You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-28 22:20:40

uros

Partially [SOLVED]: Disable virtual console on CTRL-ALT-F9

Hello

If I press CTRL-ALT-F9(actually anything from F7 to F12) the system switches to a virtual console - but there's no login, just a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner.
The problem with CTRL-ALT-F9 in particular is, that I often connect to my machine at work via RDP (Remmina) where I have this application and CTRL-ALT-F9 is a shorcut I use very often in this application. So I keep switching to the virtual console and it's driving me crazy. How can I disable the virtual console?

Thanks

Last edited by uros (2015-08-29 10:34:02)

#2 2015-08-28 23:00:25

Sedrunum

Re: Partially [SOLVED]: Disable virtual console on CTRL-ALT-F9

Hi there!

Haven't test it out but assume this could work:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/357039/ … les-tty1-6

Let me know if that was helpful.

#3 2015-08-29 10:33:09

uros

The only thing that worked for me from that link was the "DontVTSwitch" option in xorg.conf. Now, none of the CTRL-ALT-Fx keys do anything. It's definitely an improvement so thanks for that. However I was hoping to keep at least some of the virtual consoles (for example F1-F4) and disable the rest. It can still come in handy in case X becomes unresponsive - just switch to a virtual console and kill an application.

I did some additional searching on Google and found out about the NAutoVTs option in logind.conf. It kind of worked - if I set it to NAutoVTs=4, I'd have virtual consoles with bash login on F1-F4. Anything from F5 onward still switched to a console but there was no login, just a blinking cursor in the top left corner. And that doesn't really solve my problem, I need the CTRL-ALT-F9 to F12 shorcuts to do nothing.

#4 2015-08-29 11:00:33

Raynman

uros wrote:

It can still come in handy in case X becomes unresponsive - just switch to a virtual console and kill an application.

As a more drastic measure, you could still kill X completely with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (with the right option enabled).

If you can't tell X to ignore this key combination only for some function keys, maybe you can set up a different key (combination) to send Ctrl+Alt+F9 to this specific application* using xdotool or something similar. I'm not sure this would work, but you could check it out.

* I'm assuming the application doesn't allow you to change the keybidings?

Board footer