You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-29 08:04:31

qbic2005

rsync mounts source drive read only

Hello

I'm trying to setup an incremental backup with deja-dup (based on rsync).

Each time I try to backup my home folder it will be mounted read only after a few % and backup will crash.

My home folder is a separate partition (ext3) so it does not immediately crash the entire system.
The destination drive is FAT32.
I'm running rsync with user rights, obvious the sync list will be in the home dir that is being backuped.
I checked the source drive with smart and it seems to have some bad sectors, but health says 90%, so it is not dying yet.
I ran some different tools also based on rsync, all fail in similar ways, so issue must be rsync related.

Does anyone have a idea what I missed here?

Next up rsync manually with verbose option, hope it gives me a clue.

#2 2015-08-29 08:10:02

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: rsync mounts source drive read only

Not a Sysadmin issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-08-29 11:37:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

My first thought was your title is deceptive.  This is a deja-dup issue not rsync - I have no idea what deja-dup is nor how it works, but I thought I might be able to help when I saw the title as I am familiar with rsync.

But you go on to say you've tried other rsync based tools - but you don't say which ones.

And you end your post by indicating that you are actually aware of precisely how to get good diagnostic information and actual error messages ... but you have not bothered to do so.  Please bother to do so.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2015-08-30 09:45:12

qbic2005

@Trilby:
Deja-dup is just a rsync front end, the only problem with deja-dup is that it does not have any option to show the verbose info for the underlying rsync commands. As I'm far from a rsync expert, I opted using another graphical tool (backintime), with log viewer.    However the log did not spawn any specific rsync error though I did get the same problem with the backup.
As for your comment on diagnostics and logs, yes I'm aware.  But you should not see my post as a cry for help, rather as an informative question, all I wanted to know was what I was doing made any sense and if possibly someone had encountered something like me before, since the google result for my search turned out quite empty on that last part.  Your answer helped me on both fields indirectly, no comment on what I was doing and look further then rsync. wink

After messing around with manual file copy, I figured out that the read only source drive was triggered by touching one file.  Guess this file must have been corrupted.  So issue was Ext3 problem or Ext3 safety feature, not rsync in the end.
Still waiting for the rsync to finish backup, but assume solved if you see no continuation.

Thank you for thinking with me. smile

Last edited by qbic2005 (2015-08-30 09:45:35)

Board footer