You are not logged in.

#576 2015-08-23 06:29:25

bmentink

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

Just a thought ... will these packages build for ARM? I would love to run pantheon on my ODROID-XU3,  I can get hold of a build of the video driver, which including hardware accel support, i.e:

xf86-video-armsoc-xu3
xorg-server-dsd
odroid-libgl-mali-T628-x11

Last edited by bmentink (2015-08-23 06:47:47)

#577 2015-08-23 15:57:22

quequotion
Website

bmentink wrote:

It does not work though.

Err... perhaps you additionaly need to install gnome-settings-daemon?

EDIT: Oh, and gnome-settings-daemon-compat to enable keyboard shortcuts?

Last edited by quequotion (2015-08-23 16:00:09)

#578 2015-08-23 19:29:13

bmentink

quequotion wrote:
bmentink wrote:

It does not work though.

Will try that when I get home. Maybe they could be added to your package file as dependencies? ...
I am trying to get pantheon installed with a bare minimum of gnome packages .....

Cheers,

#579 2015-08-23 22:51:57

ian

d_rail wrote:
ElectricPrism wrote:

I wanted to request a status update from those running Pantheon on the indicators, date time, application menu, and shutdown/startup menu.

I'm using wingpanel-rewrite-x11-bzr and mostly Alucryd's repo.

Works: Slingshot (wingpanel-indicator-launcher-bzr from AUR), Datetime (wingpanel-indicator-datetime-bzr), Network (wingpanel-indicator-network-bzr), Power (wingpanel-indicator-power-bzr), Session (wingpanel-indicator-session-bzr)

Sorta works: Notifications (wingpanel-indicator-notifications-bzr) - Works except icon is broken

Doesn't work: Sound (wingpanel-indicator-sound-bzr) - Crashes wingpanel when installed https://github.com/alucryd/aur-alucryd/issues/26

Non Pantheon indicators don't work, like Variety and Caffeine.  They worked with the 0.3 version of wingpanel.

The Elementary theme doesn't play well with hidpi, so I'm using Arc.  However, Arc has text shadows in the indicator drop downs.  I keep meaning to add issues to Arc's repo, but haven't.

I just wanted to confirm that everything works and doesn't work as you said. I also have a problem with Gala that you didn't mention though, it seems the minimize-maximize-close buttons don't work in some apps, like Pidgin, the Gnome Terminal, SublimeText, Transmission and many others. They do seem to work on the 'stock' apps like System Settings, Calendar, Files... anyone else experiencing this?

#580 2015-08-23 23:45:47

bmentink

Yes, I have the same issue with window decorators (minimize/mazimize buttons) on some applications like chromium , LibreOffice etc, from what I can make out earlier in this thread, it is a know issue, seems to something to do with gtk3 catch-up ...
At the moment for me, pantheon is entirely usable apart from that window decorations issue, I can put up with other missing components .... it's still the best desktop out there wink

The sound indicator works for me, I have used all the AUR -bzr indicators ....

Last edited by bmentink (2015-08-23 23:49:33)

#581 2015-08-24 00:24:44

quequotion
Website

bmentink wrote:

Yes, I have the same issue with window decorators (minimize/mazimize buttons) on some applications like chromium , LibreOffice etc, from what I can make out earlier in this thread, it is a know issue, seems to something to do with gtk3 catch-up

Just a quick guess, but it sounds to me like you're talking about non-CSD windows. Gnome has converted most of their application suite already, and the Pantheon devs have embraced the new design, but there are a number of third-party applications that have not (yet? won't? waiting for weyland?).

Last edited by quequotion (2015-08-24 02:46:26)

#582 2015-08-24 04:18:42

bmentink

quequotion wrote:
bmentink wrote:

It does not work though.

I installed gnome-settings-daemon, could not find the -compat.
I still do not have any change though, lock refuses to work ... any other suggestions, does the settings-daemon run automatically, or do I have to enable the service?

Thanks,

#583 2015-08-24 09:30:53

ian

quequotion wrote:
bmentink wrote:

Yes, I have the same issue with window decorators (minimize/mazimize buttons) on some applications like chromium , LibreOffice etc, from what I can make out earlier in this thread, it is a know issue, seems to something to do with gtk3 catch-up

Just a quick guess, but it sounds to me like you're talking about non-CSD windows. Gnome has converted most of their application suite already, and the Pantheon devs have embraced the new design, but there are a number of third-party applications that have not (yet? won't? waiting for weyland?).

