You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-21 00:10:32

potentials

Creating a mini repository

I've been willing to try Arch for a while now, the only thing that is holding me is that I'm on dialup and ftp install is not an option, besides the 0.5 iso is outdated.  I thought of downloading the base CD and all the "current" and "extras" on a better connection and burn them on CDs then using them as local repositories but that would be a huge download and I won't need hundreds of packages. In the mailing list , Maik made a great suggestion for dialup users

All people, who dialup and who need an offline version of ArchLinux, should download and install the base ISO-image too. Then we should provide a simple script (maybe through a web-interface which delivers
a .tar.gz-package-bundle), which copies selected packages from "current" onto a Harddisk / CD / USB-Stick whatever (something like "I want Mozilla, KDE & Evolution additional to the base-system to carry & install it at home", the script resolves dependencies & downloads packages), so people can burn a CD for use as "local repository" at home. So they will start with current packages as well and will have lesser trouble when upgrading etc.

Anyway, this might take while to be implemented (if agreed on). So I'll be gratefull if an Archer would do a similar idea, I'm asking any generous Arch user to just run pacman and tell me the packages to install (including dependencies) so I can download these packages on a friend's connection and get them home. This way I'll only download few packages of "current" and "extras" and create a mini repository using the same db.tar.gz files on the ftp servers. I'll use the base CD to avoid problems of updating from full CD.

What I need are:
KDE 3.2
XFce 4
gaim,xchat (so I'll need gtk support)
openoffice.org
mplayer

Again, I would be very thankfull
EDIT: fixed a typo

#2 2004-02-21 00:39:07

sarah31
Website

Re: Creating a mini repository

the webpage has the ablility to browse through the available packages and see what dependencies are needed. they are also in the PGKBUILDs.

frankly though this method of "upgrading" is not very good. just installing the base then using homemade repos to "stay up to date" would not do very well you have to maintain your base and other important libraries.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-02-21 12:25:57

potentials

Re: Creating a mini repository

Do u mean I should install the base then "update" it (install newer versions of already installed packages) .Then "upgrade" the system (install new packages that weren't there)?

If so, this could be done the same way using local repositories. right?

Browsing packages on the website and finding dependencies recursively might be a tedous job. If there an easier way an Archer would  do it I would appretiate it.

Board footer