You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-06 10:12:46

yurikoles

How about parameter about disk size requirements to build in PKGBUILD?

From one point of view it's good to use RAM in order to speedup build from source. We have tarball or git clone of large amount of small files.
But from another point view there is some packages that just create repack of some binary release, for example android-studio.
In second case there mostly linear read and write of some relatively large files.

I want to use /tmp for some of the packages from first category, and maybe some relatively small packages from second. one. So I want to propose for two new parameters for PKGBUILD: build from source or repack, and size requirements for build.

#2 2015-09-06 10:31:23

Raynman

Re: How about parameter about disk size requirements to build in PKGBUILD?

Adding size requirements seems like a hassle. And with source build vs. repack, I suppose you also want to extend makepkg, introduce a "REPACKDIR" option and have it automatically switch between that and BUILDDIR?

Anyway, if you want to propose something, go ahead and write a proposal (work it out a bit further).

But, assuming you don't blindly run makepkg on PKGBUILDs for software you know nothing about, you should know which category you're dealing with (from inspecting the PKGBUILD) and you can have some idea about the size of the project (from the website or other sources that made you aware of this software's existence in the first place), so you can just run

$ BUILDDIR=/not/tmp makepkg

(or use an alias for this) for things like android-studio.

#3 2015-09-07 22:05:49

karol
Archivist

Re: How about parameter about disk size requirements to build in PKGBUILD?

You can add notes to PKGBUILDs:

# The build process needs at least 1.5 GB RAM for 32-bit, ~ 2 GB for 64-bit.

Board footer