You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-15 21:04:42

aliengrey

[SOLVED]Invisible printer HP-ENVY-4500 - only print to the file option

I try to install my  printer HP-ENVY-4500 with cups and hplip and i don't understand why in notification area (HPLIP status service) I get name of my printer like if everything is O.K and is just no events but when I look in the HP Device manager there is no printer added. CUPS web interface answer me when i try to add one:

Add Printer
Add Printer HP_ENVY_4500_series Error
Unable to get list of printer drivers:
    Success
Add Printer HP_ENVY_4500_series Error
Unable to get list of printer drivers:
    Success

and when i try to print something -there is only " print to the file" option.With HPLIP I'd found good PPD file without problem- but after installation -there nothing happend.
Like if I never do anything
Printer work fine in Virtualbox machine L-MINT -and i know that I can't use in one time with VM and host. Thanks for all help - is 2 weeks now - and i have no more ideas..
lsusb show me this printer like:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 03f0:c511 Hewlett-Packard

Last edited by aliengrey (2015-09-18 09:19:25)

#2 2015-09-16 13:26:35

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED]Invisible printer HP-ENVY-4500 - only print to the file option

post output of pacman -Qs foomatic please.

/var/log/cups/error.log may also be helpful

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2015-09-16 13:34:17

aliengrey

[archangel@HELL ~]$ sudo pacman -Qs foomatic
[sudo] password for archangel: 
local/cups-filters 1.0.76-1
    OpenPrinting CUPS Filters
local/foomatic-db 3:20150904-1
    Foomatic - The collected knowledge about printers, drivers, and driver
    options in XML files, used by foomatic-db-engine to generate PPD files.
local/foomatic-db-engine 3:20150904-1
    Foomatic - Foomatic's database engine generates PPD files from the data in
    Foomatic's XML database. It also contains scripts to directly generate print
    queues and handle jobs.
local/foomatic-db-nonfree 3:20150904-1
    Foomatic - database extension consisting of manufacturer-supplied PPD files
    released under non-free licenses

#4 2015-09-17 19:40:46

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

that confirms my feeling.

check the note at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS#HPLIP_Driver

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#5 2015-09-18 08:11:14

aliengrey

There are two ways of installation in this note - and I tried both- with this same resault.Now were no even small problem with CUPS web UI installation mode - after reboot my -stil I can found my printer in "manage printers" of CUPS.

HP_ENVY_4500_series	HP ENVY 4500 series	HELL	HP Envy 4500 Series, hpcups 3.15.7	Idle 

like if my problem should be solved - but after "Print Preview" I get message "Failed to print document - The selected printer '(null)' could not be found " - and for printing directly without previev - is like before - only option for "Print to the file" - and no printer there.
Thank you for interessing about my problem - any more idea ? HA!! Just now I'd open PRINT SETTINGS and there is info:"Printing service not available . Start the service on this computer or connect to the another server ." So meaby its problem with some deamon? -I'll try!

Last edited by aliengrey (2015-09-18 08:11:56)

#6 2015-09-18 09:09:35

aliengrey

No - that's not a problem with deamon or permission.. I SOLVED this problem with a wonderfull package system-config-printer- after reboot again -easy,fast and absolutly for newbies like me.Everything works great - THANKS A LOT -AGAIN.

Last edited by aliengrey (2015-09-18 09:24:47)

#7 2015-09-18 22:08:17

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Another case were CUPS behaviour is messed up so badly that it can only be solved by installing system-config-printer  .

I've seen many of those cases, but they were always with certain DEs. Which is it this time, gnome, cinnamon, KDE ?

Glad i could help you finding a solution, aliengrey .

#8 2015-09-19 09:44:42

aliengrey

Xfce !! but i have many packages of gnome and KDE . In reality that's was not a finish of my printer troubles .: How I saw after some task in /something-??-don't remember/bin/ called 'cupsd -l' was eating 40 - 75% of CPU all the time. I had to disebled deamon for cups -and now it's work like should to. I dont understand reason - is it because i started and enabled deamon few times  (if is possible ?) or meaby there was a fight for a priority rights between CUPS deamon and system-config-printer wich is nothing else than CUPS configuration tool.
Anyway - without org.cups.cupsd.service my machine can print ,scan and Idon't wait 1'30s for close remote service when I shut down (yeh-that I observed also -even if i never agree remote option - that could be to complicated for me if more than 2 weeks i spend with traditional USB connection ).

#9 2015-09-19 18:47:07

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

I think cups service clashed with other services that provide printing functionality.

Based on systems i maintain and observation from threads about cups problems :

GTK3 based DE's and KDE seem to use their own printing system, and this takes over many things from cups.
If you stick to cups OR that DE printing system for configuration things usually work.
Mixing them often leads to trouble.

lxde, lxqt , openbox, razor-qt, i3 , w3m etc tend to work fine with just cups.

Board footer