You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-18 13:12:42

mani

install in virtualBox GRUB not working

Hi, I just followed this video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqh9AQt3nho) , and the installation was successful, but when I tried to reboot the only thing it displayed was 'GRUB' and nothing happened whatever I pressed. I have an Ubuntu running the virtualBox. Thanks for the help

#2 2015-08-18 13:16:17

karol
Archivist

Re: install in virtualBox GRUB not working

Read the wiki instead of watching some videos.

#3 2015-08-18 13:34:10

mani

karol wrote:

First, thanks for the kind help. I read the wiki before the video, but as I am new to this topic, I found it a bit complex, so I searched for a step-by-step tutorial. Then I read the wiki again after I encountered this problem, but that still didn't help me, that's why I thought maybe someone can help me. I thought maybe the problem is with my virtual box setup or something that the wiki installation guide doesn't mention.
So thanks again for the help, it must feel good to understand the wiki and be smarter than others on a help forum among newbies.

#4 2015-08-18 14:11:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

mani wrote:

Hi, I just followed <random video> and the installation was successful, but <it really wasn't>

FTFY.

Moving to N.C. as there is absolutely no information here to go on.  Either ask on the youtube page, or start again carefully following the wiki and or provide us with *some* information.  My first thought is that your partitioning scheme is not exactly the same as that in the video - but that's just a random guess as you have - again - not given us anything to go on.

EDIT: But thanks for the daily dose of irony.  The wiki was too complex, so you chose the video which seemed easier.  Does it seem easier now?  The people who edit the wiki are working hard not to make it complex, but to make it as simple as possible while still working.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2015-08-18 14:12:08

dockland

mani wrote:
karol wrote:

First, thanks for the kind help. I read the wiki before the video, but as I am new to this topic, I found it a bit complex, so I searched for a step-by-step tutorial. Then I read the wiki again after I encountered this problem, but that still didn't help me, that's why I thought maybe someone can help me. I thought maybe the problem is with my virtual box setup or something that the wiki installation guide doesn't mention.
So thanks again for the help, it must feel good to understand the wiki and be smarter than others on a help forum among newbies.

I don't have the time to watch this tutorial on Youtube. But if you specify what differs the video tutorial from the wiki i might help.

I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
I use it to look at funny pictures of cats and to argue with strangers.

#6 2015-08-19 10:03:33

mani

Ok, so I started from the beginning, followed this tutorial https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide#Prepare_the_storage_devices, but I still get the GRUB on my display and nothing happens. Any idea now?

#7 2015-08-24 16:35:02

boban_dj

Yes, have an idea.
If it's not working from following the guide from the arch wiki, you did something wrong.
Your youtube link is not a very good tutorial. The arch way is to learn and understand by yourself, not following a video that tells you how to type:

mount /dev/sda

This video is following the arch wiki, and maybe can be of help to understand the installation.
But again, the arch wiki has all very well explained, and should be your main troubleshoot and learning source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_hwvU98xQ

#8 2015-08-24 18:05:57

budalas

It's not that long ago that i installed arch for the first time so i definitely get why beginner's guide can be hard to follow. I don't know what is causing your problem but here is a guide that helped me install arch for the first time.
link redacted
p.s. i would choose a mbr (cfdisk comand in the guide above) partition table instead of gpt i think it's a bit easier to set up. Hope this helps.

-- mod edit: link redacted.  Trilby --

#9 2015-08-24 18:07:18

dockland

mani wrote:

Ok, so I started from the beginning, followed this tutorial https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide#Prepare_the_storage_devices, but I still get the GRUB on my display and nothing happens. Any idea now?

GPT or MBR? EFI or BIOS? Ho do your partitioning look like? Where is your GRUB installed? Have you installed GRUB? have you mounted everything? Have you flagged any partition? Which one and how did you flag?
Have you disabled secure boot? Deleted the secure-boot-keys from your BIOS/UEFI?

Last edited by dockland (2015-08-24 18:08:09)

I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
I use it to look at funny pictures of cats and to argue with strangers.

#10 2015-08-24 19:58:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

budulas, please do not do that.  That looks like the crappy tutorial that repeatedly leads users with broken systems to these forums.  If it worked for you, consider yourself lucky.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#11 2015-08-24 21:56:06

budalas

Trilby the reason i put that link is because beginers guide is hard to follow (and i don't mean that it is bad, wiki is one of the reasons i love arch) because it is writen to have everything you would need to install arch as beginer but all the options that you have with arch can be overvhelming if you are installing it for the first time. In tutorial that i posted the link to is almost exclusively content from beginer's guide it is just sort of the default setup that would be good for anyone new. And in the begining of the tutotial it is stated that you should definitly read the whole beginer's guide first.

I think you should reenable the link. (i hope i didn't offend you or anyone that worked hard on writing and editing beginer's tutorial and wiki smile)

#12 2015-08-24 23:43:08

oliver

budalas wrote:

Trilby the reason i put that link is because beginers guide is hard to follow (and i don't mean that it is bad, wiki is one of the reasons i love arch) because it is writen to have everything you would need to install arch as beginer but all the options that you have with arch can be overvhelming if you are installing it for the first time.

You might be better served mentioning the parts you found hard to follow.  If they were to be clarified it would help future users in the same position as yourself.

#13 2015-08-25 00:13:48

budalas

oliver wrote:
budalas wrote:

Trilby the reason i put that link is because beginers guide is hard to follow (and i don't mean that it is bad, wiki is one of the reasons i love arch) because it is writen to have everything you would need to install arch as beginer but all the options that you have with arch can be overvhelming if you are installing it for the first time.

You might be better served mentioning the parts you found hard to follow.  If they were to be clarified it would help future users in the same position as yourself.

I can't remember what parts specificaly were dificult because if i look at it now everything seams normal and understandable. But i remember that there was too much information for exemple if you don't know what initramfs is and there is mentioning of hooks and stuff someone new can feel lost, i wouldn't change anything cause it's good to have that info i would just add a place after each section where there would be comand/s that would be necesary for universal instalation. And i know that the whole point of arch is to choose everything yourself but it would help someone new to install arch and than slowly learn about everything. Atleast thats how i started and you could say that you don't learn anything by doing that but i learned alot just trying diferent things after installing arch (installing new de new bootloader aur etc.) I would also ad a description of what each section is, like there is in the begining of every wiki page (it could be just copyed from the page on that subject). I know that you could go on each page and look for description but as a new user you might not know that and for a beginer its less confusing to have everything on one page.

anyway this are just my thoughts

Last edited by budalas (2015-08-25 00:17:35)

Board footer