You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-31 00:55:04

Salkay

[SOLVED] Two volume-control icons in Plasma 5 system tray

A recent upgrade left me with two volume icons in the system tray.

q3Yygq1.png

When I look at the tray entries, one is named "Volume Control" and the other is "Audio Volume". Also, when I use the keyboard shortcuts to change volume, I get two on-screen displays.

bqyQRUTt.png

This may relate to one of the following upgrades.

[2015-08-23 20:50] [ALPM] upgraded kdemultimedia-kmix (15.04.3-1 -> 15.08.0-2)
[2015-08-29 20:40] [ALPM] upgraded plasma-workspace (5.3.2-3 -> 5.4.0-1)

Alternatively, perhaps I have two packages installed that shouldn't be. However, I have kdemultimedia-kmix installed, but not kmix. How can I have only one volume-control present?

Last edited by Salkay (2015-09-20 23:04:29)

#2 2015-08-31 01:02:02

Soukyuu

Re: [SOLVED] Two volume-control icons in Plasma 5 system tray

"Audio Volume" should be the new plasma-pa applet, while the "Volume Control" is probably kmix. You can just rightclick kmix and choose quit/exit, it won't come back unless you start it manually. If you want to disable the other one, either uninstall plasma-pa or go to systemtray settings and untick it in the Extra Items section.

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#3 2015-08-31 01:37:10

Salkay

Thanks for the reply. I tried quitting the old "Volume Control" applet, but I couldn't use the keyboard shortcuts to change the volume after that. (Actually, I didn't check, but there was no on-screen display. Perhaps the volume was actually changing.) However, I had a plasma crash pretty soon after, and this gave me a single volume on-screen display.

I restarted to check, but after restart, both applets were present again.

So are you saying that the old "Volume Control" was installed by kdemultimedia-kmix? I had a check and this was a dependency of kde-meta-kdemultimedia. OTOH, plasma-pa was a dependency of plasma-meta. I'm not sure if it was intentional to have both installed at once, if users used both meta packages. Or (from the name) is kde-meta-kdemultimedia KDE 4 and not Plasma 5?

Last edited by Salkay (2015-08-31 01:37:36)

#4 2015-08-31 06:40:27

arojas
Developer

Salkay wrote:

So are you saying that the old "Volume Control" was installed by kdemultimedia-kmix? I had a check and this was a dependency of kde-meta-kdemultimedia. OTOH, plasma-pa was a dependency of plasma-meta. I'm not sure if it was intentional to have both installed at once, if users used both meta packages. Or (from the name) is kde-meta-kdemultimedia KDE 4 and not Plasma 5?

The old "volume control" is kmix, it is a desktop independent application that sits on the system tray. The new one is a plasma 5 applet. If you only want one of them, disable autostarting the other one (or just uninstall it)

#5 2015-08-31 09:36:27

Tromzy

I personnally uninstalled kmix, and I use plasma-pa.

#6 2015-08-31 11:11:38

Salkay

arojas wrote:

The old "volume control" is kmix, it is a desktop independent application that sits on the system tray. The new one is a plasma 5 applet. If you only want one of them, disable autostarting the other one (or just uninstall it)

I probably won't uninstall either package, since I like having the meta packages installed. However, how can I disable autostart? I couldn't find anything in my user's system settings. For kmix, the package installed `/usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop`, but I didn't see anything obvious for the new applet. I tried moving the following files, but that didn't prevent it from starting on reboot.

/usr/share/kservices5/kcm_pulseaudio.desktop
/usr/share/kservices5/plasma-applet-org.kde.plasma.volume.desktop
Tromzy wrote:

I personnally uninstalled kmix, and I use plasma-pa.

At this point, kmix looks more feature-rich, so I'll stick with this for a little while.

#7 2015-09-18 01:46:30

Salkay

Bump. Is there a way to disable autostarting of the new plasma 5 applet while leaving plasma-pa installed?

#8 2015-09-18 13:09:21

Soukyuu

SystemTray settings -> untick "audio volume" in the extra items list?

