You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-30 12:03:55

jbaans

[SOLVED] Lost persistent disk device names

Hi all,

I've noticed that after a recent update my disk device naming is not persistent anymore, i.e. sda becomes sde, sdd or alike after subsequent reboots. I have 5 usb disks and a usb cd drive and no internal disks in my (media center) system.
This caused one of my udev disk rule for spinning down disks to no longer function properly, which was set up according to
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hd … _udev_rule

I've fixed my udev rule by changing the udev rule from:

ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[b-c]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="1", RUN+="/usr/bin/hdparm -B 100 -S 241 /dev/%k"

to:

# Lacie 1TB specific:
ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd*", ATTRS{vendor}=="ST310005", ATTRS{model}=="20AS", RUN+="/usr/bin/hdparm -B 100 -S 241 /dev/%k"

So is this (new?) non-persistency in disk device naming desired?
According to udev manuals it SHOULD be persistent. I am guessing I messed up somewhere, but no clue where to look now. Who can provide pointers?

Last edited by jbaans (2015-08-30 18:40:59)

#2 2015-08-30 12:06:41

Raynman

Re: [SOLVED] Lost persistent disk device names

#3 2015-08-30 12:35:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I suspect the udev manual you refers to is instructing you to only use persistent names.  Block names (sda, sdb, etc) were never expected to be persistent.

mod note: moved to newbie corner.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2015-08-30 18:33:56

jbaans

Thanks for the pointers.

My system is booting using EFI, already set up using UUID's like what is suggested at the website Raynman is pointing to. So far persistency as intended.

As Trilby notes the block names sda, sdb, sdc, etc keep getting reassigned to different devices after each reboot.This especially happens since I've added the options

noauto,x-systemd.automount

to some drives in /etc/fstab, recently (for booting without needing the disks to be online).

I find this behaviour of changing block names rather strange, but suppose I can configure my system to live with it. Thanks again!

Board footer