You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-09 15:03:20

janwil

[Solved] Trying to get QuickCam 4000 Pro webcam to work

Hi all,

I read through the forum and found related issues, but no solution that would work for me, so I just try asiking again.

I have a Logitech QuickCam 4000 Pro USB webcam. When I plug it in, it gets correctly recognized:

[jan@localhost ~]$ dmesg
usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
usb 3-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
pwc Logitech QuickCam 4000 Pro USB webcam detected.
pwc Registered as /dev/video0.

The module pwc gets loaded and /dev/video0 is created. However, no matter which application I try (I tried kopete, xawtv, gqcam and camstream), I only get a black window. Xawtv and camstream manage to make snapshots, but those are empty, too.

So what is I am doing wrong?

Thanx for the help,
Jan

EDIT: Yes, I am in the video group.

#2 2006-04-10 03:37:32

weaner

Re: [Solved] Trying to get QuickCam 4000 Pro webcam to work

I got my quickcam pro working fairly painlessly in Arch.
You'll need the pwc drivers and you can get them here, I've got version pwc-10.0.11.tar.bz2.

Extract it someplace and:

cd /path/to/pwc-10.0.11/
make
su root
make install

I'm certain your quickcam only switches on when it is in use so you'll have to use the following to get it work:

modprobe pwc power_save=1

Alternatively you can add the following line to your /etc/modprobe.conf so it will always use the power_save option.

options pwc power_save=1

#3 2006-04-10 07:49:59

janwil

weaner wrote:

I got my quickcam pro working fairly painlessly in Arch.
You'll need the pwc drivers and you can get them here, I've got version pwc-10.0.11.tar.bz2.

Hmm, the strange thing is that after plugging my webcam without installing anything specific, the correct pwc module was loaded. So is pwc provided by stock kernel as well? If so, why do I need a special package?

Anyway, pwc package is also provided in Arch/Extra, so just writing

pacman -S pwc

installed me pwc-10.0.11. I guess that's equivalent to what You suggested. Still, the screen is blank.

I'm certain your quickcam only switches on when it is in use so you'll have to use the following to get it work:

modprobe pwc power_save=1

Alternatively you can add the following line to your /etc/modprobe.conf so it will always use the power_save option.

options pwc power_save=1

OK, I am not at work right now, I will try this when getting there. However, I am not sure that I have a power save issue. There is a LED on the cam and it switches on every time I try to use it. So the power is on.

EDIT: Tried the suggestion above. The screen is still blank.

Any other ideas worth of try?

Jan

#4 2006-04-10 16:20:55

weaner

Before getting the source I tried the package in pacman without any luck. I had a green screen instead of a black one.
Try the source package, what have you to lose?

#5 2006-04-10 18:01:34

napoleon

I had the same problem. What works for me is i grap the current pkgbuild and without changing a thing i build the package and upgrade to my local build. You should be running the target kernel though.

Let me know if it works.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

#6 2006-04-11 12:37:43

janwil

napoleon wrote:

I had the same problem. What works for me is i grap the current pkgbuild and without changing a thing i build the package and upgrade to my local build. You should be running the target kernel though.

Let me know if it works.

Strangely enough, it does. What I also had to do was to disable the pwc.ko provided by the stock kernel (just renaming it was enough). Can anyone explain why just plain rebuilding helps? And why is pwc.ko provided by the kernel not good?

Now I can see my image and make snapshots, but trying to capture a video clip with xawtv's streamer results in an error. Since it is not a hardware nor a kernel bug, I will open a different thread in another section of the forum (probably Multimedia).

Thanx for the help and let's work on!

Jan

Board footer