You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-16 14:21:47

SirCmpwn

sway - an i3-compatible WM for Wayland

Sway is a new window manager for Wayland. It's compatible with i3, and unlike i3way, it's not vaporware.

If you want to try it out, configuration is seriously this simple:

mkdir ~/.config/sway
cp ~/.config/i3/config ~/.config/sway/

A full list of i3 feature support is here. Sway is a work in progress, and many features are missing and many bugs are present. Good luck!

nAy_.png

(click for a bigger screenshot)

#2 2015-08-16 14:51:25

ewaller
Administrator

Re: sway - an i3-compatible WM for Wayland

I may be trying this out later this afternoon smile
In the meantime, I am going to move this thread to Community Contributions.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-08-16 14:51:54

SirCmpwn

ewaller wrote:

I may be trying this out later this afternoon smile
In the meantime, I am going to move this thread to Community Contributions.

Thanks, I wasn't sure what the best subforum would be.

#4 2015-08-16 14:57:37

ewaller
Administrator

No problem.  Hey, I have never run Wayland.  On my system, I always use startx.  How do I start this beast from a cli?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2015-08-16 14:58:15

karol
Archivist

ewaller wrote:

No problem.  Hey, I have never run Wayland.  On my system, I always use startx.  How do I start this beast from a cli?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland

Edit: Ah, I thought your were asking about wayland.

https://github.com/SirCmpwn/sway linked in the OP says right at the bottom:

Running

sway

If you run this while xorg is running, it'll run inside of an x window (useful for testing). Otherwise, it'll run wayland properly.

Last edited by karol (2015-08-16 15:00:38)

#6 2015-08-16 14:58:32

SirCmpwn

ewaller wrote:

Just run "sway".

#7 2015-08-16 14:59:13

ewaller
Administrator

That's too easy. smile  Thanks.

---

#8 2015-08-17 01:33:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Looks awesome, but don't have the time to be experimenting now, especially since the feature support list doesn't look like it has i3bar yet. ewaller how's your experience?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2015-08-17 03:12:46

ewaller
Administrator

I was asked by my beautiful wife, whom I deeply love, to help her with yard work..... in 40C weather.   I'll get to this later this week smile

---

#10 2015-08-17 07:02:18

Awebb

Do you work with the i3 code and turn it into a wayland vompatible thing, or do you look at the list of features and re-interprete them?

#11 2015-08-17 16:53:05

sekret

Instead of dmenu you could use bemenu, which works natively on wayland.

#12 2015-08-17 17:59:04

SirCmpwn

Awebb wrote:

Do you work with the i3 code and turn it into a wayland vompatible thing, or do you look at the list of features and re-interprete them?

The latter.

sekret wrote:

Instead of dmenu you could use bemenu, which works natively on wayland.

I would like to, but bemenu has issues with tiling WMs. Orbment supports it through a hack that I'm not willing to implement.

#13 2015-08-18 04:25:28

ewaller
Administrator

Not much joy sad   When I run sway, either from inside i3 and xorg, or from a console cli, I get a really pretty blue screen with some orbiting orb things on the right.  I've a feeling that is Wayland.  If I run it from urxvt under i3, my window splits, I get the same pretty screen, and a whole bunch of many errors complaining about errors in my config file (the one I'd copied from my i3 config.).  Remove and touch .config/sway/config (empty file) same pretty screen, no error messages complaining about my config anymore.   Copy config from the root of the git structure to .config/sway/config,  lots of new and different errors; same pretty blue screen.

I suspect that were I to start removing the offending parts of my original config (from i3) it may run.  Its been a long frustrating day at $DAYJOB, perhaps I'll chip away at this some more tomorrow.

---

#14 2015-08-18 10:39:18

SirCmpwn

ewaller wrote:

Not much joy sad   When I run sway, either from inside i3 and xorg, or from a console cli, I get a really pretty blue screen with some orbiting orb things on the right.  I've a feeling that is Wayland.  If I run it from urxvt under i3, my window splits, I get the same pretty screen, and a whole bunch of many errors complaining about errors in my config file (the one I'd copied from my i3 config.).  Remove and touch .config/sway/config (empty file) same pretty screen, no error messages complaining about my config anymore.   Copy config from the root of the git structure to .config/sway/config,  lots of new and different errors; same pretty blue screen.

I suspect that were I to start removing the offending parts of my original config (from i3) it may run.  Its been a long frustrating day at $DAYJOB, perhaps I'll chip away at this some more tomorrow.

The default behaviour is not to open anything. The errors are not fatal, it's just waiting for you to tell it to do something. Try using some keyboard shortcut to run your terminal emulator from within sway. Reminder that if you run it under x and you have i3 going, i3 will intercept any key bindings it has before sway can see them. I personally test sway with my meta key set to Alt (Mod1), while i3 uses the logo key (Mod4).

