You are not logged in.

#101 2015-07-15 13:15:21

skanky

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Sorry, I've never used smplayer so I don't know. I think it's possible to pipe from youtube-dl directly into mplayer, so that may be the way to go. I don't know what options you'll need to use, though.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#102 2015-08-11 14:09:01

skanky

Just updated the qutebrowser-git package on my machine and it looks like the config file may have been overwritten?
Certainly it reset one or two settings (I forget all the things I'd changed and I've only just restarted it).

"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#103 2015-08-23 16:04:05

null

Hey The Compiler, I was looking for a non gtkwebkit based browser alternative for dwb and found qutebrowser. It looks very nice and usable so far and I love the possibility to use other option variables as option. Much nicer than to insert the same value over and over again smile

I'm still looking for tabs on the side feature. Is it already in there and I couldn't find it? Or would you be so kind and consider adding it?

#104 2015-08-23 20:40:15

skanky

null wrote:

Hey The Compiler, I was looking for a non gtkwebkit based browser alternative for dwb and found qutebrowser. It looks very nice and usable so far and I love the possibility to use other option variables as option. Much nicer than to insert the same value over and over again smile

I'm still looking for tabs on the side feature. Is it already in there and I couldn't find it? Or would you be so kind and consider adding it?

"Tabs" section, "position" setting.
Values are "top", "bottom", "left", "right". Default is "top".

#105 2015-08-25 09:58:54

null

Thanks. Didn't see that..

#106 2015-08-25 20:32:23

skanky

null wrote:

Thanks. Didn't see that..

Not immediatley obvious. smile

#107 2015-08-31 08:54:12

The Compiler
Website

skanky wrote:

Just updated the qutebrowser-git package on my machine and it looks like the config file may have been overwritten?
Certainly it reset one or two settings (I forget all the things I'd changed and I've only just restarted it).

Gaah, that sucks sad

The current config code is... rubbish - I want to rip it (almost) all out and replace it with something better (and better tested) - see #499 for some details.

Any chance you still have the corrupted file lying around, or can even reproduce the issue? I've opened #515 for another config corruption some while ago, but it never happened to me again, so it's really hard to track this down...

>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

#108 2015-08-31 15:39:34

skanky

The Compiler wrote:
skanky wrote:

Gaah, that sucks sad

The current config code is... rubbish - I want to rip it (almost) all out and replace it with something better (and better tested) - see #499 for some details.

Any chance you still have the corrupted file lying around, or can even reproduce the issue? I've opened #515 for another config corruption some while ago, but it never happened to me again, so it's really hard to track this down...

No, don't have original or a corrupted one, sorry. Think it just got overwritten.
Interestingly, the latest update (last week sometime), I didn't lose my settings, but the config file now seems to have the new settings comments - eg the hide tab bar setting comment now talks about hide unless switching (I like that setting, it's great, BTW). I was surprised as I didn't think the local config file would be touched. I have to admit I haven't looked into how it's done, but how does the config file get updated (if at all)? I'm thinking of the one in ~/.config.

#109 2015-09-01 06:25:36

The Compiler
Website

skanky wrote:

Interestingly, the latest update (last week sometime), I didn't lose my settings, but the config file now seems to have the new settings comments - eg the hide tab bar setting comment now talks about hide unless switching (I like that setting, it's great, BTW). I was surprised as I didn't think the local config file would be touched. I have to admit I haven't looked into how it's done, but how does the config file get updated (if at all)? I'm thinking of the one in ~/.config.

The config file essentially gets rewritten if there are options which aren't in the config file (i.e. I added a new option, or you removed one from the file), or if you change an option via the GUI.

I mainly thought of the "setting settings via the GUI" workflow when implementing the current config system, and then thought "hmm, why not add comments to the generated file". I regret the decision, and it surprises everyone who prefers to edit the config by hand.

In the future, I plan to have a separate "GUI config" file which the user isn't supposed to touch, and a config.py where the user can set their own settings, and also control whether GUI settings are loaded or not, etc.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#110 2015-09-01 10:16:48

skanky

The Compiler wrote:
skanky wrote:

The config file essentially gets rewritten if there are options which aren't in the config file (i.e. I added a new option, or you removed one from the file), or if you change an option via the GUI.

