You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-20 18:56:29

Artemis

Firefox freezing to death on various websites

I'm currently encountering a very strange problem with Firefox. It just hangs and freezes an reproducibly on youtube but also on other random websites. It just becomes unresponsive and when I switch windows/workspaces it continues to not paint the window an instead just show a big grey area.
Interestingly visiting youtube in a private browsing window works just fine and I can even watch videos (yay).

I was kind of sure that it happened after the package update I did this morning but right now I'm not very sure that it didn't already happen yesterday.

What I tried so far and didn't give any improvement:

* Downgrading Firefox from 40.x to 39.x
* Starting Firefox with a new empty profile (thus it's not one of my addons)
* Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox
* Uninstalling flashplugin
* Downgrading flashplugin
* Downgrading sqlite (I did this because this was the only package Firefox depends on also updated after my last package update on July 30, 2015)

This is very annoying since I cannot even (other than always using private browsing) circumvent the behaviour.

Does anyone experience the same behaviour or does anyone have ideas on how to further investigate this?

Last edited by Artemis (2015-08-20 19:42:04)

#2 2015-08-20 20:36:36

frank604

Re: Firefox freezing to death on various websites

Could it be that firefox in normal mode is writing to cache and maybe your cache is on a bad hard drive sector?  Therefore it hangs when it starts writing to it?  I'm not knowledgeable about this but that seems to be my best guess.  I'm thinking down this line because in private mode it won't save cookies and web cache so in a way it circumvents your root issue.

How about you try out profile sync daemon
PSD archwiki on how to setup
User Graysky Archwiki

You should also run badblocks to see if there are any issues with the drive itself.

OR I could be completely off the mark and it is something else.  Does this happen when you use chromium/other browser?

#3 2015-08-21 06:16:43

Artemis

Thanks for the suggestions. As I'm already using PSD for quite some time it would be strange to be related to hard drive issues.

* Running Firefox with or without PSD enabled doesn't give any difference
* Using Opera or Chromium works as expected -- no hanging

I'll have a look at badblocks but I guess it does not seem to be the real problem here...

EDIT: Dammit, I found the problem. My root partition was full, something I didn't notice because my i3bar didn't show the right value… Now after cleaning up and having some space again everything works just fine.

Last edited by Artemis (2015-08-21 06:33:43)

#4 2015-08-21 08:26:34

frank604

Glad you found the solution. smile

Board footer