You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-07 20:08:05

Martillo1

Best place to specify module load

Hi all, I am having problems lately with the network modules. I have an nforce2 board with integrated network hardware and a realtek network card, and now and then the integrated interface stops working, so I have switched to the external to avoid the nuissance.

But it raises a question that has been looming for a time (with all these changes in initrd, etc.): What is the best or appropriate place for specifying module load? /etc/rc.conf, /etc/mkinitrd.conf, /etc/modprobe.conf?

#2 2006-04-07 20:54:32

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Best place to specify module load

The recommended way to load modules is to make sure /etc/rc.conf has

MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"

so that the modules required by your system are detected and loaded automatically. If you have some unusual hardware that escapes autodetection, or some undetected modules that require boot-time loading, they should be listed in rc.conf MODULES.

mkinitrd.conf is used to specify  the modules required to allow your system to boot, and modprobe.conf allows you to fine-tune module loading by setting aliases, module options, or additional install commands.

#3 2006-04-07 23:17:54

Martillo1

Re: Best place to specify module load

I set up the module loading following your directives and it works perfectly, thanks!  big_smile

Board footer