I mainly thought of the "setting settings via the GUI" workflow when implementing the current config system, and then thought "hmm, why not add comments to the generated file". I regret the decision, and it surprises everyone who prefers to edit the config by hand.

In the future, I plan to have a separate "GUI config" file which the user isn't supposed to touch, and a config.py where the user can set their own settings, and also control whether GUI settings are loaded or not, etc.

Makes sense, thanks for the information. smile

#111 2015-09-01 12:35:30

VanillaFunk
Website

this browser has been a great relief ... very happy with it thus far. thanks for who ever is maintaining this

archx86_64 : awesomewm
https://github.com/dreemsoul

Remeber to feed the squirrels

#112 2015-09-13 08:21:43

Yggdrasil

Is there a way to list all tabs like 'gt' in dwb?

Alt-<num> is nice but i have way too much tabs open most of the time.

#113 2015-09-13 20:23:49

The Compiler
Website

Yggdrasil wrote:

Is there a way to list all tabs like 'gt' in dwb?

Alt-<num> is nice but i have way too much tabs open most of the time.

Unfortunately not yet - see #32. But currently it's also rather hard to create dynamic completions, see #74 for that.

It's definitely a much requested feature, but I personally don't think it'd use it, so it'll have to wait a bit as I'm busy with other stuff...

File "<stdin>", line 1

#114 2015-09-18 07:48:05

r6

Sorry if this has been asked, but is it possible to see the javascript console.log output on stderr?

#115 2015-09-18 07:54:57

The Compiler
Website

r6 wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked, but is it possible to see the javascript console.log output on stderr?

:set general log-javascript-console true and starting with qutebrowser --debug --logfilter js should do that.

Hmm, maybe the log-javascript-console setting should take a log level instead?

File "<stdin>", line 1

#116 2015-09-18 12:26:01

r6

Works great, thanks.

#117 2015-09-21 00:49:49

r6

When the status bar is disabled, it still appears occasionally such as SSL errors, when mailto: link is pressed, keypresses. Is it possible to remove it completely? We need a kiosk mode - no status bar at all.

#118 2015-09-21 07:02:51

The Compiler
Website

r6 wrote:

When the status bar is disabled, it still appears occasionally such as SSL errors, when mailto: link is pressed, keypresses. Is it possible to remove it completely? We need a kiosk mode - no status bar at all.

Who's "we"?

What should happen in those cases then?

File "<stdin>", line 1

#119 2015-09-21 11:43:48

r6

Sorry 'we' hear at work. Sometimes the status bar appears, but there's no keyboard plugged in to get rid of it. Maybe hide-statusbar could have a "never" option like the tabs bar.

#120 2015-09-21 11:46:41

The Compiler
Website

Oh, interesting! What's your usecase for qutebrowser?

I'm not sure if it's really a good fit for a kiosk browser though, and using it without the keyboard is pretty much the opposite of its philosophy tongue

I'd guess something like the minimal webkit testbrowser in the repo would fit better?

File "<stdin>", line 1

#121 2015-09-21 14:01:16

r6

It's a little web app on a touchscreen, which takes tap events but no other input. Thanks for the suggestion, will take a look at the testbrowser smile

#122 2015-09-21 17:04:14

navi_se

This is sweet. It was exactly what I was looking for, with a good mix of modern features and vim-style commands! First use, and its great, immediatly replacing conkeror! Is there a way to make flash work on it?

#123 2015-09-21 19:59:07

skanky

See the "allow-plugins" setting in the conf file.

#124 2015-09-22 10:15:33

navi_se

Is there a way to perform a "open-and-search" action with few keystrokes? One of the most memorable ability of conkeror. you could type gg <search query> <enter> to skip google home page and land directly in the search results. The first g opened the buffer and the second one selected google among a bookmark list. Is there a way to replicate this, or build a custom command for it?

#125 2015-09-22 14:46:52

karlch

If you type in a search query instead of a URL after (tab)open, qutebrowser should search for it in your selected search engine (Duckduckgo per default, feel free to change it to google...). Duckduckgo has the awesome feature of !bangs, so you could e.g. do sth like ":open !aw pacman" and search for pacman in the arch wiki. Is that all you were looking for?

Board footer