You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-27 12:00:36

bu.domino

GTK apps have excess blank space when the window is scrollable

Hello,

I am having a problem with what appears to be my GTK theme. I am using the ubuntu theme (don't judge me), but it seems as if there is something wrong with it.
troubleshoot-XjMAV7hZ.1440676772.png
As you can see by the red boxes, there is extra space when the area is scrollable. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but it is unsightly, a waste of space and, in gedit, very much in the way.

Would anyone know what the issue is? I will provide the necessary information if needs be.

EDIT: Decided not to pursue a fix because the fault lies in the theme itself, not gtk. Best wait for an update from the theme developer.

Last edited by bu.domino (2015-09-06 06:19:21)

#2 2015-08-28 09:24:51

Silkworm205

Re: GTK apps have excess blank space when the window is scrollable

Have you tried updating the GTK theme or using another one? Ubuntu's running an older version of GTK3 to Arch (Ubuntu is 3.14 while Arch is 3.16), so It's probably just outdated.
It may be worth giving the Ambiance Colors GTK theme pack a go. I use the blackout edition personally and I have no issues.

As a side note, that image link is odd. I had to right click it then click View Image to follow it. I've never seen that done before.

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#3 2015-09-01 05:45:23

bu.domino

Thanks for that suggestion! Most of the extra space seems to have gone away, with the exception of this:
HyTnMgb.png
It's now just an annoyance, but in case I find another program with the same problem, it would be nice to know why this is happening in the first place.

#4 2015-09-01 16:18:51

Silkworm205

This isn't a fix by any means, but Caja is a GTK2 fork of Nautilus. That shouldn't have this issue, so you could give that a go for a while.

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#5 2015-09-01 17:56:32

ooo

You should test if this is persistent with the default Adwaita theme. If not, it's a bug with the theme, and you should bug its developers. Otherwise it could be an issue with the application or your user's configuration.

For some reason, with every gtk 3.* update there seems to be some changes with the theming that break most unofficial themes until they're updated to work with latest version. From the screenshots I'm guessing the issue is caused by the new scroll under- and overshoot effects introduced in gtk 3.16.

Luckily, it's quite easy to inject custom css to the theme. Try if adding the following to your ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css would fix the issue:

.overshoot.top {
background-color: transparent;
background-image: none;
}
.overshoot.top:backdrop {
}
.overshoot.bottom {
}
.overshoot.bottom:backdrop {
}
.overshoot.left {
}
.overshoot.left:backdrop {
}
.overshoot.right {
}
.overshoot.right:backdrop {
}

or just switch to a theme that's updated to work with gtk 3.16 :)

Last edited by ooo (2015-09-01 17:58:12)

#6 2015-09-06 06:17:40

bu.domino

You're right, it's mostly a problem with the GTK theme itself. Other themes do not have the problem. I have no time to dig into the theme files and figure out why they're acting up (as your suggested fix didn't fix everything), so I've decided to switch to a similar enough theme that is updated to work with 3.16.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by bu.domino (2015-09-06 06:17:53)

Board footer