You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-09 10:54:37

jw

[solved] kwin crashes when restoring window

hey all

i am experiencing consistent crashes with kwin since the upgrade to 3.5.2. it appears to be an upstream bug and would like to hear if someone can reproduce.

on my setup the following steps crash kwin:
* open a window (ie konqueror)
* open a second window on a different desktop (ie another konqueror session) and minimize it
* switch back and forth between desktops (using keyboard)
* restore minimized window (using alt+tab)

can someone repeat these steps and post the result?

edit: i've just found out that the crash does not occur if i switch desktops by clicking pager, but does occur if i use keyboard shortcuts. seems this is a really weird bug :?

#2 2006-04-09 15:39:17

jw

Re: [solved] kwin crashes when restoring window

seems like the bug is indeed upstream

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=124826

also: the crash does not only occur after switching desktop. restoring ANY window using alt+tab crashes kwin, as does pressing alt+tab on an empty desktop.

time to roll back to 3.5.1 i guess

#3 2006-04-09 15:56:22

mpie

dude that bug is from mandriva rpms... (known universaly for their stabitilty)!

and refers to trying to restore empty windows..
have tried my hardest to replicate it here, including alt and tab when there is no window to restore, and it's not happening here..

the bug report askes for kwinrc files might be worth adding yours to it if it happens for you or you may wanna check your settings e.g compostite

#4 2006-04-09 18:46:49

jw

you're right that the reporter uses mandriva but comments confirm the bug for Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo and FreeBSD.

moreover: one of the comments mentions that the crash also occurs when pressing alt+tab on an empty desktop (ie no windows to cycle through), which I can confirm on my box. so I'd definitely say this is the same bug.

btw: i tried deleting kwinrc and restarting KDE, but the issue remains. so that would seem to rule out a configuration issue. i also switched the window decorator and the theme, but this does not help either

#5 2006-04-10 18:31:50

jw

[solved] here's some info for reference:

the bug mentioned above is now marked as a duplicate of bug, which is fixed in SVN. here's the url:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=124511

patching the file ktabbar.cpp to current SVN and recompiling kdebase solves the issue. for those who are experiencing the bug and want a fix, here's a diff of current SVN wrt the offending version from 3.5.2:

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/ … 1&format=h

Board footer