You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-06 06:41:30

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Cannot get Totem to play a DVD

I have Gnome 2.14 installed with Totem 1.4.0 using Gstreamer0.10 as the back end.

When I try to play a DVD, I get the error dialog box saying:

Totem cannot play this type of media (DVD) because you do not have the appropriate plugins to handle it.

Please install the necessary plugins and restart Totem to be able to play this media.

I have every gstreamer0.10 plugin installed, libdvdcss is installed, and I have run gst-register both as root and as the user.  The user is in the optical group.

Also, xine plays the DVD O.K. so I don't think it is a hardware problem.

I don't know what else to try at this point, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:  It will play MP3s and WMV files, but not commercially made DVDs.

Pudge

#2 2006-04-07 06:18:54

jftaylor21

Re: Cannot get Totem to play a DVD

Maybe it is something wrong with the way you have gstreamer setup. I don't think that dvd's don't use mp3 or wmv format. I think they use .mpg format. Xine might work because it doesn't (I think) use gstreamer as a backend. Can you use Totem to play a .mpg file?

#3 2006-04-07 08:07:14

snader

It's not a solution to the gstreamer issue of course, but you could install totem-xine. It plays dvd's just fine over here.

#4 2006-04-07 17:41:23

Pudge

jftaylor21 wrote:

I don't think that dvd's don't use mp3 or wmv format. I think they use .mpg format. Xine might work because it doesn't (I think) use gstreamer as a backend. Can you use Totem to play a .mpg file?

Yeah, dvds don't use mp3 or wmv format, I was just trying to illustrate what did and did not work.  Xine does play the same dvd perfectly and Totem/Gstreamer 0.10 does play .mpg files just fine.

It appears to me that gstreamer 0.10 doesn't use libdvdcss correctly. 

Has anyone got gstreamer 0.10 to play commercially made dvds using libdvdcss?

Pudge

#5 2006-04-20 04:44:37

Pudge

KnappOut;

No solution here.  I finally got tired of beating my head against the wall, so I removed totem and installed totem-xine.  Totem-xine works great with no problems.  I also would like to get it working with gstreamer 0.10, but with a working solution as easy as loading totem-xine available, I can only justify spending so much time on it.  I sure hope that the xine development team continues to support xine!

Pudge

Board footer