You are not logged in.

#301 2006-03-14 18:46:44

Greycloack

Re: XGL., anyone wanna join the ride?

Is there a point of trying to run it on an i855gm?

I have a laptop with this card, I can run 3d applications (tuxracer, epsxe) but it's not exactly a great card.

Also, currently I'm using openbox, can I use all the nifty features (rotating cube, show all windows and such) with it?

Thanks,
Grey

#302 2006-03-14 21:04:48

The_Nerd
Website

to the best of my knowledge, xgl is only working with window managers that have compatable composition managers, aka xfce and gnome. i dont believe that you will see any benifit of running openbox in xgl, though i could be wrong. i have tried running my pekwm desktop inside of it and i get nothing different than a normal x session.

#303 2006-03-15 09:01:57

Sigi

I've been using shadowhands xfce4-svn packages for a long time and I really appreciate his work on xfce and Xgl. I've set up Xgl out of his repo and I'm really impressed by it.
Anyway, I've got a problem when starting Xgl into a xfce4-session. First I get a long timeout, then the xfce-mouse appears and blinks for about 30s. After that the Xgl desktop is working, but the xfce-mouse stays on top of to desktop – if I right click my mouse, the xfce-menu appears on top of the xfce-splash screen. If I switch desktops by pressing [ctrl][alt]-[right] "the cube rotates", but the splash-screen is on to of the other workplaces also... Could this be caused by the fact that I use the fglrx-driver?

Cheers Sigi

PS. I didn't investigate any further in this topic, but maybe someone knows more…?

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#304 2006-03-15 22:08:20

jinn

When will xgl final come?

the changelog:
http://cia.navi.cx/stats/author/davidr

Alot of fixes seems to have been done the last week..

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

#305 2006-03-18 16:11:17

big_gie

Mikos wrote:

I have also completely rewritten startxgl script. It is now based on new Gentoo startxgl script (from CoffeeBuzz portage overlay). Use 'startxgl --help' for help.

Hi Mikos,

I'm updating to your xgl-abs-overlay-20060308-1. I do have a comment though on your startxgl. You use command line arguments to choose display number, window manager and video card. While the display number and window manager are ok on the command line, I think the video card should be hardcoded in a  variable, since it quite rare a user have multiple video cards...

#306 2006-03-27 18:22:24

egad

Hi all
First I guess I should say although not horendously new to Arch, but it's been a bit since I last used it to any extent, as well as hello.
Anyway moving right along.

(I hope I got this thing to finally reply without look like a twit.)

I followed the the XGL stuff posted to Wiki.  Added Shadowhands repo. The startxgl script runs, but both XFCE and Gnome have various problems that look like video related issues.  Menus get garbled, Mozilla and firefox are basicly unusable. XFCE hangs when I logout-but from what I've read this is a known problem.

Is everything else normal for XGL and or Compiz?
:evil: 

If it makes any difference I had ran Pacman -S nvidia and setup my video card with 'regular' xorg 7 before I did any of the xgl stuff. I use a geforce.
Is their something I need to do? Or just hold my horses because xgl is bugy?

#307 2006-03-27 21:00:05

Gullible Jones

jinn wrote:

When will xgl final come?

the changelog:
http://cia.navi.cx/stats/author/davidr

Alot of fixes seems to have been done the last week..

I've heard that it was supposed to be integrated into XOrg 7.1. That's going to be released about 3 months from now though, so they might have moved the date back.

At any rate, it's almost certain to go stable before Windows Vista.

#308 2006-03-27 21:34:17

danes

I just installed Xgl packages from Shadowhand repositories,  when I try to start Xgl

startxgl 1 gnome nvidia

I just get my gnome-session with white windows, no text from any window.

Any idea?

regards.

#309 2006-04-01 02:43:30

Gullible Jones

Hey guys, I installed XGL and trying to start it gets me a few seconds of a black screen with a cursor, followed by a "couldn't create glitz drawable" error message. What gives?

Edit: Yeeowwch, installing XGL also removed some necessary .desktop files for Gnome. roll Time to reinstall my desktop environment... Ack.

#310 2006-04-09 11:36:20

Mikos
Website

!!! UPDATE !!!

I have released new version of my xgl-abs-overlay. There are really big changes, I highly recommend update.
This thread is now too large, so I have started new topic where you will find my latest releases and also some news about Xgl and Compiz.

Proceed here: Latest Xgl and Compiz PKGBUILDs

Board footer