I see... If that's the case, it sucks, because it means that the apps that aren't working will probably continue to not work for quite a long time. The only gnome app that I can find that still doesn't play well with the decorator is gnome-terminal. I thought nautilus wasn't working either but it is. Chromium works just fine for me by the way, probably because it doesn't use the decorator's buttons.

For me, what makes Pantheon unusable now is:

- The wingpanel sound indicator crashes the entire wingpanel when installed. Without it, there is no way to control sound, there doesn't seem to be a switchboard plug, and keyboard media keys don't work either.
- The keyboard switchboard plug crashes the Settings app when clicked.
- There is no system tray for icons like Dropbox, Redshift, Pidgin... at least not that I know of.

Last edited by ian (2015-08-24 11:21:41)

#584 2015-08-24 18:44:05

bmentink

ian wrote:

- The wingpanel sound indicator crashes the entire wingpanel when installed. Without it, there is no way to control sound, there doesn't seem to be a switchboard plug, and keyboard media keys don't work either.

As I said above, use the wingpanel indicators from AUR, sound works just fine for me.  (wingpanel-indicator-sound-bzr)
You need to install wingpanel-rewrite-x11-bzr FROM AUR, then all the indicators you want from AUR as well ..

EDIT: I installed pantheon-unstable from Alucryd's repo which pulled in everything as a group. Then installed all the wingpanel- indicators from AUR as Alucryd's ones did not work for me ...

Last edited by bmentink (2015-08-25 01:10:38)

#585 2015-08-24 19:07:00

ian

bmentink wrote:
ian wrote:

As I said above, use the wingpanel indicators from AUR, sound works just fine for me.  (wingpanel-indicator-sound-bzr)
You need to install wingpanel-rewrite-x11-bzr, then all the indicators you want from AUR as well ..

EDIT: I installed pantheon-unstable from Alucryd's repo which pulled in everything as a group. Then installed all the wingpanel- indicators from AUR as Alucryd's ones did not work for me ...

Wow it seems I glanced over your post, I'm sorry. However, the indicator from the AUR is not working for me either. I already had everything from Alucryd's repo so I've just installed this one from the AUR but it's still crashing the wingpanel. This is what I get:

[ian@arch ~]$ wingpanel

** (wingpanel:2779): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
[_LOG_LEVEL_INFO 21:00:17.571731] Application.vala:155: System Panel version: 2.0
[_LOG_LEVEL_INFO 21:00:17.571767] Application.vala:157: Kernel version: 4.1.6-1-ARCH
[_LOG_LEVEL_WARN 21:00:17.577336] [GLib-GIO] Settings schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.wingpanel.indicators.sound' is not installed
[1]    2779 trace trap (core dumped)  wingpanel
[ian@arch ~]$ pacman -Qs wingpanel-indicator-sound-bzr
local/wingpanel-indicator-sound-bzr r29-1 (pantheon-unstable)
    Sound indicator for Wingpanel

The one from Alucryd's repo is r14-1.

#586 2015-08-24 19:10:34

bmentink

ian wrote:

Wow it seems I glanced over your post, I'm sorry. However, the indicator from the AUR is not working for me either. I already had everything from Alucryd's repo so I've just installed this one from the AUR but it's still crashing the wingpanel. This is what I get:

So can you confirm you are using "wingpanel-rewrite-x11-bzr" from AUR?

#587 2015-08-24 19:16:37

ian

bmentink wrote:
ian wrote:

So can you confirm you are using "wingpanel-rewrite-x11-bzr" from AUR?

Aha! Thank you, that was it. Although it's weird because both versions are marked as r90-1. One thing less in the list tongue

Last edited by ian (2015-08-24 19:16:48)

#588 2015-08-27 22:22:46

bmentink

@Alucryd

Any chance of compiling  your packages in your repo  for armv7h as well?
I can provide optimum CFLAGS if you want ..

EDIT: In the meantime I am busy manually compiling all the required packages (bzr)  from AUR, the only one that doesn't compile so far is pantheon-default-settings-bzr, I don't know how essential that is ..
This is taking forever .... wink

EDIT2: I have it all built and started up the pantheon session. However, I get the "Oh no! Something has gone wrong” window, so looks like gala has crashed and/or I get a log message about the hardware accelerated graphics driver is not available ... but that should not cause the crash, as it should revert to software. I do see the plank and wingpanel and some indicators .... now to find out why gala has crashed.

Cheers,

Last edited by bmentink (2015-08-28 07:41:33)

#589 2015-08-29 01:35:05

bmentink

Anyone have any suggestions on why the  "Oh no! Something has gone wrong” error on booting pantheon-session?

I notice in xorg log:

[    10.746] (EE) systemd-logind: failed to get session: PID 281 does not belong to any known session

and that PID 281 is:

root       281   279  0 04:23 tty1     Ss+    0:04 /usr/lib/xorg-server/Xorg -background none :0 vt01 -nolisten tcp -novtswitch

So is there some problem with starting xorg from the pantheon session?
(I am using lxdm display manager)

EDIT: It started up fine from lightdm  with the gtk greeter, the pantheon greeter has issues .....

Last edited by bmentink (2015-08-30 03:52:33)

#590 2015-08-31 21:07:47

bmentink

Anyone tried running pantheon under wayland? I believe clutter has wayland support ...

#591 2015-09-01 09:12:17

xapantu

ian wrote:

- The wingpanel sound indicator crashes the entire wingpanel when installed.

The new panel is still a work in progress, it works fine here though, but the packages I use are built on my computer, I suppore the repository you use is slightly behind the development version, it should work better in a few days when the packages is re-built.

Without it, there is no way to control sound, there doesn't seem to be a switchboard plug,

There should be a plug, maybe it is not packaged yet.

and keyboard media keys don't work either.

That's an issue with gnome-settings-daemon, I have the same problem. There is a gnome-settings-daemon-compat package, but it does not appear to work. I will definitively look into this.

- The keyboard switchboard plug crashes the Settings app when clicked.
- There is no system tray for icons like Dropbox, Redshift, Pidgin... at least not that I know of.

I think there is an "ayatana" indicator which is supposed to show these ones, maybe it is not finished, but that's definitively planned.

#592 2015-09-01 18:49:27

bmentink

xapantu wrote:

I think there is an "ayatana" indicator which is supposed to show these ones, maybe it is not finished, but that's definitively planned.

Not in repo's yet, but there is the package in AUR:

libindicator-gtk3 & libindicator-gtk2 (A set of symbols and convenience functions for Ayatana indicators)

So xapantu, is there a lot of effort involved in building all packages for armv7h? Alucryd doesn't seem to be lurking ...

Last edited by bmentink (2015-09-01 18:53:16)

#593 2015-09-01 19:35:46

xapantu

I was speaking about https://launchpad.net/wingpanel-indicator-ayatana which is not in AUR yet.

About armv7h, I am not aware of anyone trying to build it on pantheon. However, I think it has already been built for debian (probably not in a public repo), so I expect that building the package on armv7h instead of x86 would just work "out of the box".

#594 2015-09-01 20:02:31

bmentink

xapantu wrote:

I was speaking about https://launchpad.net/wingpanel-indicator-ayatana which is not in AUR yet.

About armv7h, I am not aware of anyone trying to build it on pantheon. However, I think it has already been built for debian (probably not in a public repo), so I expect that building the package on armv7h instead of x86 would just work "out of the box".

Well I am currently building for armv7h and it doesn't work "out of the box".  Most things work, but gala keeps crashing and there is no window shadows etc ... I think there is some EGL support needed in the mali GPU driver ... (which I am partitioning ARM about)
See this thread: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f … 43#p104043

It would be good to have all the arm binaries in the repo though, as it takes a long time compiling them all manually ..

Last edited by bmentink (2015-09-02 01:39:49)

#595 2015-09-03 05:12:05

bmentink

I have Pantheon working (..sort of) on ARM (ODROID-XU3), what is working is:

1. Wallpaper is now working.
2. Plank is working and animations 3D effects etc.
3. Wingpanel is working with 4 indicators.
4. Slingshot is working.
5. All windows have shadow effects.
6. Pantheon session works

Not working is:

1. Gala still crashes every 20 seconds or so, but this is a known issue.
2. Opening programs from slingshot or plank is very slow .. probably because gala is throwing constant exceptions ..

So Pantheon on ArchLinuxARM is getting there .....

Last edited by bmentink (2015-09-03 05:12:55)

#596 2015-09-03 20:41:40

bmentink

So I am trying to do a full upgrade of my x86  box, but having issues because of packages I have pulled in from pantheon repo ... I think.
I get the following error:

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace switchboard-plug-startup-applications-bzr with pantheon/switchboard-plug-applications-bzr? [Y/n] n
warning: wingpanel-indicator-launcher-bzr: local (r2-3) is newer than pantheon (r2-1)
warning: wingpanel-indicator-sound-bzr: local (r25-1) is newer than pantheon (r14-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: audience-bzr: requires libgranite.so=2-64
:: eidete-bzr: requires libgranite.so=2-64
:: footnote-bzr: requires libgranite.so=2-64
:: gala-bzr: requires libgranite.so=2-64
:: pantheon-photos-bzr: requires libgranite.so=2-64

It seems I have a problem with my version of libgranite, I have the one from the pantheon unstable installed
pantheon/granite-bzr r871-1 (pantheon-unstable)

Any idea's on how to resolve this?

