You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-06 10:38:51

ekke

/etc/pacman.conf

Could somebody upload a copy of it?  I accidentally deleted a part of it.

#2 2015-09-06 10:53:13

lucke

#3 2015-09-06 14:43:14

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: /etc/pacman.conf

For future reference, the are several other ways to get the original copy:

• re-install the package (it will be installed as /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew if you have changed it)

• directly extract it from the package archive in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/

• use my pkg-extract_original script

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2015-09-06 14:50:28

Scimmia
Fellow

Xyne wrote:

• re-install the package (it will be installed as /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew if you have changed it)

For further future reference, this only works if it's been changed in the package also, so it's not an option when reinstalling the same version.

#5 2015-09-06 16:11:00

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Scimmia wrote:
Xyne wrote:

For further future reference, this only works if it's been changed in the package also, so it's not an option when reinstalling the same version.

If he accidentally deleted a part of it or otherwise modified it then it would work. If it hasn't been changed then he already has the original version.

#6 2015-09-06 16:32:48

Scimmia
Fellow

Xyne wrote:
Scimmia wrote:
Xyne wrote:

If he accidentally deleted a part of it or otherwise modified it then it would work. If it hasn't been changed then he already has the original version.

No, it doesn't. .pacnew files are only created when the checksum of the file in the package changes.

#7 2015-09-06 16:53:59

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Scimmia wrote:

No, it doesn't. .pacnew files are only created when the checksum of the file in the package changes.

I know, but that is besides the point. The question in this thread is how to obtain the original copy of the file included in the package after modifying the installed copy.

Whether or not the file has been modified, installing the package ensures that the original copy is copied to the system. The only difference is whether the pacnew suffix is added.

#8 2015-09-06 22:35:14

Scimmia
Fellow

Xyne wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

I know, but that is besides the point. The question in this thread is how to obtain the original copy of the file included in the package after modifying the installed copy.

Whether or not the file has been modified, installing the package ensures that the original copy is copied to the system. The only difference is whether the pacnew suffix is added.

And I'm saying that that does not happen. Try it. Reinstalling the same package does NOT create pacnew files.

Board footer