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#9 2015-09-18 13:39:38

Salkay

Soukyuu wrote:

SystemTray settings -> untick "audio volume" in the extra items list?

Thanks, that does remove the icon in the system tray, but I'm still getting two pop-ups when I change the volume using the keyboard shortcuts. (In particular, the new one is quite large and intrusive.)

#10 2015-09-18 23:33:45

Soukyuu

I'm only using the PA one, but the popup is the same size as the kmix one, and looks identical for me. Are you sure the large one comes from plasma-pa?
Actually, why don't you just uninstall plasma-pa if you're not using it?

Last edited by Soukyuu (2015-09-18 23:34:32)

#11 2015-09-18 23:55:17

Salkay

Soukyuu wrote:

I'm only using the PA one, but the popup is the same size as the kmix one, and looks identical for me. Are you sure the large one comes from plasma-pa?

Before the upgrade, I only had the lower popup from the screenshot below. More recently, I'm getting the top one as well. I presume it's from plasma-pa.

6wXAYZOs.jpg

Soukyuu wrote:

Actually, why don't you just uninstall plasma-pa if you're not using it?

I didn't really want to do this, because it's installed as a dependency of the meta package `plasma-meta`, which I'd like to keep installed. (I guess I could force uninstall with -dd, but that seems a bit messier.)

#12 2015-09-19 00:05:23

Soukyuu

Wouldn't pacman -Qi plasma-pa list that though?

pacman -Qi plasma-pa
Name           : plasma-pa
Version        : 5.4.1-1
Description    : Plasma applet for audio volume management using PulseAudio
Architecture   : x86_64
URL            : https://projects.kde.org/plasma-pa
Licenses       : LGPL
Groups         : plasma
Provides       : None
Depends On     : plasma-workspace  pulseaudio
Optional Deps  : None
Required By    : None
Optional For   : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces       : None
Installed Size : 450.00 KiB
Packager       : Felix Yan <felixonmars@archlinux.org>
Build Date     : Di 08 Sep 2015 16:23:41 CEST
Install Date   : Sa 12 Sep 2015 01:20:19 CEST
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : No
Validated By   : Signature

#13 2015-09-19 00:41:46

Salkay

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. I'm saying that I already know plasma-pa is installed as a dependency of plasma-meta, but I'd like to keep the meta package installed.

$ pacman -Qi plasma-pa
Required By    : plasma-meta
Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package

#14 2015-09-19 08:32:58

gigagoochelaar

The Wiki says you need kmix for Plasma 5 and kmix conflicts with kdemultimedia-kmix from kde-applications-meta. I could solve my sound issues with removing kde-applications-meta and installing kmix and some others manually. Don't forget to install a terminal together with kmix if you start with sddm, removing kde-applications-meta also removes konsole ...

#15 2015-09-19 08:56:12

Salkay

gigagoochelaar wrote:

The Wiki says you need kmix for Plasma 5 and kmix conflicts with kdemultimedia-kmix from kde-applications-meta. I could solve my sound issues with removing kde-applications-meta and installing kmix and some others manually. Don't forget to install a terminal together with kmix if you start with sddm, removing kde-applications-meta also removes konsole ...

Ah good find. Yes, so kde-applications-meta depends on kde-meta-kdemultimedia, which depends on kdemultimedia-kmix. However, Plasma 5 users should use kmix (and plasma-pa), not kdemultimedia-kmix. So if this part of the wiki is correct, there is no KDE applications meta-package available for Plasma 5 users.

#16 2015-09-19 11:23:49

Soukyuu

Salkay wrote:

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. I'm saying that I already know plasma-pa is installed as a dependency of plasma-meta, but I'd like to keep the meta package installed.

$ pacman -Qi plasma-pa
Required By    : plasma-meta
Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package

What I was saying is that I expected pacman to list all packages that might require it, not just the ones you have installed. It seems to be the latter though. I imagine you want to keep plasma-meta to be able to uninstall stuff in one step, but wouldn't it also work if you remove plasma-pa and plasma-meta now, then, should you want to uninstall, just install plasma-meta again (pulling in plasma-pa again) and then uninstall the whole thing?

