You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-20 19:11:11

rudi
Website

pacman n00b

Hi,

First i've installed the base 0.5 from CD. Then i've upgraded pacman to the newest version. After that i idid pacman -Syu to upgrade my system. During the upgrading i got a lot of messages of .conf files to be backed up and renamed. After the upgrade i did not re-editted any .conf files *edit* rebooted */edit* and there my system failed to excist. No more booting.
Can someone tell me what i should have done after the pacman -Syu?

Greets, Rudi

Brian: You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves. You're all individuals!
Crowd: Yes, we're all individuals!

#2 2004-02-20 21:15:07

Bobonov

Re: pacman n00b

Well from your post is not very clear  which is the sequence of the action but I guess you use lilo adn you didn't run lilo before rebooting (lilo need to be lunched each time is upgraded).

You can easyly  recover your arch by using the install cd.

Here is a post that can help you
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=2218

#3 2004-02-20 21:33:39

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

That, and those conf file changes should have been looked at.  You should merge in any new changes you want with any old ones you had.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-02-21 08:20:58

rudi
Website

Bobonov wrote:

Well from your post is not very clear  which is the sequence of the action but I guess you use lilo adn you didn't run lilo before rebooting (lilo need to be lunched each time is upgraded).

I did run lilo after upgrade.

@Xentac:
That is the problem. I don't know wich changes are made except the warnings that pacman gives during upgrading. The system makes a new lilo.conf and net fstab and so on, but i thought that because i didn't make any HW changes why change those scripts. I've compared the new and the "old" ones and there were no changes except for the HW specific settings.

To makes things more clear this is exactly what i have done:

1. boot PC with 0.5 Base install disc and install 0.5 Arch base
2. After reboot i've run pacman -Sy pacman
3. pacman -Syu and choose yes on all upgrades
4. Compared lilo.conf.pacnew with lilo.conf, no changes there run Lilo
5. Compare fstab no visable changes so rebooted
6. scratch myself on the back end of my head, cried like a little girl, rebooted in windoze and ask what was going on at bbs.archlinux.org

Brian: You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves. You're all individuals!
Crowd: Yes, we're all individuals!

#5 2004-02-21 21:19:54

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Look at programs like diff and vimdiff.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer