You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-08 19:28:40

chittu

pulseaudio no card detected (needs GUI login), analog profile

Primary use as Media/Data server and I rarely use it as Desktop. I play music from mpd (from CLI)and I can't get audio working until I login into GUI and to set the audio device and profile. I have Xonar DGX card and have couple of issues. First pluseaudio can't detect the sound card until I login into GUI Desktop (gdm), the second issue is to choose analog output profile (look at the picture below).

alsa-utils, pulseaudio-alsa, alsa-lib alsa-utils are installed

(first issue) No audio card detected by pulse audio

Before GUI login

lspci | grep “Audio”
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller (rev 0c)
02:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]

pulseaudio doesn't start (I have to do pulseaudio --start), still it doesn't detect the card

$ pacmd list-cards      
0 card(s) available.

Alsamixer shows up Xonar DGX card

$alsamixer
$ cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
        type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
        type pulse
}

The moment I login in GUI (gdm), pulseaudio starts automatically and detects cards

$ pacmd list-cards
pacmd list-cards
1 card(s) available.
    index: 0
        name: <alsa_card.pci-0000_02_04.0>

Complete output: pastebin

Why pulseaudio doesn't detect my card in-prior to my GUI login? how to fix this?

(second issue) how to choose analog output profile
I am using qasmixer to choose "Stereo Headphones" instead of default "Stereo Headphones FP" (look at the picture below). Upon reboot it goes back to "Stereo Headphones FP"
NyiqO7P.jpg
51tVPEM.jpg
fbKjNMB.jpg

How to choose this "Stereo Headphones" analog output from CLI? alsamixer doesn't have any option to change analog profile!

Last edited by chittu (2015-09-08 19:29:12)

#2 2015-09-08 20:07:23

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: pulseaudio no card detected (needs GUI login), analog profile

pacmd set-sink-port alsa_output.pci-0000_02_04.0.analog-stereo  analog-output-headphones

to set the port (if that didn't work post

pacmd list-sinks

if that did work, put the line without the pacmd at the end of your /etc/pulse/default.pa

If you haven't logged in yet in the GUI, have you started GDM anyway? iirc it creates its own pulse instance which would be blocking your own

sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*

to confirm. If it is, solution would be switching your default target away from graphical to multi-user and only starting gdm on an as needed basis.

If this wasn't the problem, post

pulseaudio -vvv

in the no card case to go further from that

And note in general, you are using pulseaudio so use its tools, mixing and matching with plain alsamixers will bring you pain

Last edited by V1del (2015-09-08 20:09:18)

#3 2015-09-08 20:21:52

bleach

nvm

Last edited by bleach (2015-09-08 20:26:22)

#4 2015-09-09 09:23:22

chittu

Pulseaudio doesn't start from CLI login, so

pacmd list-sinks

or

pacmd set-sink-port alsa_output.pci-0000_02_04.0.analog-stereo  analog-output-headphones

ends on error

No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

If I manually start Pulseaudio from CLI, still no cards are detected and pacmd list-sinks doesn't show my audio card rather it shows some dummy output

///If you haven't logged in yet in the GUI, have you started GDM anyway? iirc it creates its own pulse instance which would be blocking your own////
sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*

sorry, I don't understand this still I issued the above command and I got no effect.

pulseaudio -vvv

Here is the output: pastebin

Even I can't change the (sub?)port of Analog output from CLI (I can switch between Analog to digital with pacmd set-card-profile): i.e., from "Stereo Headphones FP"(which is default)  to "Stereo Headphones" (look at the picture in my first post)

#5 2015-09-09 11:17:37

V1del
Forum Moderator

The first part is assuming you have a valid card (logged in to X if necessary)

What's the output of fuser -v /dev/snd/*? I'm asking if you have started GDM, and then switch to a VT and then log in from there, which would be the problem. What hints me to that is

D: [pulseaudio] module-udev-detect.c: /dev/snd/controlC0 is accessible: no

If that isn't the case, try starting pulseaudio as a systemd user service like so

systemctl --user start pulseaudio.service

and check if it works then.

Last edited by V1del (2015-09-09 11:20:52)

#6 2015-09-09 13:55:08

chittu

After login into GUI (gdm) (if not logged in GUI then I get no response)

$ sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*
                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC0:  username      700 F.... pulseaudio
                     gdm         816 F.... pulseaudio

Still I can't get, how to do this

////and then switch to a VT and then log in from there, which would be the problem. ////

and this

/////D: [pulseaudio] module-udev-detect.c: /dev/snd/controlC0 is accessible: no/////

Before login into GUI

$ sudo systemctl --user start pulseaudio.service
Failed to get D-Bus connection: No such file or directory

#7 2015-09-09 14:21:38

V1del
Forum Moderator

If you don't get a response while not logged in then that's fine.

don't use sudo run it as your user, and look into  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd/User , particularly the D-Bus part, although I don't really know why this would be such a hassle to get pulse running without an active X session

If all else fails: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar … ystemWide/ <- This may be a suitable workaround but it's highly discouraged and has several implications as noted here: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar … ystemWide/

Ideally getting it to run as a systemd user service would be the preferable solution

Last edited by V1del (2015-09-09 14:40:47)

Board footer