Last edited by bmentink (2015-09-03 20:42:52)

#597 2015-09-16 04:47:52

supergeek800
Website

edmael wrote:

Compiling is not really my thing

Copy-paste the following into pacman.conf, save the file, and run pacman -Syy, and you should have access to precompiled binaries for Pantheon-related packages.

[pantheon]
SigLevel = Optional
Server = http://pkgbuild.com/~alucryd/$repo/$arch

PC: Arch Linux x64 | customized Cinnamon desktop | Latitude E6440 | Core i5-4310m | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Das Model S Pro Soft Tactile keyboard | Logitech Trackman Marble trackball.
Audio: Sony STR-DH500 5.1ch AVR | Modified Koss Portapro headphones | Rockboxed Sansa Fuze | Realistic Minimus 11 front and rear satellite speakers + Minimus 7 center channel.

#598 2015-09-16 05:33:46

bmentink

supergeek800 wrote:
edmael wrote:

Copy-paste the following into pacman.conf, save the file, and run pacman -Syy, and you should have access to precompiled binaries for Pantheon-related packages.

[pantheon]
SigLevel = Optional

Except, the Indicators for Wingpanel do not work out of the repo. You must use the AUR ones to get those to work ..
.. at least that was the state as of a few weeks ago .. wink

#599 2015-09-16 10:28:39

Alucryd
Developer
Website

bmentink wrote:
supergeek800 wrote:
edmael wrote:

[pantheon]
SigLevel = Optional

Except, the Indicators for Wingpanel do not work out of the repo. You must use the AUR ones to get those to work ..
.. at least that was the state as of a few weeks ago .. wink

Only the sound indicator had issues, and it's now been fixed upstream.

Anyway, looks like I stopped receiving notifications from this thread, again. Apologies for the long absence, due to various personal issues IRL I haven't had the time to check it for new posts. I quickly went through most new posts and probably missed some things, feel free to nag me again if they haven't been fixed somehow in the meantime.

Here's an update on the latest changes:
- There's been a soname bump in granite recently, I'm progressively adding various soprovides and sodepends to every package so that the next soname bump won't break your system. You probably noticed that some packages refused to update, and it's not just there to annoy you, it's a good thing. You really don't want a broken system. BTW, every package on my repo should have been rebuilt again the new granite by now.
- Most stable packages have been updated to their latest release, almost all stable swithboard plugs are now packaged, and audience, files, scratch, photos are now in [community]. The keyboard and mouse plugs still don't work due to missing/deprecated gsettings keys in gnome-settings-daemon 3.18. And I still need to write PKGBUILDs for the a11y, printers and user accounts plug.
- wingpanel-bzr now builds the x11 rewrite branch and all native indicators are packaged (bzr only) and built against it. That includes the ayatana compatibility layer, but AFAICT it only displays old indicator-* if you have some installed, you won't get any tray icon. Note that only one of them doesn't work at all; the bluetooth indicator still relies on Bluez 4, we're already at Bluez 5. Also there are still some issues with the session indicator, but nothing that would make wingpanel unusable.

Installing the pantheon-unstable group should give you an almost fully working Pantheon experience now, some parts still require a bit of work but we're getting there.

BTW, I wrote a python script to produce this fancy page, I still need to add something to represent failed builds, unfortunately it seems the build script returns the same exit code regardless of whether the build succeeded or failed so I'll need some time to look into it.

@xapantu: I haven't seen any sound plug for switchboard, there doesn't seem to be any in the elementary daily repository either.

@bmentink: You're on your own for ARM, I don't have the means to build ARM binaries. If I could help it I wouldn't even build anything for i686, because that server is getting cramped and i686 should just die to leave more storage space for x86_64, as well as save some precious CPU time (I'm not the only one building things on this baby).

Last edited by Alucryd (2015-09-16 13:08:15)

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

#600 2015-09-16 18:54:29

bmentink

Great to have you back Alucryd smile

By the way, do you know what the current state is for Wayland support in Pantheon? I am hoping eventually you will swap over as well wink

Board footer