#17 2015-09-19 12:24:00

V1del
Forum Moderator

just use the groups instead of the meta packages, the only "advantage" of meta packages is that they automatically install new programs that become dependencies of it, I just occasionally run

pacman -S group --needed

if there is a new dependency that might interest me

#18 2015-09-19 20:13:37

arojas
Developer

gigagoochelaar wrote:

The wiki is not quite right. kmix is a desktop intependent application and doesn't care which version of plasma you're using. The KF5 version (kmix) has not been officially released yet and is only provided for testing purposes. The officially supported version is kdemultimedia-kmix. The only problem of using kdemultimedia-kmix in Plasma5 is that the checkbox to launch it automatically at startup doesn't work (because it installs the desktop file to the KDE4 path) so you need to add it to autostart yourself in systemsettings.

#19 2015-09-20 12:06:09

xgdgsc

I have to install kmix to make volume adjustment keys to work. Is there a way that I can uninstall kmix and use plasma-pa, and make volume adjustment keys work?

#20 2015-09-20 13:03:17

Salkay

Soukyuu wrote:

I imagine you want to keep plasma-meta to be able to uninstall stuff in one step, but wouldn't it also work if you remove plasma-pa and plasma-meta now, then, should you want to uninstall, just install plasma-meta again (pulling in plasma-pa again) and then uninstall the whole thing?

I mainly keep plasma-meta to stay on top of new packages that are added as dependencies. I regularly uninstall "orphan" packages, so uninstalling the meta package would lose its dependencies.

V1del wrote:

just use the groups instead of the meta packages, the only "advantage" of meta packages is that they automatically install new programs that become dependencies of it, I just occasionally run

pacman -S group --needed

if there is a new dependency that might interest me

Not a bad option, but the only thing with this is that it wouldn't track packages that are removed from the group (i.e. automatically remove them).

arojas wrote:

The KF5 version (kmix) has not been officially released yet and is only provided for testing purposes.

Ah… so does that mean that you can't stop it from autostarting? I couldn't see anything obvious in the "normal" autostart *.desktop directories.

#21 2015-09-20 13:31:32

arojas
Developer

Salkay wrote:

Ah… so does that mean that you can't stop it from autostarting? I couldn't see anything obvious in the "normal" autostart *.desktop directories.

Sure you can: uncheck "Autostart" in kmix settings. Or add 'AutoStart=false' under [Global] in ~/.config/kmixrc

#22 2015-09-20 14:00:25

Salkay

arojas wrote:
Salkay wrote:

Sure you can: uncheck "Autostart" in kmix settings. Or add 'AutoStart=false' under [Global] in ~/.config/kmixrc

Sorry, are you talking about the "old" kmix from kdemultimedia-kmix? I'm trying to disable the "new" kmix from plasma-pa. I can't find any settings for this.

#23 2015-09-20 14:08:01

arojas
Developer

Salkay wrote:

Sorry, are you talking about the "old" kmix from kdemultimedia-kmix? I'm trying to disable the "new" kmix from plasma-pa. I can't find any settings for this.

Then don't call it kmix, plasma-pa has nothing to do with kmix. You can disable it in the system tray settings, like any other applet.

#24 2015-09-20 15:00:54

Soukyuu

The problem with that is, that even after disabling the applet, it still displays the OSD when using the volume buttons, in Salkay's case it displays both the kmix and the applet OSD. I'm not even sure what disabling the applet in the extra items menu does, except for not displaying the icon.

#25 2015-09-20 15:06:26

arojas
Developer

Soukyuu wrote:

The problem with that is, that even after disabling the applet, it still displays the OSD when using the volume buttons, in Salkay's case it displays both the kmix and the applet OSD. I'm not even sure what disabling the applet in the extra items menu does, except for not displaying the icon.

Works for me. After disabling plasma-pa I don't get any OSD when pressing the volume keys. I didn't even have to restart plasma.

Board footer