 19:55:32

WFV

bbarcher wrote:

The possibility to switch either way is out of the question. It just involves mkinitcpio modules. But my concern is this. I have several disks and partitions connected, huge mess in the default mounting configuration (permissions, working on it...) and no knowledge to deal with additional mounting problems without hitting the forums. Does switching the interfaces back and forth involve the risk of altering mounting configuration? At system installation I've set up fstab using GUIDs.

An additional question:
I use dual boot with Windows 7 configured for IDE. I've disabled AHCI to accomodate heavy overclocking. What if, after I completely set up my linux install to use AHCI, I forget to switch the BIOS from IDE to AHCI and boot to linux?

My experience is that switching back-n-fort IDE-AHCI can cause problems, I suspect one of my drives failed prematurely because of. Best to install OS with BIOS already set to one or the other. I recently tried this, my Arch OS was installed IDE ( mistakenly - forgot to switch bios to ahci ), so switched it to AHCI and started getting mounting problems with at least one partition, sometimes two partitions. System has three hard drives (two 1TB and one 2TB), all formatted GPT, sda = 3 partitions (bios_grub, / and /home), sdb = 2 partitions, sdc = 3 partitions (for backups), all except bios_grub are ext4 formatted. So I switched back to IDE before risking damaging drives. I don't dual boot on this pc but run Windows 7 Pro 64 in VBox (XP Home 32 too), they didn't seem to mind the switch at all but as have said, I switched back to IDE until I can re-install my system (will try some rsync and dd bios-grub footwork soon to redo system for AHCI). Others more knowledgeable may have better information on the subject.

Last edited by WFV (2015-08-08 19:56:18)

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

Board footer