You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-06 18:13:39

jtb

[SOLVED] Problem with Intel/NVidia combo

Hello,

I was able to get an UEFI-secure-boot Bitlocker-Windows10 Encrypted-Arch DualBoot setup to work without any problems, but fail miserably in starting up X.

It's an Intel/NVIDIA GeForce GT750M combo (Acer Apsire V5-573G) which in theory is Optimus capable, but I would not care for any 3D accel or Optimus stuff if only X (LXDE) would start up correctly.

The Nouveau driver throws error messages (bad table pointer) right from the first seconds of boot, so I blacklisted it.

Installing the nvidia driver and following the wiki instructions for both Optimus (b) and non-Optimus (a) style NVIDIA did not help, failing in (a) with Xorg.0.log telling me that there were no screens found and in case (b) just locking up during the X start process (no matter whether chained with startlxde or not).

So I wanted to just use the Intel card or some base driver, as I do not care that much for the fancy 3D stuff (that's not what I installed Arch for on that laptop), but it seems I can't stop startx from loading NVidia stuff, even after running

pacman -Rs nvidia
pacman -Syu mesa mesa-libgl

and deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf (backup is present just in case) and even just some minutes ago moving libglx.so out from /lib/moduls/xorg/extensions as it Xorg.0.log claimed it was still NVidia GLX.

X is still not starting (not that surprising currently), but what confuses me is that it is still loading the NVidia driver.

If anyone is able & willing to provide in getting the setup to load correctly (as a basic version or with all capabilities), I'd be glad to hear suggestions smile. I'm not exactly an Xorg.conf hacker.

Last edited by jtb (2015-09-06 18:55:28)

#2 2015-09-06 18:31:11

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with Intel/NVidia combo

is nvidia-libgl still installed? It's not a dep of the nvidia but mesa-libgl should theoretically throw it out,  is xf86-video-intel installed? post your xorg.0.log don't make us guess what may be wrong on your system and don't just move around libs handled by pacman

#3 2015-09-06 18:37:40

jtb

V1del wrote:

is nvidia-libgl still installed? It's not a dep of the nvidia but mesa-libgl should theoretically throw it out,  is xf86-video-intel installed? post your xorg.0.log don't make us guess what may be wrong on your system and don't just move around libs handled by pacman

Sorry for the too-short error report. I know I shouldn't move around libs, it was just a test, that's why I moved it away so I can move it back.

Actually the problem was more embarrasing to me than I thought: I was away from my computer for some hours and that made me forget it wasn't rebooted after the NVIDIA uninstallation.

I'm very sorry for wasting your time. It's now running with the Intel driver without a problem.

#4 2015-09-06 18:42:50

V1del
Forum Moderator

Well, happens to the best of us, don't forget to prepend solved to your initial post's title

Board footer