Also, common pitfall is to forget to install xwayland. Make sure you have that.

#15 2015-08-18 15:09:36

ewaller
Administrator

I had tried my keyboard shortcuts.  Notably my Mod-enter combination used to open a urxvt terminal.  And Mod-e to start emacs client.  I also had tried my brightness and volume keys that are bound to the appropriate actions.

I ssh'ed into my box, and I do not have xwayland installed.  I'll give that a shot tonight when I am in front of the machine.

---

#16 2015-08-18 15:14:30

SirCmpwn

ewaller wrote:

I had tried my keyboard shortcuts.  Notably my Mod-enter combination used to open a urxvt terminal.  And Mod-e to start emacs client.  I also had tried my brightness and volume keys that are bound to the appropriate actions.

I ssh'ed into my box, and I do not have xwayland installed.  I'll give that a shot tonight when I am in front of the machine.

Without xwayland, you cannot run x apps (like urxvt) on wayland. That'd help a lot smile Your brightness is probably set through xbacklight, though, right? That won't work on Wayland. Your volume control probably would have worked, though, assuming that (if you use pulse) pulseaudio was running. Were you making any noise with which to hear that it was working?

#17 2015-08-18 15:38:15

ewaller
Administrator

I've a lot to learn about Wayland smile  As to the backlight control, it is a home grown 'c' program that does basically the same thing as xbacklight - a cli program that parses parameters on the command line ans acts on them.  Xbacklight on my system has a horrible latency -- probably a function of HP's brain dead DSDT in their ACPI implementation.  I was not playing audio, I was punching mute looking for the mute annunciator to change from green to amber.  Everything I had tried were Xorg apps.   Like I said, I've a lot to learn, this was my first attempt at Wayland.

Last edited by ewaller (2015-08-18 15:38:32)

---

#18 2015-08-18 22:05:51

SirCmpwn

Happy to answer more questions if you've got them. I also added an FAQ:

https://github.com/SirCmpwn/sway/wiki

Hopefully it'll work for you with xwayland installed.

#19 2015-08-19 03:56:21

ewaller
Administrator

Okay it works -- for the most part big_smile   I can launch urxvt and emacsclient; and they work.  I was going to use firefox to post my victory from inside sway, but it seemed unhappy on many fronts.  No borders around windows; My i3 setup uses one pixel borders that change from red to green for the selected window; no go under sway.  Touch-pad works, but none of my custom settings defined in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf work  I suppose that is to be expected under Wayland. 

Anyway, terrific effort.  Thank you.  As Wayland increases in popularity, I look forward to this project's development.

---

#20 2015-10-13 02:32:35

stozi

The current version of qupzilla browser will run in sway without xwayland smile Other than tiling and the bar, my main concern now is how to enable touchpad tapping. Sway is fantastic btw, thanks so much, looking forward to watching it progress. Though I have to say, the contribution graph on github doesn't look promising...

Btw, if you're ever thinking of a logo, bamboo sways in the wind, but is very strong, and it's segmented structure is kind of analogous to the tiling layout...

Last edited by stozi (2015-10-14 22:40:26)

#21 2015-11-20 00:37:46

SirCmpwn

Haven't posted an update here recently. New things since the last time (2015-08-16):

• Wallpapers

• Screenshots (ish)

• Floating windows

• XDG config support

• Resizing/moving tiled windows with mouse

• Gaps

• Output configuration (resolution, position)

• IPC (i3 compatible)

• Moving the mouse between outputs works

• Dozens of i3 commands now supported

• A website

New screenshot:

IcMl.png

#22 2015-11-20 14:46:33

sekret

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at it again this weekend. Seems like you are developing the only usable wm for wayland right now! big_smile

#23 2015-11-20 21:38:54

Rasi
Website

ah, mouse can be switched between display. but can i also move windows now?

Last edited by Rasi (2015-11-20 21:39:24)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#24 2015-11-20 22:57:05

SirCmpwn

Rasi wrote:

ah, mouse can be switched between display. but can i also move windows now?

You can't move windows between displays. You can use your keybindings to move the window to a workspace on another display, though.

sekret wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look at it again this weekend. Seems like you are developing the only usable wm for wayland right now!

I don't want us tiling users to get left behind smile

#25 2016-01-16 21:34:12

mke21

Looks great and very familiar for this i3wm user. I installed from the aur and it worked.
Some problems I got: I don't see borders, I've got a 1 px border in my own I3 setting but don't see it in sway. Not a real dealbraker bit nevertheless. Seccond, My Also, pulldown menu's in X programs don't seem towallpaper did not appear. work. This renders the current version useless for daily use indeed sadly. Still, I really love it and I'm looking forward to use it more when it is more mature. Keep up the good work!

Board footer